Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 PM

240 posts, read 385,720 times

Advertisements

And? We'll just burn it at a very low temp so it'll smoke like the dickens and settle to the ground. Crude oil ignites at 370 degrees and they may burn in the oper ocean by igniting with a flare but they don't have to follow EPA rules out there.

Last edited by Profiler; 06-30-2010 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 01:23 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Story from the local ABC station:

WEAR ABC 3 :: Top Stories

Old 07-03-2010, 08:44 PM

142 posts, read 455,433 times
Well it is July 3rd, 2010 and here in Destin, Florida people are checking in and some are already partying. I believe this is the last wave for a while. Last week I watched BP from my patio setup shop large tents, trailers etc. they basically have taken over Henderson State Park.

Last week we had tar balls washing up on the beaches all the way to Seaside, Florida. I decided to take a drive down the coast and believe it or not they were swimming in it, playing in it, carry it back to their cars and back to their condo’s. The tar balls and the threat of swimming in toxic water didn’t seem to upset anyone on the beach. With everything I know about this oil spill and than seeing all those people and children on the beach. I had to stop for a minute and think for a second WELL MAYBE ITS NOT THAT BAD. A Second later I snapped out of it and thought what the He$$ is wrong with these people. Why would they put their families at risk a risk they pay to do a risk they knowingly choose to do. I understand vacations but this is crazy.

I have a vested interest in people continuing to come to Destin and spend their money. Three people in my household make money here in Destin. But for us we want out, we don’t want to file claims with BP every month; we don’t want to watch the business screw over their employee’s and condo owners, we don’t want any part of this entire mess. I did not move my family here to live next to anything other than a beautiful emerald green ocean with white sugar sand and live sea life. It is so sad that this is what it has all come down too. Make money no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more thing and a very important one.

“If a rental company has kept one dime from a vacationer then that vacationer needs to file a claim this will help to keep that company from taking the vacationers, employee’s and the owner’s money. All they have to do is tell the owner that the vacationer that booked there unit cancelled for some other reason not related to the oil spill and then they tell BP it was cancelled because of the oil spill. No one person can track this! Please people if you cancel due to the oil spill then say so if the company keeps your money then file a claim. Telling the company that you are cancelling for some other reason so they don’t keep your money is screwing the little people and the owners of these condo’s you are vacationing in.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:13 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Costner's Skimmer Heads to the Gulf
Kevin Costner His Oil Spill Cleanup Machine To Gulf | Entertainment/Music | Peacefmonline.com (http://foreign.peacefmonline.com/entertainment/201007/57472.php - broken link)

The vessel, known as Ella G, had once been an offshore supply barge and has now been refitted to skim and separate the oil that is currently spilling from BP's blown-out well. The machine is said to place the the scooped-up oil in storage tanks and return the cleaned water to the Gulf.

It offers several advantages that previous skimmers were unable to do, such as stay at sea indefinitely and skim in areas up to 10 feet.Costner has invested 15 years and about $24 million in developing the oil separator.
~~~
Finally. Just get this show on the road.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:25 AM

269 posts, read 667,085 times
How is it now? Do you believe things will be back to normal soon? Thanks.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:19 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
How is it now? Do you believe things will be back to normal soon? Thanks.
Back to normal? Yep. Never really left normal, except for parts of the Panhandle. We never saw any oil anywhere else, and the only effects were a result of the media talking about possibilities that never materialized, causing fewer tourists to arrive.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM

21 posts, read 169,038 times
Today is 7/18/2012. the oil spill happened on april 20th of 2010. And we still get some oil washing up on the shore. Yeah, im sure BP cleaned a bit of the oil, but if you seriously think that they were able to clean all the oil up, then you might have been swimming in it and its messed your brain up. One of the good things is that even though the oil spill devastated the area, Panama City real estate prices haven't been affected as much by the oil spill as they have been by the recession. The beaches are basically clean, and the local health departments check the beaches both sand and water for contaminants weekly, in multiple places. the results are averaged for each location, and then printed in the local newspaper every week. Locally, the beaches have been fairly clean, with low numbers of bacteria (both oil and other (such as e. coli, and fecal matter). Its safe to go in the gulf and its safe to play in the sand.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:40 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabum View Post
Today is 7/18/2012. the oil spill happened on april 20th of 2010. And we still get some oil washing up on the shore. Yeah, im sure BP cleaned a bit of the oil, but if you seriously think that they were able to clean all the oil up, then you might have been swimming in it and its messed your brain up. One of the good things is that even though the oil spill devastated the area, Panama City real estate prices haven't been affected as much by the oil spill as they have been by the recession. The beaches are basically clean, and the local health departments check the beaches both sand and water for contaminants weekly, in multiple places. the results are averaged for each location, and then printed in the local newspaper every week. Locally, the beaches have been fairly clean, with low numbers of bacteria (both oil and other (such as e. coli, and fecal matter). Its safe to go in the gulf and its safe to play in the sand.
I had been wondering how things were going with the oil, the media seems to have gone quiet!

Old 07-19-2012, 07:52 AM

21 posts, read 169,038 times
I have this sneaky feeling that BP might be paying the media off as well to keep it quiet. They have to to keep the entire gulf coast from going under. We rely mainly on tourism and the Gulf for money, and BP really screwed up the local economy (not that the recession didnt do a number) but I think that our area would have fared MUCH better if the BP oil spill hadnt happened to our area. Many people lost everything because of it, and they probably would have been just fine even though the recession really messed everything up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida