Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 12:06 PM

17,146 posts, read 15,350,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
75-80M of those 140M are going to Orlando. The state should treat it better.
They've been better in recent years... I-4 Ultimate and the new E/W Sunrail line along with extended hours, show at least SOME level of care and attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 05:00 AM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,090 times
There was a Canadian poster a fl snow bird that posted here he hated fl it seem since Ron was elected governor everyone here ask him why if hate you florida so much why you come here he\she never answered the question this poster said he/ she now winters in Mexico don't know if that's true!?

Old 02-18-2024, 05:54 AM

25,701 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Well, almost: Florida #10 in Overall Rankings (US News)

RANKINGS SCORECARD
Crime & Corrections #17
Economy #7
Education #1 (surprised me!)
Fiscal Stability #13
Health Care #27
Infrastructure #14
Natural Environment #17
Opportunity #46

Median Household income...#37 (World Population Review)

Florida GDP rankings...#4 (Wikipedia)

State and Local Tax Burden #11 (Tax Foundation)

And yet, all these medicre rankings, & Florida's still the #1 place people want to visit & move to.

How to 'splain that? FLA's #1-3 for net domestic immigration & tourism the past 3 years.

Which State do you think is better overall? Utopia is not a State. Utah? More moved to FLA in 1 month than to Utah a full year.

I can't wait to hear your answer. Also list that states rank for net domestic migration, and tourism.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 02-18-2024 at 06:15 AM..

Old 02-20-2024, 07:22 PM

4,598 posts, read 6,352,889 times
I don't view it as a competition as some do. All states have + and - aspects. Some folks like the mountains,
some like the beach, some like cities, others not so much, some folks are more comfortable in a liberal area, some like it conservative...it's whatever works for the individual.
My intent was only to show that FL does not excel in almost all categories...it has strengths and weaknesses, just like all states. For instance....Fl is quite low in "opportunities" (however that is defined), but at the top of the list in education. I find FL a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 02-21-2024, 06:02 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,445,439 times
Quote:
I don't view it as a competition as some do. All states have + and - aspects. Some folks like the mountains,
some like the beach, some like cities, others not so much, some folks are more comfortable in a liberal area, some like it conservative...it's whatever works for the individual.
AMEN!

Old 02-21-2024, 06:09 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I live in GA, two hours from FL, so FL doesn’t have much allure.

When I lived in the frozen north, I loved Florida a lot. Anyone who lives in NE Ohio in February is in love with the state of Florida, with visions of clear water and palm trees. Full time, they might not like the killer humidity, the bugs, snakes and alligators.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:22 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I live in GA, two hours from FL, so FL doesn’t have much allure.

When I lived in the frozen north, I loved Florida a lot. Anyone who lives in NE Ohio in February is in love with the state of Florida, with visions of clear water and palm trees. Full time, they might not like the killer humidity, the bugs, snakes and alligators.
I used to live in southeastern North Carolina. That was hot and humid enough for me.

Old 02-21-2024, 02:30 PM

Quote:
My intent was only to show that FL does not excel in almost all categories...it has strengths and weaknesses, just like all states. For instance....Fl is quite low in "opportunities" (however that is defined), but at the top of the list in education. I find FL a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
Millions of people move to Florida to retire, and are not looking for "opportunities".

The only opportunites they are looking for are a:

-tee time at a nice golf course

-nice day for the beach

-good game of Pickleball

-nice card game

-good Early Bird Special

-parking spot at the grocery store

More peole want to visit and move to FLA than any other state, so you are in the minority.

I'm glad everybody doesn't want to move here, we are getting pretty full.

Old 02-21-2024, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Every State is competing against every other State for:

-taxpaying law-abiding residents
-tourist Dollars
-educated & skilled newcomers to provide employers a quality workforce
-employers to hire residents
-better education to attract students to attend its colleges & universities, & the most educated workforce
-commerce from other states, and abroad

& other areas I failed to mention. Life is one big competition. It's the American way.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:00 AM

138 posts, read 114,526 times
Many people have relocated without "thinking things through", many have chosen Florida. I don't believe it's an Anti-Florida thing, but more of a "Why the F did I move thing". Some are happy, some are not, some are now STUCK with their decision. Although profitable for many, the decision to Re-Re Locate would just be too much to take on. Too many of these people went 'All-In" without doing their homework. Others, are simply happy. I don't think I could ever be a full timer, but that's me and I'm running out of years like everyone else. https://www.nar.realtor/magazine/rea...mic-purchasers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida