Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 08:25 PM

7,529 posts, read 3,930,743 times

Advertisements

I won't pay more for organic. I wash produce thoroughly, spin my lettuce, and am careful about cross-contamination.

Being in my 60s, I doubt there is any health benefit to it. I'll die of a heart attack or stroke long before pesticides have any effect on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 07:40 AM

1,157 posts, read 634,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
I won't pay more for organic. I wash produce thoroughly, spin my lettuce, and am careful about cross-contamination.

Being in my 60s, I doubt there is any health benefit to it. I'll die of a heart attack or stroke long before pesticides have any effect on me.
The thing is this.. most of the minute traces of pesticides and all of the other toxic sources in our environment are cumulative.

It's like a fish living in the Great Lakes. A small fish is edible because the levels of mercury and other toxins are very very low because it's young and not enough time has passed to accumulate high levels. On the other hand an old huge Lake Trout which is 50 yrs old is not edible because it's accumulated levels of mercury and dioxin is high in its fat and tissues.

I do understand why people would buy certain organic produce if they can afford it.

The problem is that food is already quite expensive, so tacking on the organic premium is oftentimes prohibitive.

Old 04-25-2024, 06:29 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,058,351 times
you asked:What do you all think?

It's great there are choices for food we buy.
I buy some organic veggies, not all, don't have a thought-out plan.
Thinking about going 100% organic, pesticide is my reason, somehow not afraid of staph.
Would not be that expensive.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:18 AM

12,580 posts, read 9,685,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
you asked:What do you all think?

It's great there are choices for food we buy.
I buy some organic veggies, not all, don't have a thought-out plan.
Thinking about going 100% organic, pesticide is my reason, somehow not afraid of staph.
Would not be that expensive.
I am like you - I tend to favor organic, but am not strict about that and also weigh e.g. price as well. I don't know why it would be different, but it seems like the organic premium on packaged foods is less than it is on fresh, whole foods.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:38 AM

19,863 posts, read 22,764,998 times
We grow most of our leafy greens like kale, cabbage, collards, mixed salad greens etc. We can and freeze a lot for year round use, so in essence organic. Greens are often found on the dirty dozen list for pesticides, so we are glad to grow them.

Bugs? Bacteria? If we have bugs on our garden produce we don't fret nor apply pesticides. As far as we're concerned some bug damage just shows it's fit to eat, lol. Bacteria? Other than washing we do nothing out of the ordinary. That falls into the category of "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger", lol.

Old 04-27-2024, 06:51 PM

7,669 posts, read 8,748,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We grow most of our leafy greens like kale, cabbage, collards, mixed salad greens etc. We can and freeze a lot for year round use, so in essence organic. Greens are often found on the dirty dozen list for pesticides, so we are glad to grow them.

Bugs? Bacteria? If we have bugs on our garden produce we don't fret nor apply pesticides. As far as we're concerned some bug damage just shows it's fit to eat, lol. Bacteria? Other than washing we do nothing out of the ordinary. That falls into the category of "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger", lol.

Nice

I knew people who deliberately chose vegetables and fruit with signs of bug damages because that meant they didn't have pesticide, or didn't have too much

Old 04-28-2024, 11:48 AM

32,684 posts, read 48,217,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
.......What do you all think?
I think that if you are buying your lettuce at the supermarket, you should wash it before you eat it.

The same goes for any fresh fruit or vegetables that you buy, whether they are labeled organic or not. If you wash the produce and use some fairly normal food safety practices, you don't have to worry about getting sick from veggies.

Even my home grown stuff, where I know exactly what has been put on it, what it has been fed, and what the soil is like, all get a rinse before anyone eats them. (well, except for the tomatoes which we pluck and eat right off the vine)

I also do not think it matters whether or not produce is organic. Any and all produce has the potential to carry protozoa and bacteria that has come from the environment it was grown in or from the persons who harvested and packed it.

Old 05-02-2024, 03:20 PM

17,652 posts, read 15,352,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think that if you are buying your lettuce at the supermarket, you should wash it before you eat it.

The same goes for any fresh fruit or vegetables that you buy, whether they are labeled organic or not. If you wash the produce and use some fairly normal food safety practices, you don't have to worry about getting sick from veggies.

Even my home grown stuff, where I know exactly what has been put on it, what it has been fed, and what the soil is like, all get a rinse before anyone eats them. (well, except for the tomatoes which we pluck and eat right off the vine)

I also do not think it matters whether or not produce is organic. Any and all produce has the potential to carry protozoa and bacteria that has come from the environment it was grown in or from the persons who harvested and packed it.

Any kind of fruit/vegetable that isn't bagged or you wouldn't peel should be washed before you eat it. Not because of pesticides, but because you never know when little Danny Dummy's finger just went from nose to butt to every apple or whatever in the bin.

Or worse.. Butt to nose to apple.

Even worse than that.. Little Danny Dummy's parent doing it.

Even those that you do peel, you're handling them.. So.. Transfer to your hands..

As for stuff you grow at home.. Well.. Are you sure your neighbor's poodle didn't take a piddle on it at some time?

Old 05-04-2024, 12:33 PM

50,412 posts, read 64,161,814 times
To me, organic just means you pay extra for bugs and dirt. My stores have beautiful clean produce, for less $$, and it hasn’t killed us yet.

Old 05-04-2024, 02:15 PM

12,580 posts, read 9,685,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Yes, crops may be fertilized with manure that was never composted and is still teeming with bacteria . Crops may be watered from microbia-laden water sources - for example recycled water or water that's been contaminated with agricultural manure runoff. Drinking water needs to pass a certain standard of sanitation, but crop water does not - it does not even need to be tested, let alone clean. Field workers may take a dump and then not wash their hands, and then go on to handle your lettuce. There are many possible common routes to contaminated veggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink