Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 06:34 AM

19 posts, read 198,987 times

Advertisements

You may know a previous post I made discussing getting engaged somewhere in Panama City Beach. We've got a big summer vacation planned there for June.

Thus, I've been watching the oil spill news very carefully. I am very up-to-date on the current status (landfall in Louisiana), but is there any local talk about possible landfall in Florida? I know that Panama City Beach is about 100 miles east of the beginning of the panhandle, so I'm hoping it will be okay. If it were to fall in PCB would it just be a total shutdown scenario as far as the coastline goes? Ew. Thanks for any help, and I'm thinking and hoping for mother nature every day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 07:29 AM

I've also heard people reporting that they can actually smell the burning oil in PCB and elsewhere. Is there any legitimate report of this?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:56 AM

142 posts, read 455,874 times
Default Not at the moment

At the moment no one here is talking or sending roomers of our beaches being destroyed. Everything possible and known to man will be done to keep these beaches in their natural state emerald green waters and white sugar sand. As you already know the wind has a lot to do with it. But to answer your question no roomers and if its looks like it will impact us hopefully we will be handling it with BP's money.
The beaches here are the most beautiful beaches in Florida I believe that to be the entire US. I can’t even think about these beaches being destroyed. My daughter tells me that a lot of vacationers are calling in and they are telling them what they have been told by our marine people and that is it will not impact Panama City Beach or Destin, Florida.
I am praying it does not and I am also not driving an SUV.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:07 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,341,982 times
It's not unlikely that it will make it to the Panhandle. If it gets caught in some current in the ocean, it will also likely affect the Keys.

Also, considering it's still free flowing, thousands more gallons will be leaked. I would probably look at canceling while I still had time. The spill will affect the waters for a very long time even after they get the well capped. You could look at the Outer Banks. They're similar to the Panhandle and are not near the spill.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:29 AM

So one "should be okay" and one "change your plans." Who will the tie-breaker be? I have to say that we have our hearts set on PCB or the Gulf Coast. I am from SC and we enjoy beaches like Myrtle Beach, Hunting Island, and Tybee all the time. We are looking for something different in PCB!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:55 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,341,982 times
I'll be the tie breaker... I wouldn't go.

Oh, wait, I already reply. Oops. Let me go dig out my alter ego LOL!

There are other places you could try in Florida on the Atlantic side. Or maybe head up to Cape Cod. That's much different. I think you'll find PCB to be similar to SC and NC and GA beaches.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I hope the oil doesn't ruin your vacation

Old 04-30-2010, 09:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,421,085 times
If they dont turn off that oil soon it wont be a matter of if the oil will reach Floridas beaches but When.. Tough job to cap a rogue well head that's 5000 ft down..

Old 04-30-2010, 11:06 AM

Man. Watching the news and following some websites and it looks like I'm a heartbeat from having to cancel the Florida trip and go elsewhere. By Monday it could hit east of Pensacola, which is too close to PCB for my comfort.

The trip isn't until June 15 or so, but if there is crude oil washing up on the beaches of PCB on May 3rd, I don't think I want to be swimming in it a little over a month later. Don't know how long it takes to clean up a natural disaster like this, but seems like it take longer than that!

Anyone know any "sugar sand" "emerald water" beaches that won't be covered in oil this summer?

Old 04-30-2010, 11:47 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,140,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngageGuy1 View Post
Man. Watching the news and following some websites and it looks like I'm a heartbeat from having to cancel the Florida trip and go elsewhere. By Monday it could hit east of Pensacola, which is too close to PCB for my comfort.

The trip isn't until June 15 or so, but if there is crude oil washing up on the beaches of PCB on May 3rd, I don't think I want to be swimming in it a little over a month later. Don't know how long it takes to clean up a natural disaster like this, but seems like it take longer than that!

Anyone know any "sugar sand" "emerald water" beaches that won't be covered in oil this summer?

Bahamas? Miami Beach since its on the Atlantic side. I am really not sure what to do if the oil does end up hitting the west coast of Florida. Regardless whether it hurts or not, the beaches are going to suck this summer. There will be oil in the water, regardless and I really don;t feel like swimming in extra oil. This sucks.

I am having to reevaluate our decision to move to Tampa. On one hand I am thinking, well you know there's a lot more to Florida and Tampa than the beaches. On th other hand, if I am not going to be going to the beaches why not live in a place that isn;t going to get hit by hurricanes. So confused right now. I am sure we'll end up going unless the beaches get completely coated with oil. It's the Exxon Valdez all over again!!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:33 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,421,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
It's the Exxon Valdez all over again!!
Not yet, the Exxon Valez lost more than a million gallons of oil, at the moment this spill is dumping 5000 gallons of oil per day.
I wouldnt cancel my trip to Florida at this point but i might start thinking of a backup location just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida