Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:11 PM

142 posts, read 455,492 times

Advertisements

BP Checkered past

Spewing 5,000 Barrels of Oil a Day, BP Spill Hits Louisiana Coastline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 08:13 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
The spill may very well affect ALL of Florida!!!

Quote:
Florida Governor Charlie Crist has declared a state of emergency in the Florida panhandle as experts warn of impending likelyhood that the Oil spill will circle Florida and have a nasty impact the Southern Florida ecosystem. According to the NY Times, as of 4:30 EST “Coast Guard officials said Monday afternoon that the oil spill near Louisiana was now covering more than 1,800 square miles of the Gulf of Mexico, and they have been unable to engage a mechanism that could shut off the well thousands of feet below the ocean’s surface.”
Quote:
Based on based on NOAA’s ocean current forecast and wind direction University of Florida professor and oceanographic expert says he believes the East Coast of Florida might see the worst of the impact of the oil spill and it is highly likely that the Oil Slick will get caught in the Gulf Stream and move its way up the US East Coast..
Oil Spill Likely To Hit Gulf Stream And US East Coast | Alexander Higgins Blog (http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/2010/04/30/oil-spill-hit-gulf-stream-east-coast/ - broken link)

Old 05-03-2010, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 17,578 times
We are planning to go to PCB in The second week in Sept. Should we cancel and look somewhere else? This whole oils spill thing is so sad!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:44 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Don't cancel yet. You've probably got plenty of time before your lodging cancellation deadline to see how the whole things is going to play out.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Don't cancel yet. You've probably got plenty of time before your lodging cancellation deadline to see how the whole things is going to play out.
OK. Thanks!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:17 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,955 times
Not only should BP pay for the entire clean up, but the company should pay for lost revenue of all impacted businesses in LA, FL, etc.

This looks like it's shaping up to have a very nasty impact on business and tourism dollars in FL just when the state is desperate for the revenues. Many local businesses will be forced to close and probably lose it all. Employees will be laid off.

This is wrong on so many levels. If it circles FL, it will be up there with the Exxon disaster I'm afraid. That could impact FL tourism for years!

BP needs to be held accountable and we need to think about the real risks that could come with off-shore drilling. My heart breaks for all of the hard working folks who have to suffer loss of their jobs and businesses.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 AM

19 posts, read 198,943 times
I thought this was interesting:

"This is your classic fluid situation, no pun intended. There are conflicting numbers, conflicting measurements, conflicting strategies, with lots happening at once and many different people offering their thoughts on what's really happening. I'd be cautious, for example, about believing the report that oil will be carried by the Gulf Stream around the tip of Florida and onto the Atlantic Coast. This ran all over the place Sunday thanks to the Associated Press. The Gulf Stream angle got a bit hyped in the headlines ("Nightmare scenario feared if massive oil spill enters the Gulf Stream" shrieked the Kansas City Star) -- and it was based on a single source, a professor in remote sensing at UF who has no direct knowledge of what's happening in the water as far as I could tell. Tell me if you know differently (or "different," as we say in Hogtown). "

Achenblog - Gulf oil spill to reach Atlantic seaboard?

Old 05-03-2010, 10:50 AM

19 posts, read 198,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteck24 View Post
We are planning to go to PCB in The second week in Sept. Should we cancel and look somewhere else? This whole oils spill thing is so sad!
We cancelled on PCB, but only because our vacation was in mid-June. I would probably wait as well, if it were as far off as September. Definitely keep watching, though, even after the well is (hopefully) plugged in the next few months. As some have said, a big spill could take years to clean up, but hopefully PCB will only get a small hit!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngageGuy1 View Post
We cancelled on PCB, but only because our vacation was in mid-June. I would probably wait as well, if it were as far off as September. Definitely keep watching, though, even after the well is (hopefully) plugged in the next few months. As some have said, a big spill could take years to clean up, but hopefully PCB will only get a small hit!
Yeah, I think we're going to wait and see how it plays out in the next few weeks/month. Hopefully It won't do too much damage!

Old 05-03-2010, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,778 times
Not 5,000 gallons...5,000 barrels a day...that's 200,000 gallons. 11 million gallons were spilled by the Exxon Valdez. This spill will excede that in a couple days. We had plans for PCB in May, but I'm guessing she'll be covered in oil. Cancel while you still can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida