Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 09:27 PM

3,538 posts, read 6,548,631 times

Advertisements

Sometimes when I eat chicken from my fave Chinese place, there is some cartilage which is harder than fat but softer than bone. I can either take it out of my mouth (which is disgusting) or swallow it (which is also disgusting).

Is this just unavoidable when somebody chops up a chicken?

I was thinking of complaining to the restaurant - they may not understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 10:29 PM

1,035 posts, read 563,265 times
You're right, they probably wouldn't understand. Just dispose of it on your plate.

Hey, it's a Chinese restaurant! Those folks have seen things few mortals have ever seen. Who else has flattened dead chickens hanging by string in Chinatown, or eels on a stick (yes, that was what they had in San Francisco).

Back in the 80's I used to live and eat in San Francisco's notorious Tenderloin District. My go-to food place was a Chinese greasy spoon "restaurant" that had hand lettered pieces of paper in their window advertising things like "Rice and chicken $1.19", that sort of place. One day I was eating and heard the cook discussing things w/ a patron. The cook said "No, Chinese dog very good to eat! American dog, no good". It made me pay a little more attention to what I had just eaten.

Old 05-04-2024, 11:33 PM

3,538 posts, read 6,548,631 times
I shouldn't have mentioned the ethnicity of the restaurant. That really wasn't the point.

Old 05-05-2024, 04:58 AM

12,574 posts, read 9,665,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Sometimes when I eat chicken from my fave Chinese place, there is some cartilage which is harder than fat but softer than bone. I can either take it out of my mouth (which is disgusting) or swallow it (which is also disgusting).

Is this just unavoidable when somebody chops up a chicken?

I was thinking of complaining to the restaurant - they may not understand.
I don't think it's unavoidable. I guess they're using a bigger and therefore clumsier knife and butchering quickly. I am no expert, but I use a smaller knife - which still works if it's very sharp, and I look carefully as well as feel with my fingers for the structures to target with each cut.

P.S. I would screen my mouth with my hand while I do it and then try to spit out just the offending item onto the side of my plate

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 05-05-2024 at 05:30 AM..

Old 05-05-2024, 07:35 AM

24,680 posts, read 11,023,362 times
Don't order chicken.
Look at what is on your fork before eating it.

Old 05-05-2024, 09:37 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,332,760 times
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I was about to start a new one with a similar question. So I hope you don't mind, OP.

We get take-out at a Jamaican spot and the chicken is round, bony chunks with a little meat. Yesterday we tried a Trinidadian take-out spot and it's the same bony chunks in the chicken dish. Anyone know what parts of the chicken that is? As with the Chinese place, I guess it's just the cheapest cuts.

Old 05-05-2024, 02:16 PM

23,385 posts, read 19,006,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Disgusting? Such a fuss over a common and totally ordinary little event! My mother told me decades ago the "rule of thumb" about getting rid of some inedible tidbit is that "it comes out of your mouth the same way it went in". If you used a fork to put it in your mouth, use the same fork to remove it and set it on the edge of your plate. If you used your hand, use a hand to remove it. If you must be secretive, cover up with a napkin. Chances are no one you're eating with will bat an eyelash.

Old 05-05-2024, 03:01 PM

14,981 posts, read 12,197,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I was about to start a new one with a similar question. So I hope you don't mind, OP.

We get take-out at a Jamaican spot and the chicken is round, bony chunks with a little meat. Yesterday we tried a Trinidadian take-out spot and it's the same bony chunks in the chicken dish. Anyone know what parts of the chicken that is? As with the Chinese place, I guess it's just the cheapest cuts.

Necks?

Old 05-05-2024, 03:02 PM

147 posts, read 54,483 times
If I order anything that is presumably prepared or served off the bone, I consider it a given that there might be some non-meat pieces in there. I guess this is why chicken nuggets/tenders were invented, for the people that don't want to deal with that.

In any case, gristle is actually pretty nutritious and there's no harm in eating it.

Old 05-05-2024, 03:05 PM

14,981 posts, read 12,197,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Disgusting? Such a fuss over a common and totally ordinary little event! My mother told me decades ago the "rule of thumb" about getting rid of some inedible tidbit is that "it comes out of your mouth the same way it went in". If you used a fork to put it in your mouth, use the same fork to remove it and set it on the edge of your plate. If you used your hand, use a hand to remove it. If you must be secretive, cover up with a napkin. Chances are no one you're eating with will bat an eyelash.

I could see where that would work if you haven't chewed whatever it is before you decided it was inedible, so it looked the same coming out as it did going into your mouth. But when that's happened to me, I've chewed it a few times before it was apparent it wasn't edible, and I didn't want to spit it out, even onto a fork. I settled for holding a napkin up to my mouth, spitting the object into it, and then crumbling up the napkin with whatever it was inside it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink