Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 10:50 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Not in my book. I look forward to these dishes because I only eat them once a year, and I like them. They bring back good childhood and adult memories.

I rarely listen to movie critics and I'm not listening to this food critic. Wow, what a party pooper killjoy. Bah humbug!

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dont-...b0373d70b31072

This guy woud love my mother's (born in 1923) ambrosia dish! Jello, cococut flakes, nuts, pineapple with a sour cream layer in between layers. My millennial kids loved it when they were little.

Please, no comments about the source. This is about the subject not the platform It came up in my feed under food, not news.
Beets.

Boiled okra.

Overcooked turkey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 10:59 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Oh My Goodness, LOL. I do like beets now, but not as a kid. I never knew what okra was growing up. Living in the South now, I know what okra is! Overcooked turkey, blech. Happened to me one year.

Old 11-19-2023, 11:01 AM

814 posts, read 442,048 times
Stuffing with walnuts

Disgusting

Old 11-19-2023, 11:03 AM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times
I haven’t made a traditional, American style thanksgiving in…gosh, probably going on 15 years. I hadn’t even remembered half these dishes.

Old 11-19-2023, 12:00 PM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
I love green bean casserole, candied sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce.

I think the suggested substitutions sound kind of gross. I love coleslaw but I pair it with barbecue or seafood, not Thanksgiving Day turkey - that just sounds wrong. I also hate cooked carrots, I only like them when they have been cooked in a crock pot all day in a beef stew. Otherwise, cooking brings out an overbearing carrot flavor that I can't stand. Might as well suggest swapping stuffing with fried rice - I love both but no way would I sub Turkey stuffing with fried rice.

We won't be having green bean casserole or candied sweet potatoes because there are already rich/starchy dishes on our menu - mac & cheese, stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls. I'll be serving asparagus and possibly plain green beans seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a dab of butter. We will be having canned cranberry sauce even though I am likely the only one who will eat it and most of it will likely not be eaten. The alternative would be a spinach salad with dried cranberries and slivered almonds or pecans added.

Old 11-19-2023, 01:15 PM

That all sounds good! Especially the spinach salad.

Old 11-19-2023, 01:54 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,198,614 times
I love sweet potatoes, candied or otherwise, though I'm not a fan of marshmallows in them.

We didn't do green bean casserole at Thanksgivings growing up, so I don't know enough about the flavor profile to love or hate it.

I actually enjoy cranberry sauce as it adds a little sweetness to balance out the richness and savoriness of everything else. That said, it's not something that I would fret about if it wasn't on the menu.

One Thanksgiving staple that I don't care for too much are mashed potatoes. For my starches, I'd rather have sweet potatoes, baked mac 'n' cheese, potato salad, etc.

Old 11-19-2023, 02:22 PM

It's interesting how many people are mentioning mac 'n' cheese for Thanksgiving Dinner. I don't think I've ever been to a meal with that on the menu. I can understand it, though. Almost everyone likes it - comfort food.

I remember years ago I saw a segment on Steve Harvey where one of his stepdaughters was on the show making her signature mac 'n' cheese. As I recall, it took about 2 hours to make and had all kinds of cheeses and steps to the process. It's probably online somewhere.

Old 11-19-2023, 02:34 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Oh My Goodness, LOL. I do like beets now, but not as a kid. I never knew what okra was growing up. Living in the South now, I know what okra is! Overcooked turkey, blech. Happened to me one year.
I was just at a meeting where someone had made pickled okra, rolled in cream cheese (like little pinwheels) and then fresh parsley. Simple and good. Pickled okra is good in Bloody Marys, too.

Old 11-19-2023, 02:41 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
I think that's why my recipe didn't turn out well the last time I made it. Something was off. I was very disappointed.

Does anyone remember the fake apple pie that we used to be able to make with Ritz Crackers?!
My sister used to make the mock apple pie with Ritz crackers when she was first married and really broke. I didn't have the heart to tell her it wouldn't fool anyone even as a "mock" apple pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink