Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 12:31 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,605,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Elderly mom wants a Holiday Fruitcake...Costco used to have good ones years ago but not anymore unfortunately. My local Wal-mart doesn't have them either (only 3 bucks for a 12 ounce cake-best deal on their website though). The only other place I found them is my local Albertsons at $11.99 for a 14 ounce cake (link below). Any other places still selling fruitcakes out there?
https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...ECAQQGg&adurl=
My local Wegman's has a Claxton fruit cake which is a 16 oz rectangle. And Whole Foods is selling a "holiday rum cake" but it looks like a fruitcake to me. You could try Vermont Country Store if you're not opposed to mail order and paying a bit more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2023, 01:07 AM

3,605 posts, read 1,656,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
My local Wegman's has a Claxton fruit cake which is a 16 oz rectangle. And Whole Foods is selling a "holiday rum cake" but it looks like a fruitcake to me. You could try Vermont Country Store if you're not opposed to mail order and paying a bit more.
Thanks, my local Whole Foods doesn't have fruitcakes either. However, Mom (and myself) do like the ones from Albertsons grocery store...just got a second one today! And yes, they are from Bogart, Georgia. Looks like a lot of fruitcakes come from the state of Georgia!

Old 12-15-2023, 11:04 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
I totally love to bake cookies. But my knees are bad and standing at the counter really hurts. So I'm afraid I may have to cut back this year. ..
Make bar cookies. Those involve very little standing. Just to mix them, then quickly into a baking pan and into the oven. Then you only have to stand up for a minute to take the pan out of the oven and set it on the counter to cool.

The Tollhouse recipe can be made as a bar cookie, and there are plenty of recipes for pumpkin bar cookies. The sugar cookies are the knee-busters, so you might have to pass on those, unless you can roll, cut, and decorate sitting down. Or compromise and bake a large shortbread in a pan and then decorate the whole cookie to cut down on the time it takes. Let the recipient cut it or break it.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:44 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Elderly mom wants a Holiday Fruitcake...Costco used to have good ones years ago but not anymore unfortunately. My local Wal-mart doesn't have them either (only 3 bucks for a 12 ounce cake-best deal on their website though). The only other place I found them is my local Albertsons at $11.99 for a 14 ounce cake (link below). Any other places still selling fruitcakes out there?
https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...ECAQQGg&adurl=
Try not your usual places such as Walgreens, CVS, Big Lots, go to Walmart and grocery stores. Do not rely on on-line offers.

Old 12-16-2023, 11:44 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Oddly, candied fruit for making your own fruitcake isn't available locally this year. My local reddit is reporting store after store not having any.

Anybody else having trouble finding it?

Old 12-16-2023, 06:21 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,132,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Make bar cookies. Those involve very little standing. Just to mix them, then quickly into a baking pan and into the oven. Then you only have to stand up for a minute to take the pan out of the oven and set it on the counter to cool.

The Tollhouse recipe can be made as a bar cookie, and there are plenty of recipes for pumpkin bar cookies. The sugar cookies are the knee-busters, so you might have to pass on those, unless you can roll, cut, and decorate sitting down. Or compromise and bake a large shortbread in a pan and then decorate the whole cookie to cut down on the time it takes. Let the recipient cut it or break it.
That is a fantastic idea. I didn't think of bar cookies, or making whole 13x9 brownie to cut up. Thanks for jogging my foggy brain to this alternative. Sugar cookies I might cheat and get a tube of slice and bake.

Old 12-17-2023, 12:13 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Oddly, candied fruit for making your own fruitcake isn't available locally this year. My local reddit is reporting store after store not having any.

I'm not making fruitcake, but when I do, I don't use the candied fruit. I use dried fruit and nuts, possibly dates, and sometimes I add coconut. ts a lot cheaper and tastes a lot better.

I do a nice fruit cake with pound cake batter, macadamia nuts, dried pineapple, dried apricots, white raisins, and wide flake coconut. Wrap in a cheesecloth oaked in good quality rum and let it cure for a couple of months, checking occasionally to see if you need to add more rum.

Old 12-17-2023, 05:37 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Just finished a batch of white chocolate, fresh raspberry scones for a gift. They turned out very Christmas-y looking.

Old 12-18-2023, 05:13 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

I had that problem a couple years ago. Could not find it anywhere! Amazon to the rescue! They had it.

Old 12-21-2023, 10:35 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,311,281 times
Baked small fruitcake in november. The recipe is from Cooking in Colour - Tess Mallos ....posted it some time ago on message board of Countrylv22 ....it is 3 parts.

The candied fruits are not sold here, so just used dried cranberries, sultanas, walnuts.

This week made very small quantity peanut brittle in oven. No candy thermometre...so used oven temperature ...approx 15 minutes.....
Ingredients peanuts, light brown sugar , sugar, butter.....adapted from BHG cookbook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink