Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 11:10 AM

130,418 posts, read 12,118,417 times

Advertisements

I have ordered some German pfeffernusse cookies, mince pies & gingersnaps from World Market. That will do it for us. I might make the Bishops bread fruit cake thing that was posted a few years ago, here on CD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 11:16 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I may make a fruitcake. The darn candied fruits this year are $$$$$ though! For a smallish container (not sure how many ounces) in Albertson’s it’s $7.99! Yikes. ........
You don't need candied fruits to make fruit cake. I buy one container of the red candied cherries for color and the rest is nuts, raisins, dried apricots, and I also add large flaked coconut. You can use dried cranberries, or dried cherries, or dried apples. A jar of drained maraschino cherries would provide just as much color as the candied cherries and taste better, too. Use a nice recipe for the cake and it is the soaking in booze that makes it a good fruit cake.

For me, this would be much too late to start a fruit cake. There are only 3 weeks to cure the cake before Christmas. That's not a lot of curing time.

I use my best pound cake recipe and my aunt uses her pumpkin cake recipe to make fruit cake.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:22 PM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
I have barely gotting stated on production of sugar overloads. This weekend it will be floors covered with drop clothes, stacks of cut cardboard (perfect disposable drip catchers for icing and sugar), bubbly in the fridge and a basket of dish towels. Let's have fun!

Our first Christmas will always be remembered. SO decided we will make bourbon balls. He got a recipe and it turned into a huge bowl full of mix. He got his spoons and cups mixed up for the bourbon. We had bourbon balls until Easter. Could probably squeezed them a bit and renamed them Bourbon Eggs.

Old 12-04-2023, 06:58 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,522,078 times
I found a South African version of thumbprint cookies, done in muffin cups with orange zest and I won't be able to sleep until I've made a batch. I gave my friend the espresso meringue cookies recipe and now she can't sleep, either.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:06 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Peanut butter fudge is a required holiday treat for us. I would like some pizzelles and I'm sure hubby wants oatmeal cookies. But to be honest, I haven't really thought about it yet.
If you want a different, and super easy, peanut butter fudge recipe, microwave a jar of creamy peanut butter (we use Jiff) for 90 seconds. Then microwave a tub of vanilla frosting (Pillsbury for us) for 60 seconds. Mix together and pour in an 8x8 pan. People we gave a Christmas plate of goodies to the last couple of years loved it. We're taking a break from Christmas goodies this year. Wife's recovering from hip replacement surgery so we're not cooking this year.

Also, if you make Rice Krispie Treats, mix in some red hot cinnamon candies. Nice little kick to it!

Old 12-04-2023, 08:15 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,418 times
I'm cutting back this year, because I am working nearly full-time. This year I am making Peanut Butter Blossoms, Ginger cookies, raspberry thumbprints, brownie cookie dough sandwiches, 3 minute fudge, and toffee. It's still a lot, but everyone wants their favorite treat so

Old 12-05-2023, 09:30 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I found a South African version of thumbprint cookies, done in muffin cups with orange zest and I won't be able to sleep until I've made a batch. I gave my friend the espresso meringue cookies recipe and now she can't sleep, either.
Time for face time in the kitchen:>)

Old 12-05-2023, 10:05 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I'm adding a melktert to xmas eve dinner.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-05-2023, 11:35 AM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Mikala, no fair to post that without a description and picture.

I mixed up a triple recipe of Norwegian kringla last night and am waiting for the dishwasher so I can get in the kitchen and shape and bake. Mine are flavored with vanilla and nutmeg, sometimes cardamon. Most people butter them and eat them like sweet rolls.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/333829391114728717/

Next I'll be making orange cranberry nut mini loaves for various neighbors and friends.

Cashew butter crunch - like peanut brittle toffee.

Others on the list are spritz and krumkake and embossed rolling pin gingerbread and shortbread cookies, We'll see how far I get down the list.

I came across an appetizer I think I'll try for our Christmas dinner. Button mushrooms stuffed with spinach artichoke dip.

Old 12-05-2023, 12:54 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Here you go! https://www.africanbites.com/milk-tart/

A custard like concoction that I felt would be a lighter dessert after a big meal.... and good for breakfast.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink