Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 06:29 AM

17 posts, read 23,077 times

Advertisements

Hi, I won't say that I am even good driver but I try to be as cautious as I can or know how. I haven't driven on highways for any significant distant for a very long time. I just recently drove from broward county to west palm on the turnpike and already it made me very nervous. I know people speed on the turnpikes but I was driving at 60 to 70 mph which is around the speed limit and I feel like there are bullies that just wanted to drive me off the road. Doesn't matter if I drove on the right or middle lane, there were constantly cars dangerously passing and cutting me off even though there was plenty of space ahead for them to properly pass. There were cars behind me flashing their headlights even though they could just pass.

I am wondering if that is just a South Florida thing or a turnpike thing or am I doing something wrong? I try to stick to the right lane which I think is slower traffic but sometimes I do need to be in other lanes and it seems that one out of ten cars or so just want to jump me because they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 06:45 AM

17,147 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Welcome to Florida drivers. The Turnpike is like that from Orlando down to Miami. If you're doing under 90mph, you'll get ran off the road. Of course, there are state troopers everywhere, and they WILL pull you over, so it's a double-edges sword.

Just avoid the Turnpike if you can.

Old 12-25-2022, 06:48 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducerek View Post
Hi, I won't say that I am even good driver but I try to be as cautious as I can or know how. I haven't driven on highways for any significant distant for a very long time. I just recently drove from broward county to west palm on the turnpike and already it made me very nervous. I know people speed on the turnpikes but I was driving at 60 to 70 mph which is around the speed limit and I feel like there are bullies that just wanted to drive me off the road. Doesn't matter if I drove on the right or middle lane, there were constantly cars dangerously passing and cutting me off even though there was plenty of space ahead for them to properly pass. There were cars behind me flashing their headlights even though they could just pass.

I am wondering if that is just a South Florida thing or a turnpike thing or am I doing something wrong? I try to stick to the right lane which I think is slower traffic but sometimes I do need to be in other lanes and it seems that one out of ten cars or so just want to jump me because they can.
If you were driving 60 on the turnpike you were pissing people off.............stay in the right lane only.

Old 12-25-2022, 08:16 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
If you were driving 60 on the turnpike you were pissing people off.............stay in the right lane only.
Exactly!

https://floridasturnpike.com/about/f...-ed1164c2-c1a8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Turnpike (Above Link)
The speed limit for all vehicles traveling on Florida’s Turnpike System is typically 70 mph, except in construction zones or in other areas where reduced speed limits may be posted.
ducerek, was there construction where you were driving? Did you see what the posted speed limit was?

Old 12-25-2022, 09:14 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,187,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Exactly. And if you do get in the middle lane driving as fast as 70, don’t stay there. Move back to the right as soon as you safely can.

Old 12-25-2022, 09:31 AM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Welcome to Florida drivers. The Turnpike is like that from Orlando down to Miami. If you're doing under 90mph, you'll get ran off the road. Of course, there are state troopers everywhere, and they WILL pull you over, so it's a double-edges sword.

Just avoid the Turnpike if you can.
It's not just on the turnpike, it's on the interstates as well. I've lived in Florida for over 46 years, driven all over the state, and have seen that aggressive, angry driving has been around for many years, but seems to be escalating as our state gets more and more crowded.

We're now seeing this type of aggressive driving, disregard of traffic signals, and just general to hell with anyone else type driving on our roads in SW FL, I think it increases dramatically as more and more transplants ( and visitors) throng into our state and our roads get more crowded.

Though I don't believe this type of driving/behavior is limited to Florida. Those who act that way brought their behavior from
somewhere.

Old 12-25-2022, 11:15 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
I-95 is also ridiculous with aggressive drivers thinking the 95 refers to the speed limit. There's seemingly a major accident in Brevard County daily that shuts down the roadway for hours. Of course many blame senior citizens or tourists for being the bad drivers, but if one pays attention it's the FL resident aggressive drivers who create issues.

Old 12-25-2022, 02:03 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducerek View Post

Well gee, it must be a South Florida thing since this never happens anywhere else in the entire world.

(that's sarcasm, in case it went over your head)

The speed limit on Florida's Turnpike is 70, except in the construction zones and near the airport. If you're going 60 in a 70 zone, you'll experience people who want to go the actual speed limit, getting impatient with you. If you're going 70, you'll find people who want to go faster than that, getting impatient with you.

If you're not actively in the process of passing someone, OR in the process of entering a center-highway rest area, stay out of the far left lane. That lane is for ONLY those two things. Even if you're going the speed limit - in fact, even if you're speeding.

If you're going 80, and you're in the passing lane, and the person in the lane to your right is going 90, then YOU are in the wrong for being in that lane. You're both in the wrong for speeding. That's state law.

This speeding phenomena is not specific to Florida, it happens on every highway, in every state.

Old 12-25-2022, 02:19 PM

18,430 posts, read 8,262,327 times
ok people here's the Florida rules.....

4 lane highway....left (outside lane) to right (inside lane)

1st lane.....speed limit
2nd lane.....~10 mph over the limit
3rd lane.....~ 10-20 over that limit
4th lane....balls to the wall

Old 12-25-2022, 02:29 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
ok people here's the Florida rules.....

4 lane highway....left (outside lane) to right (inside lane)

1st lane.....speed limit
2nd lane.....~10 mph over the limit
3rd lane.....~ 10-20 over that limit
4th lane....balls to the wall
In cop talk, left lane is #1 lane, right lane would be #4 but you are pretty close on your estimates.

I used to commute to S. Miami years ago, literally 3 years of commuting. You could drive 100 MPH and never get pulled over unless you were shooting guns out the window or hurling liquor bottles at slower cars.

Broward/Dade have too many problems to be focused on traffic speeds.

That being said, I did 2200 miles last summer in Montana. Speed limit was 80........yet 90-95-100 were not seen as crazy fast. I had a rented Jeep Cherokee and it seemed ok up to 100 mph. I don't think much past that was prudent. It took forever to cross that state so extra speed was definitely welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida