Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 09:41 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yum. Good idea. I have an idea that the green bean casserole can be made entirely from scratch. We can make fried onions in the air fryer and cut back on the Cream of Mushroom (maybe use a different brand). I use

I must be a doofus! I loved that casserole when I was a kid, and still love it as an adult. It has to turn out right, though. One year I made it and for some reason it didn't turn out as good. Senior moment: what's that white potato like thingy that people use in it? I think it's Chinese. Duh. That comes out of a can, but everything else can be scratch I think.
Are you referring to water chestnuts? I love them in my spinach casserole but have never added them to a green bean one - sounds interesting.

I have made scratch green bean casserole for a few years now. My husband likes it (I can do without) so I decided to try and make it palatable for me. I make a homemade cream of mushroom soup, use it sparingly, and I have fried shallots for the topping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2023, 09:45 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Right? Duh. I couldn't think of it. Again, that's probably the only time I use water chestnuts, but actually they are good in other things too.

I'm assuming your homemade casserole turned out well (to your liking)?

Old 11-18-2023, 10:25 AM

323 posts, read 135,310 times
While I like green bean casserole, I'll pass on the candied yams and cranberry sauce.

That said, their existence does not bother me in the slightest. I'll simply have more of something else - mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, etc.

Old 11-18-2023, 11:28 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I really don't like the candied yams, but I am not a fan of sweet items in the main dish. I like yams & sweet potatoes, but no added sugar or toppings, Just s & p with butter. The rest are OK.

Old 11-18-2023, 11:29 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
All of my lie, I thought I hated sweet potatoes, because of that sugar laden, marshmallow topped, goopy dish that tasted of gooey sugar mixed with dirt. My mother made it with canned yams. But surprise, once I discovered a freshly baked yam with just butter, I love them.

There are a few things I don't eat but not because I hate them, more like I prefer something else and one must have a little discrimination about what goes on the plate when there is so much to choose from.

Cream of Mushroom soup used to taste really good with a very distinctive and attractive flavor. The recipe has been changed so it isn't even the same product any more, and that put an end to any of the once lovely dishes that used to be made with cream of mushroom soup. So that puts and end to green bean casserole, as far as I am concerned

Old 11-18-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Cream of Mushroom soup used to taste really good with a very distinctive and attractive flavor. The recipe has been changed so it isn't even the same product any more, and that put an end to any of the once lovely dishes that used to be made with cream of mushroom soup. So that puts an end to green bean casserole, as far as I am concerned.
I think that's why my recipe didn't turn out well the last time I made it. Something was off. I was very disappointed.

Does anyone remember the fake apple pie that we used to be able to make with Ritz Crackers?!

Old 11-18-2023, 12:25 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times
I love this easy recipe for cranberry sauce, https://whatsinthepan.com/grand-marn...anberry-sauce/ It's delicious, I could eat it everyday!

Old 11-18-2023, 01:10 PM

That looks really good, and easy to make. I'd use Blue Agave Amber Syrup, but I'll bet the kicker is the Grand Marnier.

Old 11-18-2023, 01:25 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Right? Duh. I couldn't think of it. Again, that's probably the only time I use water chestnuts, but actually they are good in other things too.

I'm assuming your homemade casserole turned out well (to your liking)?
Yes but I don't drown the green beans either. I use fresh green beans, steam them, and then pour some of the soup over the top and add whatever topping (like fried onions - and yes I've used them from the can ).

Old 11-18-2023, 01:26 PM

Yes, the canned ones aren't so bad especially for once a year. It does give me a jolt though, because I don't usually eat things like that. Or maybe they changed that recipe too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink