Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 01:28 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,919,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yes, the canned ones aren't so bad especially for once a year. It does give me a jolt though, because I don't usually eat things like that. Or maybe they changed that recipe too.
They are very salty - I like them in moderation for the one or two times a year I use them but only the brand name. My grocery brand is just gross. I tried doing the fried shallots and they were amazing but so much work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2023, 01:29 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
It wouldn’t be thanksgiving without “the dreaded green bean casserole”. I was about to eliminate it until my son married a girl from Puerto Rico who had never had it. She loved it, so it gets to stay. It’s just hubby and I this year, so we will skip it.

I’m fine with candied sweet potatoes, but never marshmallows. Got no problem with canned cranberry sauce either.

Things I would never make for Thanksgiving, although I don’t hate them in general are Hashbrown casserole, macaroni and cheese, or pasta dishes……anything the pilgrims couldn’t have had, I don’t want.

Old 11-18-2023, 01:37 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,919,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It wouldn’t be thanksgiving without “the dreaded green bean casserole”. I was about to eliminate it until my son married a girl from Puerto Rico who had never had it. She loved it, so it gets to stay. It’s just hubby and I this year, so we will skip it.

I’m fine with candied sweet potatoes, but never marshmallows. Got no problem with canned cranberry sauce either.

Things I would never make for Thanksgiving, although I don’t hate them in general are Hashbrown casserole, macaroni and cheese, or pasta dishes……anything the pilgrims couldn’t have had, I don’t want.
I once asked my DIL to bring a side dish thinking she might want to bring something traditional from her family and she brought mac and cheese made with that processed cheese loaf. Needless to say I don't ask her to contribute anymore.

Old 11-18-2023, 01:47 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
All of my lie, I thought I hated sweet potatoes, because of that sugar laden, marshmallow topped, goopy dish that tasted of gooey sugar mixed with dirt. My mother made it with canned yams. But surprise, once I discovered a freshly baked yam with just butter, I love them.

There are a few things I don't eat but not because I hate them, more like I prefer something else and one must have a little discrimination about what goes on the plate when there is so much to choose from.

Cream of Mushroom soup used to taste really good with a very distinctive and attractive flavor. The recipe has been changed so it isn't even the same product any more, and that put an end to any of the once lovely dishes that used to be made with cream of mushroom soup. So that puts and end to green bean casserole, as far as I am concerned
One thing I learned the hard way is that it needs the original cream of mushroom soup. Don’t buy low fat, or low salt or gluten free or whatever kind of varieties they sell now.

Old 11-18-2023, 01:50 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
- Turkey. i I could do without then and could do without now.
- Candied yams. We had these growing up and I hated them. It became a joke to see if my mother was going to catch the marshmallows on fire, AGAIN, by toasting them in the toaster over. I love sweet potatoes now, usually roasted chunks, but for Thanksgiving I make a lightened version of a casserole in homage to my mother who started making it in her later years because my kids liked it.
- Stuffing, if flavorless and dried out. If fixed properly, it can be heavenly.

I like pretty much everything else.

Old 11-18-2023, 01:56 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
You're reminding me of the year I tried making a couscous stuffing for Thanksgiving. I thought I was going to be so clever. Blech. It turned out terrible. I was so irritated! It was dry and flavorless, like you said. Never again. It was even cooked inside the turkey! I like couscous, but not as a Thanksgiving stuffing. You're right, made properly it can be heavenly.

Old 11-18-2023, 02:54 PM

579 posts, read 431,909 times
Not a fan of candied sweet potatoes, "wet" stuffing/dressing or (strangely enough) any of the pie flavors that my family prefers on Thanksgiving: pumpkin, apple, and usually chocolate silk.

I'm totally fine with the green bean casserole and cranberry sauce.

Old 11-18-2023, 03:09 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Friends that used to host a HUGE gathering (now that the kids are growing up in the family, not anymore) - one person brings a broccoli casserole (similar to the green been casserole) - nobody EVER ate it but every year... there it was.

Old 11-18-2023, 03:21 PM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Not one dish, I don`t love.....just the two of us, so just the basics.....plus the 18lb turkey, we will be eating for months. LOL

Old 11-18-2023, 03:27 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew in Minnesota View Post
While I like green bean casserole, I'll pass on the candied yams and cranberry sauce.

That said, their existence does not bother me in the slightest. I'll simply have more of something else - mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, etc.
I have to agree. I love green bean casserole if it's made right using real green beans instead of canned.

I do have a hard time eating something sweet and full of sugar as part of the main meal especially the candied yams and cranberry sauce or anything ambrosia. That said, homemade cranberry sauce is worlds apart from the canned stuff.

I'll have something sweet afterward for dessert like cherry pie or even a slice homemade cheesecake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink