Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Theme Parks: Orlando or Los Angeles?
Orlando 128 77.11%
Los Angeles 38 22.89%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 06:39 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times

Advertisements

This is totally subjective. Which SET of theme parks in each METRO area do you prefer, especially if you've visited all or most of them.

Orlando: 1) Magic Kingdom 2) Animal Kingdom 3) Epcot 4) Disney Studios 5) Universal Studios 6) Islands of Adventure 7) Sea World

Los Angeles: 1) Disneyland 2) California Adventure 3) Universal Studios 4) Six Flags 5) Knotts Berry Farm

Me: Orlando. I've experienced both metro's parks (Except Six Flags near LA). The resorts in Orlando (Disney/Universal) are just so much larger and have more. Enormous detail and gorgeous. But LA's are no slouch by any means. Awesome as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 06:49 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
I was always under the impression that Orlando has the best theme parks.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:50 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
The Orlando ones.

Universal and Disneyland in Orange County, California were the first theme parks I had ever been to in my life. They're pretty awesome in general. The memories were fond and great, but Disney World and the Universal Studios in Orlando were on another level for experience. Still remember Dueling Dragons to this day as if I were getting on it just yesterday. It was a fun time.

Orlando excels at what it does best and what it does best are theme parks.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:22 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Agree with Orlando. Larger and have so much more. Granted advantages for LA is having better roller coaster parks, and having better weather at their parks.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:35 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Orlando wins this based on the question asked. The issue is outside of the theme parks Orlando is basically a suburban craphole full of strip malls and chain restaurants with no soul as a city.
You can't say that about LA.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:00 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
^Exaggeration but yes...LA wins as an overall city. I think Orlando wins this thread although I am not much of a theme park guy and dont have much experience so I won't vote.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:07 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
The only one of those theme parks that is actually located in Los Angeles is Universal Studios Hollywood.

I won't vote, but I will say I appreciate the versions that came first because of the history behind them, specifically Disneyland and USH. Disneyland was not only the first, but it is the only Disney park Walt Disney himself saw come to fruition and actually visited. Regarding USH, the studio tour is a unique and authentic experience that can't be found at any of the other parks, including DHS and USO. That backlot is literally over a century old, and so many greats have, and still work on it. The countless number of films and television shows that have been shot there is staggering. I remember passing the office that previously belonged to Alfred Hitchcock and freaking out. Freaked out when I saw Courthouse Square from Back to the Future and Bates Motel from Psycho. You really can't get that elsewhere.

What's ironic about WDW is the resort has so much land, and yet with four parks combined, their number of rides is lower than DL's and DCA's combined. The DLR packs quite a punch. Also this comparison is apples and oranges, and same with USH and USO. WDW and USO are considered vacation destinations. The DLR and USH are attractions within a vacation destination, which is California/Los Angeles. People go to WDW and spend two weeks simply just doing that. People come to California for two weeks and spend a few days at USH or the DLR or any other theme park, and do other touristy stuff in California, like San Diego, San Francisco, etc.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:09 AM

102 posts, read 129,462 times
I prefer the Southern California parks as I grew up in that area and spent much of my childhood there. But, I'm sure that most will prefer Orlando.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:29 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
The only one of those theme parks that is actually located in Los Angeles is Universal Studios Hollywood.

I won't vote, but I will say I appreciate the versions that came first because of the history behind them, specifically Disneyland and USH. Disneyland was not only the first, but it is the only Disney park Walt Disney himself saw come to fruition and actually visited. Regarding USH, the studio tour is a unique and authentic experience that can't be found at any of the other parks, including DHS and USO. That backlot is literally over a century old, and so many greats have, and still work on it. The countless number of films and television shows that have been shot there is staggering. I remember passing the office that previously belonged to Alfred Hitchcock and freaking out. Freaked out when I saw Courthouse Square from Back to the Future and Bates Motel from Psycho. You really can't get that elsewhere.

What's ironic about WDW is the resort has so much land, and yet with four parks combined, their number of rides is lower than DL's and DCA's combined. The DLR packs quite a punch. Also this comparison is apples and oranges, and same with USH and USO. WDW and USO are considered vacation destinations. The DLR and USH are attractions within a vacation destination, which is California/Los Angeles. People go to WDW and spend two weeks simply just doing that. People come to California for two weeks and spend a few days at USH or the DLR or any other theme park, and do other touristy stuff in California, like San Diego, San Francisco, etc.
The OP specifically said METRO area, not just city, in terms of where the theme parks are located........I'm with you on a lot of what you said. DL is a great park with a lot of nostalgia and history. But we who visit the Orlando area have a lot more to do than "just" theme parks. Cape Canaveral, Tampa/St. Petersburg, Gulf and Atlantic beaches, other Orlando attractions; we never tire of new things to do. Last year, Florida was the first state in the nation to have over 100 million visitors (105 million) in a single year.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:13 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
I've only been to the Disney parks, but based on that, Orlando wins. WDW blows Disneyland away (although I enjoy both).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City