Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 03:45 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,912,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Friends that used to host a HUGE gathering (now that the kids are growing up in the family, not anymore) - one person brings a broccoli casserole (similar to the green been casserole) - nobody EVER ate it but every year... there it was.
There's always "that" dish isn't there?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2023, 03:46 PM

In the past few years I've had to be careful on Thanksgiving Day. Because I don't eat like that all the time (who does?!) I get heartburn. Smaller portions have worked somewhat, but where's the fun in that?!

Old 11-18-2023, 04:24 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,592,374 times
Ah, the joy of first world problems...

Old 11-18-2023, 04:59 PM

6,818 posts, read 4,263,999 times
It's just clickbait if we're honest. The 'meat' of the article is that Instacart poll from a few years back. But then you gotta consider the way the question is asked.

They don't reveal their questionnaire and the data in full (a red flag concerning the seriousness of the survey), but based on the wording in the article the question was likely asked as "Do you agree that <this dish> is among the worst side dishes on Thanksgiving?" If you look at the percentages, there's no majority for any of them. Not even close. In other words, a majority of people still likes all of those dishes.

Look at the 'winner' i.e. the dish with the lowest % of people who dislike it - dinner rolls. That's not even a real side dish. That's just bread. And it's hardly anything anyone would get excited about. In fact, we never have them with Thanksgiving dinner, even though I am a bread lover, because there already are so many carbs involved in that dinner and it really doesn't need it (stuffing already has bread in it). If someone wrote an article "dinner rolls are America's favorite Thanksgiving side dish" it would probably just lead to head-shaking and scoffing.

If I look at that survey, the thing I wanna complain about it is people preferring white meat turkey. Sure, if you gotta watch your waistline that white meat comes in handy, but white turkey meat might be the worst meat you can legally buy in this country. Serving white meat turkey is the kind of stuff that causes you to be eliminated on a cooking competition. The forgettable nature of white turkey meat is arguably the reason why there's so many side dishes in the first place.

Old 11-18-2023, 05:02 PM

1,831 posts, read 810,819 times
I never liked sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce or pumpkin pie because of the taste & texture of the dishes involved. When I was involved in making the meal, I made these changes:

Sweet potatoes: no canned, slimy sweet potatoes, marshmallows, gag. Bake whole sweet potatoes, mash with butter, serve.

Cranberry sauce: no canned slime. Buy fresh, raw cranberries, cook per package directions, using less sugar than recommended

Pumpkin pie. just no. Apple crisp with fresh, not canned apples.

Green bean casserole was never part of the equation, fresh baby green peas are better.

Turkey is cooked outdoors in Weber kettle, yielding smoky drippings to enhance homemade giblet gravy.

A crudite dish is a necessity, carrot & celery sticks, radish roses, black olives, sweet gherkins, all on cut glass serving dishes. That's just nostalgia for me.

I think a lot of these "traditional" sides got started in the 1950's by the canned food companies promoting their unhealthy "convenience foods" that many people grew up with, that we know now are so bad for you.

In reality, I don't do any of this anymore.

Last edited by CalWorth; 11-18-2023 at 05:18 PM..

Old 11-18-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
If I look at that survey, the thing I wanna complain about it is people preferring white meat turkey. Sure, if you gotta watch your waistline that white meat comes in handy, but white turkey meat might be the worst meat you can legally buy in this country. Serving white meat turkey is the kind of stuff that causes you to be eliminated on a cooking competition. The forgettable nature of white turkey meat is arguably the reason why there's so many side dishes in the first place.
Ha! I agree. I love having Thanksgiving dinner with white meat eaters. All the more dark meat for me! It's interesting how the preferences are really strong on both sides. There were one or two times when I had wonderful, juicy, tender white meat. The rest of the times, no.

Old 11-19-2023, 12:07 AM

1,120 posts, read 1,135,958 times
I've done a major revamp of Thanksgiving dinner from the one I grew up with, with all the family gathered around and the table groaning under the full plates. And included everything listed and many that were not. Personally, I love sweet potatoes, but just baked or steamed with butter and salt, and I am the only one who likes them so they are not part of the meal.. Dressing, of course and Mom's homemade was never dry, so neither is mine. Green bean casserole strangely never appeared until my daughter's fiance brought it the first year he ate with us. Now it is a regular. Home made cranberry sauce is a must, alongside the turkey and gravy. Can't say I miss the old stuff from my grandmother's day, the jello salad, pickles, pickled beets, green and black olives, creamed peas and onions.......

Old 11-19-2023, 01:34 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,386,421 times
I like Sweet potatoes - even canned - but skip the marshmallow and not overly sweet.

Canned cranberries are very good - but fresh are the best.

Do not care for green bean casserole and really not needed. Prefer carrots if you need a vegetable.

Never saw the need for sides like Mac & Cheese that are more like replacements for stuffing or potatoes than a compliment to them.

Old 11-19-2023, 05:34 AM

10,238 posts, read 6,331,454 times
My daughter hates sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, and has since childhood. I buy pumpkins, cook them, and make the pie from scratch. Maybe she doesn't like "orange" food? lol

Old 11-19-2023, 05:39 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
There's always "that" dish isn't there?!
“That dish” at our house was creamed onions. It was traditional to have it, but not very popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink