Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 12:06 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I live in GA, two hours from FL, so FL doesn’t have much allure.

When I lived in the frozen north, I loved Florida a lot. Anyone who lives in NE Ohio in February is in love with the state of Florida, with visions of clear water and palm trees. Full time, they might not like the killer humidity, the bugs, snakes and alligators.
I find it interesting how people skip right over SE Georgia which isn't much different from the top half of FL yet minus many of the issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 01:31 PM

5,986 posts, read 2,241,315 times
From the feedback I get from young Nurses, Docs, and my kids wrapping up HS, the younger you are the more negative the view seems to be and it comes down to economics mainly. The cost of living is rising or already sky high if in SW FL or Tampa proper, most of the interior of the state does not support enough jobs for younger folks to live there so most have to stay in the more expensive cities. Jobs in Florida do not pay as well as in other states (hard to even recruit nurses to Florida) so if you are early in your career you may need to move out of Florida to get your professional life going. We also forget to factor in other high costs like Car insurance costs which are sky-high in Florida for those under 35. Food is much more expensive in Florida, people don't realize that we pay a premium in Florida due to being a Peninsula so shipping costs are higher to get food products here and it's reflected in the prices. I don't get a lot of political stuff from people already here, it's all economic-related issues. I will say I don't know how people afford my area working retail or lower pay jobs, it's too expensive now (Tampa).

If you moved here in your late 40's, 50's,60's, or are already married and have 2 good incomes regardless of age you will likely NOT share the view above or even understand it because you're well into a career, perhaps sold a house up North first, already retired so income is not a concern, or wrapping up your career so retirement location is more important than career options.

Anyone who has to recruit professionals for Florida businesses can run through a big list of negatives they get regularly. Again most are related to the cost of living, and depressed pay for many professions.

Last edited by Daryl_G; 02-27-2024 at 01:43 PM..

Old 02-28-2024, 08:20 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightTalker2022 View Post
Many people have relocated without "thinking things through", many have chosen Florida. I don't believe it's an Anti-Florida thing, but more of a "Why the F did I move thing". Some are happy, some are not, some are now STUCK with their decision. Although profitable for many, the decision to Re-Re Locate would just be too much to take on. Too many of these people went 'All-In" without doing their homework. Others, are simply happy. I don't think I could ever be a full timer, but that's me and I'm running out of years like everyone else. https://www.nar.realtor/magazine/rea...mic-purchasers

I don’t get the impulse cross country relocation thing, especially if you’re past about age 25. We’re out of here NLT 2028 when the spousal Unit has his 30 years in, and are already visiting possible safe landing spots. We ask question about property taxes and how they’re calculated, insurance rates, research crime hot spots and environmental concerns (no I am not living in Greeley even though homes are 30% cheaper because you’re downwind from a lot of cattle farms), visit a couple of different grocery stores as well as model homes on scouting trips and are actively regularly reading local news sources from our top candidates…..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
From the feedback I get from young Nurses, Docs, and my kids wrapping up HS, the younger you are the more negative the view seems to be and it comes down to economics mainly. The cost of living is rising or already sky high if in SW FL or Tampa proper, most of the interior of the state does not support enough jobs for younger folks to live there so most have to stay in the more expensive cities.
The trend among Spousal Unit’s coworkers is that their kids are living in an RV in the driveway. They can't afford an apartment of their own for what a ‘good job’ pays around here and at least the RV gives everyone a little more privacy. And then they eventually give up on the Panhandle and move to Atlanta with their sweetie because they can actually afford to get the two bedroom apartment there that would give them enough space to start having children of their own.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:19 AM

25,788 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Quote:
From the feedback I get from young Nurses, Docs, and my kids wrapping up HS, the younger you are the more negative the view seems to be and it comes down to economics mainly. The cost of living is rising or already sky high if in SW FL or Tampa proper, most of the interior of the state does not support enough jobs for younger folks to live there so most have to stay in the more expensive cities. Jobs in Florida do not pay as well as in other states (hard to even recruit nurses to Florida) so if you are early in your career you may need to move out of Florida to get your professional life going. We also forget to factor in other high costs like Car insurance costs which are sky-high in Florida for those under 35. Food is much more expensive in Florida, people don't realize that we pay a premium in Florida due to being a Peninsula so shipping costs are higher to get food products here and it's reflected in the prices. I don't get a lot of political stuff from people already here, it's all economic-related issues. I will say I don't know how people afford my area working retail or lower pay jobs, it's too expensive now (Tampa).

If you moved here in your late 40's, 50's,60's, or are already married and have 2 good incomes regardless of age you will likely NOT share the view above or even understand it because you're well into a career, perhaps sold a house up North first, already retired so income is not a concern, or wrapping up your career so retirement location is more important than career options.

Anyone who has to recruit professionals for Florida businesses can run through a big list of negatives they get regularly. Again most are related to the cost of living, and depressed pay for many professions.

^^^All the negativity, so 'splain me why 140,000,000 visitors + 1,000,000 new residents?

Why does Florida rank 8th for business friendliness? How can the negative Nellies be right?:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/11/amer...-rankings.html

FLA income is 25th out of 50, right in the middle, so why al the bad mouthing of incomes here? I'm crushing it here, & have been for yrs.

https://www.zippia.com/advice/per-ca...come-by-state/

The negative Nellies are a tiny minority, & there will always be negative Nellies...even in Heaven, & Utopia I'm guessing.

The vast majority of people in FLA think the plussses, far outweight the minusses...nobody's claiming FLA's perfect...just #1 overall.

How can all these Millions of people, & businesses be wrong, & all the negative Nellies right? Why do so many of the negative Nelies continue to live in, & visit FLA? Are they all trapped here for various reasons?

Last edited by beach43ofus; 02-29-2024 at 06:36 AM..

Old 02-29-2024, 07:58 AM

4,485 posts, read 3,859,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
^^^All the negativity, so 'splain me why 140,000,000 visitors + 1,000,000 new residents?

Why does Florida rank 8th for business friendliness? How can the negative Nellies be right?:

FLA income is 25th out of 50, right in the middle, so why al the bad mouthing of incomes here? I'm crushing it here, & have been for yrs.

The negative Nellies are a tiny minority, & there will always be negative Nellies...even in Heaven, & Utopia I'm guessing.

The vast majority of people in FLA think the plussses, far outweight the minusses...nobody's claiming FLA's perfect...just #1 overall.

How can all these Millions of people, & businesses be wrong, & all the negative Nellies right? Why do so many of the negative Nelies continue to live in, & visit FLA? Are they all trapped here for various reasons?

Well, looks like the Negative Nellies are multiplying! Could it be because cost of living in FLA has spiraled out of control?????

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-hom...ve-out-1874173

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/flori...113047260.html

Old 02-29-2024, 08:03 AM

78,454 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
That's been the issue with California for a lot of professions too.

You can get the same pay for some jobs in a small town in rural Iowa as Miami or LA....supply and demand for whom wants to live in these locations.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:01 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Okay, the web site is horrible and designed to make you accidentally click on ads, but if you can escape the electronic minefield, they have a nice chart on the leavers-

https://floridainsider.com/business/...r-did-they-go/

The top four states for the half million people leaving Florida are: 1. Georgia 2. Texas 3. North Carolina and 4 California

New York is #7. I’m kind of surprised to see Michigan in the top ten. I grew up there and know it actually has a lot of summertime charm but wouldn’t want to go back to the 27 minutes of sunlight in all of January thing even though weather isn’t my top priority.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:35 PM

5,986 posts, read 2,241,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Wait you asked for the negative reasons or for someone to provide feedback they have heard or received. Now we are all negative Nelies for answering the question?

Why ask if you are just going to insult people that answer?

Old 02-29-2024, 03:03 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,423,368 times
Quote:
Wait you asked for the negative reasons or for someone to provide feedback they have heard or received. Now we are all negative Nelies for answering the question?

Why ask if you are just going to insult people that answer?
The part after "Why ask if" answers the question. That would be their intention.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:41 PM

18,473 posts, read 8,298,361 times
do they consider condos in the same basket as houses??

how many leaving/selling are condos? and not stand alone houses?

one of the main reasons people are cashing out is profit....our neighbors bought their house 3 years ago for ~$1million......they just sold it for $3 1/2 million
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida