Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 05:22 PM

25,703 posts, read 12,779,845 times

Advertisements

Why are 130-150M visitors coming to Florida each year..and growing, and why is FLA in the top 3 for net domestic migration for the past few years..and growing, if it was such a bad State?

Look at all the thread topics on this page and prior pages proclaiming all the evils of Florida...costly groceries, costly insurance, overcrowded, too this, or too that.

Talk about Chicken Little syndrome...or is it all jealousy? Or is it some other hidden agenda?

OVERALL, the only places that beats Florida as a place to be is Heaven, & Utopia.

Ignore the negative Nellies..come on down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 06:13 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,742,664 times
I think the real problem is that a lot of online commentary lacks nuance. Everything is either irretrievably horrible or delightfully perfect, with no room for any sort of middle ground. This is obviously not limited to the topic of Florida but is in fact what passes for "debate" too often across the internet.

Old 02-07-2024, 06:42 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Why are 130-150M visitors coming to Florida each year..and growing, and why is FLA in the top 3 for net domestic migration for the past few years..and growing, if it was such a bad State?

Look at all the thread topics on this page and prior pages proclaiming all the evils of Florida...costly groceries, costly insurance, overcrowded, too this, or too that.

Talk about Chicken Little syndrome...or is it all jealousy? Or is it some other hidden agenda?

OVERALL, the only places that beats Florida as a place to be is Heaven, & Utopia.

Ignore the negative Nellies..come on down.
Some of the criticisms are real. Some people move to Florida without a full picture or understanding of where they are moving. For me the there were a few surprises (property tax evaluations and insurance) but the positives more than outweigh the negatives.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,396,448 times
First off, there are more PEOPLE now than there were 20 years ago. So it stands to reason that more people would be visiting Florida than visited 20 years ago.

Second, Disney World, Epcot, all the other Orlando-area amusement parks, attract more people than say, Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge in Arkansas, for example.

Third, there are a LOT more retirees living in Florida now, than there were living here 20 years ago. That means a LOT more grandkids visiting now, than visited here 20 years ago.

Those are some reasons why there are so many more people *visiting* now than there were 20 years ago.

As for people moving down here, well the "more people, period" still applies. More people = more people moving when they hit retirement age.

It also means more adult children moving down here to be with their retired parents, than there were 20 years ago. Especially now with the costs of long-term health care that isn't covered by Medicare being SO expensive, many families have moved to become their parents' caregivers.

Florida wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is, if it weren't for the people living in it who have SUCH a huge problem with anyone daring to move here.

Maybe Florida should've built a big, beautiful wall at their border. Have Cuba pay for it.

Old 02-07-2024, 09:42 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,279,227 times
Florida is the best state in the U.S. for many people. It’s no longer an ideal choice for those on a tight budget so I can understand some negative sentiment from that group of people.

For certain others, I suspect they’re just toxic and would dislike anywhere they live.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I think the real problem is that a lot of online commentary lacks nuance. Everything is either irretrievably horrible or delightfully perfect, with no room for any sort of middle ground. This is obviously not limited to the topic of Florida but is in fact what passes for "debate" too often across the internet.
I agree...sensationalism sells more advertising. But how to 'spain all the negative posters constantely atacking the best State in the USA?

Are they eternally miserabel people? Do they have some hidden agenda or political motivation?

Florida leads the nation, or is near the top in nearly every possible category. If you can't be happy here, see a Doctor.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Florida is the best state in the U.S. for many people. It’s no longer an ideal choice for those on a tight budget so I can understand some negative sentiment from that group of people.

For certain others, I suspect they’re just toxic and would dislike anywhere they live.
Agreed...Florida's not a place for the bottom 60% living paycheck to paycheck...the paychecks here are too small, and costs are too great...above the midpoint in Coastal Florida...but not the interior.

When some thing, or some place, is good, people want it...demand rises...then costs rise too.

Florida's a great State, & it's in high demand, so the costs are rising. Is that bad? I think not.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

Maybe Florida should've built a big, beautiful wall at their border. Have Cuba pay for it.
Maybe there is a hidden agenda...a politically-motivated hidden agenda. That 'splains a lot of it.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:56 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
People don't post about their happiness, most people only post to complain about things.

It's just human nature I guess.

Old 02-08-2024, 10:32 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
People don't post about their happiness, most people only post to complain about things.

It's just human nature I guess.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida