Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 10:58 PM

7,669 posts, read 8,748,317 times

Advertisements

I stumbled upon this article:

Maybe not as good as you think: organic vegetables could be harboring disease-causing bacteria

Quote:
organic vegetables are home to unicellular organisms like free-living amoeba (FLA) that mostly eat bacteria and don’t generally cause disease. However, some of these bacteria species which are pathogenic may enter the human body via the amoeba (after evading their digestion by the FLA) and cause various health problems.
I choose organic vegetables not for more nutritions but to avoid pesticides which may cause cancer. I'd think these bacteria are less harmful than pesticides.

There is also the question about the motives of the pro- and anti- organic aricles.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 02:14 PM

23,404 posts, read 19,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post

Maybe not as good as you think: organic vegetables could be harboring disease-causing bacteria

I choose organic vegetables not for more nutritions but to avoid pesticides which may cause cancer. I'd think these bacteria are less harmful than pesticides.

There is also the question about the motives of the pro- and anti- organic aricles.

What do you all think?
That's fine for you, but consider that someone with a less robust or compromised immune system (including young children, babies, the elderly, someone with certain health conditions) exposure to those microorganisms may not be fine.

What do I think? The world's a messy, biologically competitive, dog-eat-dog place. Organic farming accepts more aspects of that reality. I think a person needs to do their due diligence and educate themselves about the pros and cons of "organic" as it applies to their individual situation. What might be sauce for the goose may NOT be sauce for the gander.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-15-2024 at 02:26 PM..

Old 04-15-2024, 02:44 PM

1,157 posts, read 634,202 times
Interesting article.

Goes to show that not everything is cut and dried.

In the very least it shows that maybe eating "raw" veggies is not the best thing to do. I'm assuming these pathogens would be killed off if cooked.

I've heard so many "recalls" of mixed salad products because of bacteria / pathogen problems.

Question is... what happens to non-organic veggies that kills off all the pathogens? Or the amoeba's?

Old 04-15-2024, 03:35 PM

12,580 posts, read 9,685,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Interesting article.

Goes to show that not everything is cut and dried.

In the very least it shows that maybe eating "raw" veggies is not the best thing to do. I'm assuming these pathogens would be killed off if cooked.

I've heard so many "recalls" of mixed salad products because of bacteria / pathogen problems.

Question is... what happens to non-organic veggies that kills off all the pathogens? Or the amoeba's?
Yes, there have been issues with some dangerous bacteria like Salmonella, Listeria and E. Coli hitchhiking in salad greens here. Fortunately, most fresh greens are safe... but, you can't take anything for granted. If you're unlucky, these things can kill you.

Rinsing thoroughly with water will wash off most of the surface microbes, which will reduce the dose you would get - which is helpful, even if there was something there. Cooking in boiling water 10+ minutes will kill just about anything, but it will also degrade the texture and nutrition of tender veggies.

Some info from the CDC and American Scientist
https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/commu...fy-greens.html

https://www.americanscientist.org/article/safer-salads

P.S. For what it's worth, to my knowledge, most pesticides used on produce are either fungicides or insecticides, which I don't think will kill the above bacteria. That said, fungus can be dangerous, and e.g. worms are at the least, a very unappetizing source of protein.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 04-15-2024 at 03:51 PM..

Old 04-15-2024, 03:47 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,338,433 times
I never buy organic vegetables unless it is priced the same or lower than conventional produce. I have been in the major growing areas of California with representatives of the major growers and I see so little difference (other than the price).

I do consume a lot of organics as that represents a significant amount of the produce salvage in Southern Arizona that is distributed at minimal prices to consumers by local non-profits. So much of organic produce is wasted as it is priced way beyond the levels that the average working class family can afford it. Walmart's decision years ago to stock organic produce DID significantly reduce its cost but there is a substantial premium.

Old 04-15-2024, 03:56 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,425,459 times
I always choose organic unless there’s a drastic price or visual quality difference.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:14 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,356,981 times
After thoroughly washing and rinsing fruits and vegetables, I soak them in vinegar bath for 5-10 minutes. That should kill off most bacteria.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:07 AM

11,700 posts, read 6,124,466 times
I think organic is good for both reducing pesticide intake and for more nutrition. A lot of food grown today has lower nutrition from soil depletion and the aggressive use of fertilizers that don't replenish the soil with everything.

I also want to avoid consuming all the glyphosate produce sucks up when it is genetically modified. A lot of GMO produce is round-up resistant, so they hose the field with round-up and we end up injesting all of that very dangerous glyphosate.

That is a BIG reason I have been buying organic. I hate paying the higher prices for organic, but I am moving that direction more and more.

As far as getting some disease, I have long been a proponent of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". I think a little disease here and there bolsters your immunity and keeps you healthier later. But that is just me.

I am convinced Americans live too cleanly too young and it contributes to allergies, asthma, and autism -- things that are unknown in Third World nations where children pick the insects off their crusted bread they dropped in the mud. I think our bodies were made to endure a litte dirt and grime and bacteria and insects, and when we 100% avoid all of those things in youth, we have health problems later on.

Complete speculation on my part with no scientific basis whatsoever. So there is that.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:21 AM

5,907 posts, read 6,993,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
The lead article in the current issue of Consumer Reports (May/June 2024) is titled "Produce without Pesticides". I think on-line access is $3.00, but your local library probably has a hard copy.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:48 AM

7,309 posts, read 5,193,006 times
We all have this vague notion that it's not good to eat "dirty" food....but think about reality-- 350M Americans eating 3 meals a day is over a BILLION meals a day, every day and there's only a few thousand hospitalizations each year for food borne illness.....and ZERO evidence that pesticides or herbicides cause cancer anywhere besides lab rats.....

Plenty of research done and NO evidence that "organic" food is any healthier than Industrialy produced food...BTW-- food borne illness is way more common from organic produce (fertilized with manure) than from industrial produce (fertilized with "chemicals")...They can't use herbicides or pesticides (as I said, no evidence they cause disease) and call their stuff "organic," but they can use copper sulfate (HIGHLY poisonous even In small amounts) on the plants....WUWT???

Pathogens don't live IN the food. They live ON it....Wash your food with soap (pathogens & herbicides are not water soluble) if you're woried about it.

Over 90% of food borne illness is due to Staph toxin....and that's caused by improper handling of food IN YOUR OWN HOME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink