Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 04:23 PM

25,747 posts, read 12,832,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This. There are a few regular Florida haters I see on here, which appears to be largely due to politics and cost of living. It’s the same way people hate California, also for politics and cost of living.
Florida ranks 33rd in cost of living...near the middle. If you dont live w/in 45 mins to a beach or along the Gold Coast, & don't shop at Publix or Whole Foods, the costs go way down.

It doesn't take much effort to live in FLA affordably. Most don't need to cut costs, so they don't.

I live in Florida affordably, w/ just a few wise decisions.

If Florida was a crappy place, it would be cheap to live. If people want cheap, move to West Virginia, or Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 05:37 PM

1,152 posts, read 618,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
First off, there are more PEOPLE now than there were 20 years ago. So it stands to reason that more people would be visiting Florida than visited 20 years ago.

Second, Disney World, Epcot, all the other Orlando-area amusement parks, attract more people than say, Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge in Arkansas, for example.

Third, there are a LOT more retirees living in Florida now, than there were living here 20 years ago. That means a LOT more grandkids visiting now, than visited here 20 years ago.

Those are some reasons why there are so many more people *visiting* now than there were 20 years ago.

As for people moving down here, well the "more people, period" still applies. More people = more people moving when they hit retirement age.

It also means more adult children moving down here to be with their retired parents, than there were 20 years ago. Especially now with the costs of long-term health care that isn't covered by Medicare being SO expensive, many families have moved to become their parents' caregivers.

Florida wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is, if it weren't for the people living in it who have SUCH a huge problem with anyone daring to move here.

Maybe Florida should've built a big, beautiful wall at their border. Have Cuba pay for it.
I get all of this but I’m sorry that number of visitors is 1/3 of the entire (published) population. The number is staggering and it’s not family visits driving things up.

The Florida population (published) is 22M.

Last edited by stank1964; 02-09-2024 at 06:04 PM..

Old 02-09-2024, 06:08 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,417,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stank1964 View Post
I get all of this but I’m sorry that number of visitors is 1/3 of the entire (published) population. The number is staggering and it’s not family visits driving things up.

This state runs on tourism. It's WHY we don't have a state income tax - because we have a robust tourism industry and tourism taxes cover a lot of our state's expenses.

That, PLUS families visiting retirees, COMBINED, is why this state has so many visitors.

Old 02-13-2024, 12:08 PM

257 posts, read 117,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stank1964 View Post

FLA is expected to have 140M visitors in 2024, so the ratio is almost 7 visitors to 1.

1M are estimated to be snowbirds who stay 1 month or longer...which I think is way low based upon my 30+ years living in several Florida cities on both coasts.

Old 02-13-2024, 01:39 PM

17,211 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalconsequence View Post
FLA is expected to have 140M visitors in 2024, so the ratio is almost 7 visitors to 1.

1M are estimated to be snowbirds who stay 1 month or longer...which I think is way low based upon my 30+ years living in several Florida cities on both coasts.
There are definitely more than 1M snowbirds in Florida lol

Old 02-13-2024, 01:48 PM

493 posts, read 520,179 times
Weather.

Old 02-13-2024, 03:28 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,417,054 times
Quote:

Jeez there's around 60,000 snowbirds JUST in The Villages, not counting all the surrounding 55+ communities that also have snowbirds.

Old 02-13-2024, 05:04 PM

493 posts, read 520,179 times
Quote:

75-80M of those 140M are going to Orlando. The state should treat it better.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:53 AM

25,747 posts, read 12,832,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
There are definitely more than 1M snowbirds in Florida lol
I agree, this is the source I was referring to:

https://www.rpmmoves.com/blog/when-d...nshine%20State.

There's easily TWICE the estimated amount, but I dont know how to prove it.

In my area of SW FLA, we have very few short-term tourists, mostly Snow Birds who are here for months...I'd estimate 75% of all visitors are here for 3 months, or longer.

If FLA was so bad, why are so many coming here for so long each year? FLA isn't the only place in the World that has nice Winter weather...why not SOCAL? Carribean? Mexico? Why don't more go to AZ?

Old 02-14-2024, 12:03 PM

17,211 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I agree, this is the source I was referring to:

https://www.rpmmoves.com/blog/when-d...nshine%20State.

There's easily TWICE the estimated amount, but I dont know how to prove it.

In my area of SW FLA, we have very few short-term tourists, mostly Snow Birds who are here for months...I'd estimate 75% of all visitors are here for 3 months, or longer.

If FLA was so bad, why are so many coming here for so long each year? FLA isn't the only place in the World that has nice Winter weather...why not SOCAL? Carribean? Mexico? Why don't more go to AZ?
Yep. I'm far from being a snowbird, as I live in Florida (Orlando currently) and am not of that age, but we have a vacation home in Charlotte County that mainly serves as a house for those from up North to use as the "Florida Home." When I go there, it looks like a good half of the neighborhood has out-of-state plates on their cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida