Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 04:02 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisianamomof2girls View Post
We go to PCB every summer. We stay @ Pinnacle Port....We have stayed in other condo's farther down but for the past 3 yrs we have stayed @ Pinnacle Port its a great place for a family with a private beach and all gated entrance. We were really looking forward to going so i hope this doesnt mess our vacation up..we cant go untill July we have lots of time to cancel our reservations if needed. My brother seems to think it will be just fine for us to go by then i hope he is right. I am really starting to have my doubts though. My husband is in the military and his unit was activated yesterday something i wasnt even expecting through this. This has been such a tragic accident!!
July? Not a chance it will all be cleaned by then. It's still spewing oil with no signs of stopping, or humans stopping it. Once it stops spewing oil, then it could be better determined how long it will take to clean most of it. It will never all be cleaned.

They'll still be cleaning next year. It took Exxon Valdez four summers (April through September) to clean up. Taking in to consideration the winters and you're looking at around 2 years for the Gulf since they could most likely work year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,272 times
It could also be that the Destin and east will not be hit at all. Winds tend to push thing towards the west in this area. Also, winds may change where it pushes it south towards the keys. I have a condo that people have 3 weeks to cancel, but in this case, if the oil or smell from the oil hits our area, people would be able to cancel at a moments notice with full refund.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:24 AM

142 posts, read 455,460 times
This does not look good today. The vacation rentals are already taking action. They are laying people off. This spill is just out of control. I am in Destin, Florida now and it looks like I am going to have to watch this distroy these beaches.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:25 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,154,470 times
I can't think of a worse oil spill ever impacting so many States, industries, wildlife, people and livelihoods. Hope BP can write a large enough check to cover all of it.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:52 AM

The spill has covered more than 3,500 square miles.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 AM

Animation: Gulf of Mexico oil spill growth and movement | NOLA.com I found this link.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:22 PM

37 posts, read 84,121 times
Default I too have a PCB trip planned for June 2010

For myself,having never been to the State of Fla AT ALL.I was very,very excited about planning a beach trip to PCB.Al I could think about was those BEAUTIFUL BEACHES! Now I am so down in the dumps thinking about that oil spill. ANd while some are saying it shouldn't affect Panama City beaches,what about June? I would really appreciate any help with keeping track of whats going on here.Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngageGuy1 View Post
You may know a previous post I made discussing getting engaged somewhere in Panama City Beach. We've got a big summer vacation planned there for June.

Thus, I've been watching the oil spill news very carefully. I am very up-to-date on the current status (landfall in Louisiana), but is there any local talk about possible landfall in Florida? I know that Panama City Beach is about 100 miles east of the beginning of the panhandle, so I'm hoping it will be okay. If it were to fall in PCB would it just be a total shutdown scenario as far as the coastline goes? Ew. Thanks for any help, and I'm thinking and hoping for mother nature every day!

Old 05-02-2010, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,130 times
My brother lives in Pensacola Fl and the water is black already makes me want to cancel my vacation down there next month and go to Daytona or somewhere on the East Coast

Old 05-02-2010, 06:25 PM

19 posts, read 198,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hes2371rn View Post
My brother lives in Pensacola Fl and the water is black already makes me want to cancel my vacation down there next month and go to Daytona or somewhere on the East Coast
Bear in mind, as we've been discussing a lot, that a nightmare/worse-case-scenario would be oil in Gulf Stream currents which could put oil on the east coast very fast. It's no guarantee, but I guess right now if you don't want to flat rule Florida out entirely, moving east is the way to go (that's what we did).

Old 05-02-2010, 08:58 PM

This is something very interesting. Lets pray this is not a complete repeat. Vacations are important but the locals here have everything else to worry about. Obama had better make BP pay this entire bill.

20 Years After Exxon Valdez Oil Spill, Alaskan Coastline Remains Contaminated, Residents Still Struggle for Justice.

20 Years After Exxon Valdez Oil Spill, Alaskan Coastline Remains Contaminated, Residents Still Struggle for Justice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida