Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:57 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Not yet, the Exxon Valez lost more than a million gallons of oil, at the moment this spill is dumping 5000 gallons of oil per day.
I wouldnt cancel my trip to Florida at this point but i might start thinking of a backup location just in case.
The Exxon Valdez lost 11 million gallons and we're currently loosing 200,000 gallons a day. Keep in mind it's been spewing for days now. I don't have the number on hand on how much has been lost so far.

Also keep in mind this will continue to spew. There was a finite amount of oil in the Valdez, here, in the short term, it's very infinite.

Engage, in all seriousness, I would cancel now. They still find oil from the Valdez disaster and that was years and years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 03:15 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Not yet, the Exxon Valez lost more than a million gallons of oil, at the moment this spill is dumping 5000 gallons of oil per day.
I wouldnt cancel my trip to Florida at this point but i might start thinking of a backup location just in case.
It's 5000 barrels - 200,000 gallons per day. And I just read that it should hit Florida Panhandle by Monday. I would cancel.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:48 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It's 5000 barrels - 200,000 gallons per day. And I just read that it should hit Florida Panhandle by Monday. I would cancel.
They are saying it might hit Pensacola by Monday. Then, the winds change, and come out of the south east, instead of the south west.

That, according to the news, will blow the oil back out into the gulf. Then another weather event, a low pressure system coming across the gulf, will blow part of the slick into lake pontchartrain.

Hopefully it won't get past Pensacola, and Destin, South Walton, and Panama city will be spared.

Still, they say there will be a waxy film on top of the water, almost all summer.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 11,372 times
Coconut1, our beaches in Santa Rosa Beach where I live including PCB and Destin which are to the East and West of me respectively are incomparable to the beaches in NC,SC,or Georgia. A few more facts straightened out; Engaged Guy, we can smell no oil being burned, thats crazy. And unfortunately, yes we expect oil in many forms, slicks, tar balls, etc. by Monday,Tuesday at the latest here. I reside in Walton County, a very special place along Scenic Highway 3oA, we are hearbroken and scared. Not for a loss of tourism but a loss of our precious widelife, gulf, natural springs, bays etc. To think that the dolphin and turtles will suffer first is devistating. I was on the beach Thursday and there were new turtle nest that are common here this time of year. Its heartbreaking. Another special place, Shell Island which is actually in PCB the dolphin swim along with you and your boat and will come out of the water almost wanting to be touched. Please visit [mod]no links to competing sites[/mod] Thanks Great luck on your engagement

Last edited by fauve; 05-04-2010 at 03:58 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 09:45 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary33 View Post
Coconut1, our beaches in Santa Rosa Beach where I live including PCB and Destin which are to the East and West of me respectively are incomparable to the beaches in NC,SC,or Georgia. A few more facts straightened out; Engaged Guy, we can smell no oil being burned, thats crazy. And unfortunately, yes we expect oil in many forms, slicks, tar balls, etc. by Monday,Tuesday at the latest here. I reside in Walton County, a very special place along Scenic Highway 3oA, we are hearbroken and scared. Not for a loss of tourism but a loss of our precious widelife, gulf, natural springs, bays etc. To think that the dolphin and turtles will suffer first is devistating. I was on the beach Thursday and there were new turtle nest that are common here this time of year. Its heartbreaking. Another special place, Shell Island which is actually in PCB the dolphin swim along with you and your boat and will come out of the water almost wanting to be touched. Please visitModerator cut: snip Thanks Great luck on your engagement
In terms of water and sand, you're right, Mary. I was thinking more of the towns themselves.

I hurt just like you when it comes to the wildlife. They didn't sign up for this. This should not be. It's truly sickening and devastating. I hope it does spare you all, but I honestly don't believe it will

If you or anyone else hasn't joined groups in favor of preventing off shore drilling, please do. It's vitally important we all rise together and let our representatives know this is NOT what we want. We demand clean air, clean water and a healthy environment. Please. If we don't do it, nobody else will.

Last edited by fauve; 05-04-2010 at 04:01 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 09:50 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
"Spill baby spill!"

Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,679 times
I am in the same boat my wedding is the end of june in panama city beach and I am not sure if I should canel it or wait it out and see what happens. If I canel it now that would mean alot of deposits that has already been made, ect ect. or I should shallow the lost and move the wedding before its to late. I feel sick about it.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 11,372 times
[mod]no links to competing sites per tos[/mod]

Gabbie, there are some beautiful spots maybe along the bay that you could switch to in PCB, maybe even a bayfront restaurant. Also check out Eden Gardens State Park, it is an old bayfront mansion that is a popular wedding spot. It is a bit west of PCB.

Last edited by fauve; 05-04-2010 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 8,861 times
We to have a reservation for Panama City Beach the middle of July so i am wondering will this be cleaned up by then?? Should we cancel now? We actually just sent our deposit on the condo this week. I really dont know what we should do. We go to PCB every summer and i hate to cancel for no reason but also hate to lose the money we have put on it already. Surely it wont take them long to clean up i mean this is a really big tourist spot

Old 05-01-2010, 10:31 AM

19 posts, read 198,932 times
We just cancelled and got our deposit back on the PCB condo. We are going to hit the east coast now, Fort Lauderdale area maybe. We could technically wait longer and still get our deposit back, but the issue now becomes the ability to book another place before everything fills up.

Yes, I have read the post about east-coast impact, but that at least will be awhile off. Hopefully we can squeeze a June vacation in before the possibility of impact on the east coast is imminent. I can't even imagine hearing that the slick has reached The Keys, etc.

It is dissapointing mostly because we spent so long finding just the right condo, and also neither one of us has been to the Gulf. Also going to miss out on St. Andrews

Sorry, PCB area but this is one summer vacationer that BP already lost you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida