Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 10:16 AM

4,622 posts, read 7,547,288 times

Advertisements

I can tell you why I moved to FL 40 years ago:

mild, sunny winters -- hated the days upon days of cloudy, gray skies during midwest winters, love having green lawns and flowers all year long

gorgeous beaches -- we in Sarasota & Manatee counties are fortunate to have miles upon miles of beautiful, public access beaches

tax advantages -- no state income tax, homesteading of properties

outdoor activities all year round -- also events all year round but especially during the winter months

My guess is that a lot of the people who come to FL and then complain about it are unhappy with their personal lives, and the process of moving to FL isn't going to provide an instant fix for what bothers them.

I've seen this happen in real estate, people who buy a house in a particular neighborhood that they picked out for whatever reasons, then months or a couple of years later they have nothing but complaints about what they selected and want to move again to "something better." In most cases nothing's changed within the communities, it's just that the people are unhappy with their lives and somehow moving again is supposed to fix that. One couple I know moved 3 times here in FL within 5 years, then went to South Carolina, then went to North Carolina where they moved 2 more times before they decided to stay put. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM

12,052 posts, read 8,436,379 times
Over fifty-some years I've vacationed in Florida many times. To a Minnesotan it's nearly like visiting another country the food, culture and environment are so different.

And like others I've noticed the crowding at the popular spots. I'm seeing that everywhere I travel. The other disappointment is that no matter where in the US I travel the more everything looks the same. Same cheap food chains and motels, less and less quaint road stops and Ma and Pa operations where you can pick up the flavor of the local culture.

The last time we went we did a road trip down the east side of the Mississippi River, across the Redneck Coast, down the west coast to the keys and up the east coast to South Carolina. Other than the cut through the Everglades the entire state was bumper-to-bumper traffic. Quite incredible. Like driving in a city during rush hour.

Needless to say it didn't make for a relaxing road trip and finding suitable lodging was hit and miss.

Key West was a fine place to visit but we missed our window of opportunity by several decades, I'd guess. It was like elbowing your way through the Minnesota State Fair.

Glad I've been able to visit during better times.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:17 AM

4,604 posts, read 6,374,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I agree...sensationalism sells more advertising. But how to 'spain all the negative posters constantely atacking the best State in the USA?

Are they eternally miserabel people? Do they have some hidden agenda or political motivation?

Florida leads the nation, or is near the top in nearly every possible category.....
Well, almost: Florida #10 in Overall Rankings (US News)

RANKINGS SCORECARD
Crime & Corrections #17
Economy #7
Education #1 (surprised me!)
Fiscal Stability #13
Health Care #27
Infrastructure #14
Natural Environment #17
Opportunity #46

Median Household income...#37 (World Population Review)

Florida GDP rankings...#4 (Wikipedia)

State and Local Tax Burden #11 (Tax Foundation)

Old 02-09-2024, 11:23 AM

25,788 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Florida is the best state in the U.S. for many people. It’s no longer an ideal choice for those on a tight budget so I can understand some negative sentiment from that group of people.

For certain others, I suspect they’re just toxic and would dislike anywhere they live.

I don't think many of the negative Nellies even live in Florida. They hide their profiles, so no way to know, but I doubt it.

If they do live here, remaining here and attacking their own state is a twisted form of self hate.

If you count how many disparaging thread topics there are on the Florida forum's home pages, its crazy.

West Virginia, & Mississippi, that most consider undesireable places to live, dont have as many attack threads as the Florida forum.

The Florida forum has sadly become a misleading source for those seeking information about our great state.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:14 PM

9,170 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Quote:
I don't think many of the negative Nellies even live in Florida. They hide their profiles, so no way to know, but I doubt it.

If they do live here, remaining here and attacking their own state is a twisted form of self hate.

If you count how many disparaging thread topics there are on the Florida forum's home pages, its crazy.

West Virginia, & Mississippi, that most consider undesireable places to live, dont have as many attack threads as the Florida forum.

The Florida forum has sadly become a misleading source for those seeking information about our great state.

It's usually the same negative Nellies who post the most jaundiced views of Florida.

As you say, self-loathing may be a source for these posts.

That's especially true if someone has multiple abodes but still primarily lives in a place that has so many deficiencies. One has to wonder.

Why do these people stay here?

Old 02-09-2024, 02:52 PM

17,540 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:

I agree. And one more thing, I have been on this forum for many years now, and some of these negative Nellies actually DO move away but they just can't stop themselves from coming back and spewing their disdain for everything "Florida." Kind of like a jilted lover. Most of the time I have seen them complaining in their new place as well. So these folks won't be happy no matter where they go. As the saying goes, "wherever you go, there you are."

Sadly, as you say, it is really hard to put out any real information to people seeking it because of this.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
It's usually the same negative Nellies who post the most jaundiced views of Florida.

As you say, self-loathing may be a source for these posts.

That's especially true if someone has multiple abodes but still primarily lives in a place that has so many deficiencies. One has to wonder.

Why do these people stay here?
That is a great question. Life is too short to live someplace you dont like.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree. And one more thing, I have been on this forum for many years now, and some of these negative Nellies actually DO move away but they just can't stop themselves from coming back and spewing their disdain for everything "Florida." Kind of like a jilted lover. Most of the time I have seen them complaining in their new place as well. So these folks won't be happy no matter where they go. As the saying goes, "wherever you go, there you are."

Sadly, as you say, it is really hard to put out any real information to people seeking it because of this.
Too funny! Reminds me of the Atlantis Morrissette song "You Oughta Know"

Old 02-09-2024, 03:35 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,423,368 times
Why do they stay? For the same reasons people have stated every single time someone asks that here on this forum, and everywhere else on the internet.

My reason for coming: because hubby said he'd miss me if I didn't come with him.
My reason for staying: because I still love my hubby, AND because I'm retired, on a fixed budget, and can't even afford a 3-season cottage for the summer up north, let alone move out entirely.

There is still nothing about Florida that excites me. The Villages makes it tolerable, but only because it's pretty and the golf cart paths are fun.

Old 02-09-2024, 04:04 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Florida is the best state in the U.S. for many people. It’s no longer an ideal choice for those on a tight budget so I can understand some negative sentiment from that group of people.

For certain others, I suspect they’re just toxic and would dislike anywhere they live.
This. There are a few regular Florida haters I see on here, which appears to be largely due to politics and cost of living. It’s the same way people hate California, also for politics and cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida