Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 10:28 PM

140 posts, read 111,610 times

Advertisements

Tell you what...I was in Idaho not too long ago, and their beaches absolutely suck compared to ours. FL 1 - ID 0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 04:03 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
All states differ and there are a lot of really beautiful states. I do not think there is any meaningful way to reate one as prettier than another. Some states are not very pretty (Texas) but many of them have their own unique beauty that is unmatched elsewhere.

I lived in California for 18 years and there is a lot of really amazing cool things and incredible variety there. Michigan where i live now is prettier, but not as vaired and not as many different things to do. Even Michigan and Florida can be compared and found equal I think.

Florida beaches are large expanses of sand. Michigan beaches have dunes, lighthouses and singing sand. Also far fewer people and lot of cool dogs. There is cool fauna in both places. You will not find any moose elk or caribou in Florida, no wolves either, coyotes? Not sure there. No beaver, few if any bald eagles, not sure about deer, foxes, mink, ermine, a dozen species of hawk, maybe great blue herons? Florida has crocs, and gators, and flamingos and manatee (Florida's version of a moose I guess). The water is stunningly beautiful in both places (Lake Superior shorelines have especially clear/ turquoise and blue water).Is there cliff jumping in Florida?

New York is similar to Michigan except that ugly smells crowded wart at the bottom of the state. Kentucky has amazing caves, mountains, and forests. Utah ahs canyons and rock formations and probably the best trail I have ever been on (Zion). Arizona has the spectacular beauty of the desert (no deserts in Florida) and the highlands (Sedona, Prescott), and Grand Canyon, and petrified forest. California has some of pretty much all the things. Many are distant and when you arrive you just wait in endless lines to see stuff, but there is pretty much every kind of natural beauty that you can imagine. Deserts, beaches, islands, forests, swamps, mountains, canyons. But much of California is as ugly as most of Texas or New Mexico (both of which also have some fairly pretty areas they are just mostly ugly). Washington is pretty spectaular as is Montana. Montana is another state with a huge variety - but no beaches.

Old 02-03-2023, 04:09 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
I think Florida should invade Cuba so we can have 'mountains'.

Old 02-03-2023, 04:42 PM

283 posts, read 289,975 times
I think it has a good balance of those things that you mentioned, for the average person. I don’t recommend using the word “best” because it does trigger some people

Old 02-09-2023, 06:35 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times
There are a number of beautiful beaches throughout the coastal US. It depends what you are looking for. For warm water and tropical temps south Florida has the year-round lock within the continental US. But during the summertime it opens up many other possibilities. Long Beach Island NJ, Cape Cod, Ocean City, Long Island, parts of Maine and New Hampshire are just a few places with great beaches.

I enjoy the Florida beaches year round. That being said, there are many days that sea lice and jelly fish keep me out of the water. Sharks have recently become a concern as well as I have experienced them searching for food in knee deep water more than a few times in the past few months. Granted they are relatively small (about 3 feet) but where young sharks wander I am sure larger ones aren't far away.

Old 02-09-2023, 07:06 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
There are a number of beautiful beaches throughout the coastal US. It depends what you are looking for. For warm water and tropical temps south Florida has the year-round lock within the continental US. But during the summertime it opens up many other possibilities. Long Beach Island NJ, Cape Cod, Ocean City, Long Island, parts of Maine and New Hampshire are just a few places with great beaches.

I enjoy the Florida beaches year round. That being said, there are many days that sea lice and jelly fish keep me out of the water. Sharks have recently become a concern as well as I have experienced them searching for food in knee deep water more than a few times in the past few months. Granted they are relatively small (about 3 feet) but where young sharks wander I am sure larger ones aren't far away.
The sharks don't attack residents.

Old 02-09-2023, 07:20 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Depends on what you consider a "major offering" for entertainment.

New York's combination of theatres, concert halls, and museums for indoor entertainment is hard to match elsewhere other than London.

New York's Adirondack Mountains and Great Lakes provide extensive outdoor activities in all four seasons.

New York's international airports provide access to global many attractions.

These are more attractive to me than theme parks and bobbing in the water.

Theme parks/bobbing in the water desire easily corresponds with age too.........Offer a 10 year old FL theme parks/beach or NY to go to a museum/play and what do you think they will pick? Same offer to a 70 yr old?

I'd bet Disney does more business in a day than Broadway does in a month!

MCO (Orlando) is a busier airport than both JFK/Laguardia

I've been to Disney at least a dozen times, haven't been in 10+ years and can't see myself ever going again unless its with a young kid (like grandchild/niece/nephew). So while that isn't an attraction to me it still is for a lot of people.

I've been to more museums in DC than NY. But they were one time visits. So while having the Guggenheim nearby is nice, I'm not sure I'd be a regular. Just like if I lived near Disney, I wouldn't be a regular.

I think NY has great things to offer but along with those comes high cost of living/taxes and crappy weather 1/3 of the year.

Old 02-09-2023, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post

Just FYI..........Sharks are everywhere. 16 bites in Florida this year, 2 fatal. By contrast 54 people were killed by dogs in the US in 2022. Fido is more likely to kill you than Jaws. Alligators only killed one person in Florida in 2022.

Old 02-09-2023, 07:44 AM

FL has a few parts:

1. TV Florida- Miami Beach/Tampa/Naples/Palm Beach
2. Tourist FL- Keys/Orlando/theme parks/Daytona Bike week/Nascar/Destin (aka LA, Lower Alabama)
3. Dirt poor Florida (Century Village closet sized condos, trailer parks, hillbilly towns)
4. Farming Florida/Ranches
5. Sprawl Florida - cookie cutter communities built on top of each other with maybe a golf course surrounded by brutal traffic.

Everybody moves to Florida expecting #1 but usually end up in #5

Old 03-03-2023, 10:46 AM

12 posts, read 9,062 times
The theme parks are just unreal, like Disney World and Universal Studios. Plus the nightlife around is so much fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida