Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 06:28 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,933,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter hates sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, and has since childhood. I buy pumpkins, cook them, and make the pie from scratch. Maybe she doesn't like "orange" food? lol
It's probably a consistency thing. Those are both sort of soft, some people do not like that mouth feel. Same with green bean casserole in its traditional form with cream of mushroom soup it gets fairly soft and soupy.

I like pumpkin pie if the filling to crust ratio is right. Less filling is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 07:28 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,327,983 times
I make a sweet potato casserole that's been passed down for about 25 years now. I enjoy green bean & corn casserole as it's a once a year thing. I also like a good cranberry relish.

Old 11-19-2023, 07:33 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
I like sweet potato casserole too. It's a perfect blend of soft and crunchy, with the topping being pecans mixed with butter, flour and brown sugar. I would probably use Agave nectar now, maybe mixed with some chia seeds.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:00 AM

24,008 posts, read 15,100,850 times
The family thinks green bean casserole is holiday fare. But we just barely cook fresh green beans then sprinkle the onions over them. No cream soup.

Try cranberry salsa. Fresh cranberries, green onions and a fresh seeded jalapeño and a few more things. It's good with chips later.

AFA sweet potatoes with marshmallows. Never. We do make sweet potato pie. And pecan pie with golden syrup instead of Karo.

We do have to make granny's cornbread dressing.

All Y'all have a great holiday week.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:21 AM

12,855 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
News to me! I always have cranberry sauce on the side, and put gravy over the turkey on my plate.

Doesn't mean that I am right and you are wrong, of course. Again, different people -- different customs, different tastes.
Absolutely. To me the cranberry is kind of like a palate cleanser before I dive into another round of turkey, gravy, and carbs. On the other hand, I have a relative who ladles the cranberry sauce over everything like it was gravy. Even makes sandwiches with it. When he comes over for Thanksgiving, I have to make a double batch just for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
When I started making green bean casserole with fresh green beans and cutting back a bit on the cream of mushroom, I liked it a whole lot better - so I do eat and make that.

I also now make my own cranberry sauce. It's so easy and delicious. Hubs doesn't eat it though, so this year I'm not making any.

And finally, no candied yams here.

I always make my father's stuffing recipe but now like it as 'stuffin' muffins.' They get a nice crisp on the top and with gravy are really good.
When I can get them, I like to use fresh green beans as well, and about half the cream of mushroom. I did make my own mushroom cream sauce from scratch a couple of time and it was so much better than canned, but with everything else going on, it kind of became one step too many in the kitchen.

I also make my own cranberry sauce. My son was the connoisseur of that and helped me each year, but now he's married and living on his own.

We must think a lot alike because I also do the stuffin' muffins' as you said.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
They are very salty - I like them in moderation for the one or two times a year I use them but only the brand name. My grocery brand is just gross. I tried doing the fried shallots and they were amazing but so much work!
I've got to try the fried shallots idea. Sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It wouldn’t be thanksgiving without “the dreaded green bean casseroleâ€. I was about to eliminate it until my son married a girl from Puerto Rico who had never had it. She loved it, so it gets to stay. It’s just hubby and I this year, so we will skip it.

I’m fine with candied sweet potatoes, but never marshmallows. Got no problem with canned cranberry sauce either.

Things I would never make for Thanksgiving, although I don’t hate them in general are Hashbrown casserole, macaroni and cheese, or pasta dishes……anything the pilgrims couldn’t have had, I don’t want.
MY thought is it's the "candied" part that turns folks off. Sweet potatoes are already plenty sweet and then folks add a ton of brown sugar. I leave the sugar out and just add butter and some nutmeg, sometimes a touch of ginger and cinnamon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
One thing I learned the hard way is that it needs the original cream of mushroom soup. Don’t buy low fat, or low salt or gluten free or whatever kind of varieties they sell now.
The Campbells used to make soups specifically for recipes that had a different consistency and seasoning blend than the regular soups. Don't see those anymore. Also as someone has mentioned, the canned cream of soups are different than they used to be. They lack the depth of flavor they used to have.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:35 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,793,878 times
I am not a fan of cranberry sauce or Yams. I like green beans but would prefer they be steamed.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I never liked sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce or pumpkin pie because of the taste & texture of the dishes involved. When I was involved in making the meal, I made these changes:

Sweet potatoes: no canned, slimy sweet potatoes, marshmallows, gag. Bake whole sweet potatoes, mash with butter, serve.

Cranberry sauce: no canned slime. Buy fresh, raw cranberries, cook per package directions, using less sugar than recommended

Pumpkin pie. just no. Apple crisp with fresh, not canned apples.

Green bean casserole was never part of the equation, fresh baby green peas are better.

Turkey is cooked outdoors in Weber kettle, yielding smoky drippings to enhance homemade giblet gravy.

A crudite dish is a necessity, carrot & celery sticks, radish roses, black olives, sweet gherkins, all on cut glass serving dishes. That's just nostalgia for me.

I think a lot of these "traditional" sides got started in the 1950's by the canned food companies promoting their unhealthy "convenience foods" that many people grew up with, that we know now are so bad for you.

In reality, I don't do any of this anymore.
Our oven went out on Christmas day one time. No panic. Turkey went to the Weber and everything else went to the Dutch ovens. Can't beat the taste of smoked turkey.

It's interesting on the "traditional" side. I think much depends on where you come from. Mom was from up north; dad picked cotton down south (met during the war). So our big meals kind of mixed both traditions. Though the only "canned" goods mom used were the ones "canned" in glass jars we put up over the summer. No canned sweet potatos or cream of mushroom in her kitchen. I was probably the first one in the family to start using store bought prepared products when I moved out. Funny part is, now that I'm retired and have the time, I'm doing a lot more from scratch like mom did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Ha! I agree. I love having Thanksgiving dinner with white meat eaters. All the more dark meat for me! It's interesting how the preferences are really strong on both sides. There were one or two times when I had wonderful, juicy, tender white meat. The rest of the times, no.
We'd get along great. I love the white meat and you can have the dark. Nothing wasted.

Old 11-19-2023, 10:03 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Absolutely. To me the cranberry is kind of like a palate cleanser before I dive into another round of turkey, gravy, and carbs. On the other hand, I have a relative who ladles the cranberry sauce over everything like it was gravy. Even makes sandwiches with it. When he comes over for Thanksgiving, I have to make a double batch just for him.
That reminds me, when I lived in San Francisco and worked for years in the Financial District, there was a popular sandwich: The Turkey-Cranberry. Yum. I must make that one soon! Thanks for the fond reminder.

Old 11-19-2023, 10:33 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That reminds me, when I lived in San Francisco and worked for years in the Financial District, there was a popular sandwich: The Turkey-Cranberry. Yum. I must make that one soon! Thanks for the fond reminder.
My turkey sandwiches always have turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce, with Mayo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink