Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 01:37 PM

9,144 posts, read 6,196,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Theme parks/bobbing in the water desire easily corresponds with age too.........Offer a 10 year old FL theme parks/beach or NY to go to a museum/play and what do you think they will pick? Same offer to a 70 yr old?

I'd bet Disney does more business in a day than Broadway does in a month!

MCO (Orlando) is a busier airport than both JFK/Laguardia .

I'll bet that McDonalds sells more hamburgers than Le Bernadin, but that doesn't make it better.

MCO may be busier because there are so many little rugrats from the US passing through, but there are many more destinations to which you can fly from NYC than from MCO.

There are approx. 30 destinations to which you can fly non-stop from MCO. There are almost 100 destinations to which you can fly from JFK.

And the variety of destinations is much better from NYC. There are only six destinations outside the western hemisphere to which you can fly from MCO, compared to fifty-seven from JFK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2023, 02:49 PM

18,460 posts, read 8,287,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
There are approx. 30 destinations to which you can fly non-stop from MCO. There are almost 100 destinations to which you can fly from JFK.
ok now that's way wrong....

105 US destinations non-stop

https://www.orlandoairports.net/flights/us-service/

44 International destinations non-stop

https://www.orlandoairports.net/flig...ional-service/

total of 149 non-stop destinations out of Orlando

========

New York has 190

https://www.flightsfrom.com/JFK

...but you've got Kennedy, LaGuardia, Newark, etc didn't look them all up

Old 03-03-2023, 05:19 PM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Lol @NY.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:31 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
... You will not find any moose elk or caribou in Florida, no wolves either, coyotes? Not sure there. No beaver, few if any bald eagles....
Florida has a good sized Bald Eagle population.

https://birdfact.com/articles/where-do-bald-eagles-live

The top 5 states with the highest estimated populations of Bald eagles are as follows:
  • Alaska: 40,000 to 50,000 birds
  • Minnesota: 5,500 to 12,000 birds
  • Wisconsin: 5,000 to 10,500 birds
  • Florida: 3,000 to 5,250 birds <-----Florida is #4 in the USA
  • Washington: 2,000 to 4,000 birds

Last edited by Variable; 03-03-2023 at 06:19 PM..

Old 03-03-2023, 05:45 PM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Florida's has a good sized Bald Eagle population.

https://birdfact.com/articles/where-do-bald-eagles-live

The top 5 states with the highest estimated populations of Bald eagles are as follows:
  • Alaska: 40,000 to 50,000 birds
  • Minnesota: 5,500 to 12,000 birds
  • Wisconsin: 5,000 to 10,500 birds
  • Florida: 3,000 to 5,250 birds <-----Florida is #4 in the USA
  • Washington: 2,000 to 4,000 birds
I see Bald Eagles every day when they are here in SW Florida. They are not here year round though. One flew over my neighbors house this morning. I know where to look for them...their favorite perches, & 1 nest that is visible from the road.

I think Florida's beaches are the best, but I like fine white sand, & aqua water that is swimable.

I'm not big into theme parks, but Cedar Point in Ohio has the best roller coasters I've ridden on.

Nightlife...Florida's okay, but outside Miami, & Delray Beach, its just okay.

Water activities...great for swimming, boating, jet ski, paddle boarding, kayaking, surfing (in a few spots), scuba diving & snorkling, fishing...because its year round, I'd have to put Florida as #1.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:33 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
I constantly travel the US and it is a stunning country.

For beauty, you can't beat Utah, especially the Moab and Monument Valley areas. The West, in general, is simply amazing.

California is stunning, too, especially when you get into the farmland with the mountains in the background. I just hate the smog.

I was born in Massachusetts, lived in Florida and Tennessee. I was a huge Knoxville booster for many years, but don't really care for it anymore. It's funny, but every time I travel into Florida, it just feels like home to me.

I urge everyone to visit all of this beautiful country, though. It's worth it.

Old 03-06-2023, 11:32 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breecat22 View Post
The theme parks are just unreal, like Disney World and Universal Studios. Plus the nightlife around is so much fun.
Visit a great theme park like Cedar Point or Canada's Wonderland and it will make the mouseland look like a traveling carnival.

Old 03-06-2023, 11:42 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
I'll bet that McDonalds sells more hamburgers than Le Bernadin, but that doesn't make it better.

MCO may be busier because there are so many little rugrats from the US passing through, but there are many more destinations to which you can fly from NYC than from MCO.

And the variety of destinations is much better from NYC. There are only six destinations outside the western hemisphere to which you can fly from MCO, compared to fifty-seven from JFK.
Re-read your post about NY (which is what my response was to)

Quote:
Depends on what you consider a "major offering" for entertainment.

New York's combination of theatres, concert halls, and museums for indoor entertainment is hard to match elsewhere other than London.

New York's Adirondack Mountains and Great Lakes provide extensive outdoor activities in all four seasons.

New York's international airports provide access to global many attractions.

These are more attractive to me than theme parks and bobbing in the water.
Your reasoning is non sequitur. You are saying NY is the best, yet it offers airports to leave to see other global attractions?!?!

How many spring training games does NY have this year? Oh, zero because the teams are playing in Florida! Baseball spring training is huge for some people, fans make their vacation plans around the Florida schedules (Mets- Port St Lucie, Yankees= Tampa).

So you can certainly pick and choose attributes of both areas but nobody plans their dream vacation to Brooklyn in March!

Derek Jeter is Mr. New York right? Where did he move when the playing season was over? Oh, Flariduh.

Old 03-06-2023, 12:20 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,855,495 times
Hawaii beats Florida any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Old 03-06-2023, 12:28 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokozel View Post
I was thinking of fun things to do the other day and I came to a sort of realization. If you look at that unique combination of major offerings that Florida has and then try to find even just one other state that offers anything close to that incredibly unique powerhouse combination, it's much harder than you think. I couldn't even really think of a single other state out of 49 so I just gave up. Any thoughts or suggestions on other states that have the same kind of thing going on? Am I missing something??
We haven't lost a thing in Florida. As far as we are concerned you can enjoy all that good stuff in Florida and we will enjoy the Carolina Coast. When it gets so hot you cannot walk in the sand it is a little hard to enjoy the beach. We prefer cleaner, more natural and less commercialized places and in the really hot summertime the waterfalls and creeks in Western North Carolina and the beach at Lake Lure is a much more pleasant place to be.

Last edited by NCN; 03-06-2023 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida