Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 04:52 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Say it ain't so, bro....

I can't see you in that "little boys with their toys" category..
I have always been into FAST CARS. Took a break jake for 1.5 years and had a EV but missed the sound of a V8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 05:37 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,133,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You can easily think that but remember where most of these fine drivers originated from (up north and in some cases S.American/Carribbean countries).

I was driving on the Long Island Expressway last summer when I heard "a train type noise" yet there was no train. Then I realized the guy passing me on the right (10-15 mph faster) was driving a Honda Accord on the rim (no tire). The metal on asphalt sound was what I was hearing. He must have been a Florida guy on vacation right?
I'll note that nowhere in my post did I suggested that crappy behavior was a uniquely Floridian, or Floridian native thing; rather, that we just have an awful lot of it here. I don't care where people come from, I care that roadway lunacy increases the odds that I won't be able to provide for my family—or perhaps not even make it home. Quit being a screwball.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:26 AM

119 posts, read 117,675 times
oh my my....just stay out of the left lane and do the "limit" or so....get OUT of the way....simple stuff

Old 01-12-2023, 08:15 PM

729 posts, read 1,299,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducerek View Post
Hi, I won't say that I am even good driver but I try to be as cautious as I can or know how. I haven't driven on highways for any significant distant for a very long time. I just recently drove from broward county to west palm on the turnpike and already it made me very nervous. I know people speed on the turnpikes but I was driving at 60 to 70 mph which is around the speed limit and I feel like there are bullies that just wanted to drive me off the road. Doesn't matter if I drove on the right or middle lane, there were constantly cars dangerously passing and cutting me off even though there was plenty of space ahead for them to properly pass. There were cars behind me flashing their headlights even though they could just pass.

I am wondering if that is just a South Florida thing or a turnpike thing or am I doing something wrong? I try to stick to the right lane which I think is slower traffic but sometimes I do need to be in other lanes and it seems that one out of ten cars or so just want to jump me because they can.
This happens EVERYWHERE! It's not exclusive to Florida or more specifically, S. Fl.

Old 01-13-2023, 05:09 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,963 times
We are way too nice in this country. Most people drive like it’s a right instead of a privilege. We need to significantly up the penalties for bad driving.

1) First more unmarked police cars in every county in every state in this country.

2) Criminal speed, usually 20mph over the posted speed limit, automatic 30 days jail time. (Unless of a personal emergency like trying to rush to a hospital with a pregnant wife, so slight grey area)

3) Speeding over 15 mph the posted speed limit in a construction zone with workers present, automatic 30 days jail time.

4) Any observed tailgater by law enforcement (usually less the 1 length) on high speed roads like interstates or highways, automatic suspension for 6 months.

We are way too nice.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 01-13-2023 at 06:31 AM..

Old 01-15-2023, 10:18 AM

^^^^ that "solution" is clearly draconian.... "punishment" should "fit" the "crime"....driving 20/15 miles over the posted speed limit hardly necessitates jail time Nutty Being "too Nice" should never be a problem in a civil society - laws that are promulgated in a civil society should be firm, but also fair. There is such a concept called "fair punishment" and "fair time to be incarcerated" for various levels of crime. Doing time in jail for speeding 15 miles over the "limit" is moronic....besides that, enforcement just might be a bit difficult and a waste of law enforcement resources in stopping/preventing significant violations of statutes.

Old 01-15-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DovieHarding View Post
^^^^ that "solution" is clearly draconian.... "punishment" should "fit" the "crime"....driving 20/15 miles over the posted speed limit hardly necessitates jail time Nutty Being "too Nice" should never be a problem in a civil society - laws that are promulgated in a civil society should be firm, but also fair. There is such a concept called "fair punishment" and "fair time to be incarcerated" for various levels of crime. Doing time in jail for speeding 15 miles over the "limit" is moronic....besides that, enforcement just might be a bit difficult and a waste of law enforcement resources in stopping/preventing significant violations of statutes.
I guarantee stricter punishment would stop more people. Everyone gets one verbal warning, and you criminal speed again (20mph over) go directly to jail do not pass go!!

Old 01-16-2023, 08:49 AM

dumbest proposal ever, but respect logical administration of law

Old 01-16-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DovieHarding View Post
dumbest proposal ever, but respect logical administration of law
It’s not. I meant to say everyone gets one written warning for criminal speeding (20mph over posted speed limit) and after that next time is mandatory 30 days in jail. Everyone would drive like angels instead of entitled narcissists on the road as a result.

Old 03-09-2023, 02:55 PM

195 posts, read 130,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducerek View Post
Hi, I won't say that I am even good driver but I try to be as cautious as I can or know how. I haven't driven on highways for any significant distant for a very long time. I just recently drove from broward county to west palm on the turnpike and already it made me very nervous. I know people speed on the turnpikes but I was driving at 60 to 70 mph which is around the speed limit and I feel like there are bullies that just wanted to drive me off the road. Doesn't matter if I drove on the right or middle lane, there were constantly cars dangerously passing and cutting me off even though there was plenty of space ahead for them to properly pass. There were cars behind me flashing their headlights even though they could just pass.

I am wondering if that is just a South Florida thing or a turnpike thing or am I doing something wrong? I try to stick to the right lane which I think is slower traffic but sometimes I do need to be in other lanes and it seems that one out of ten cars or so just want to jump me because they can.

Lucky you're not in Germany. The police would FINE you for slow and dangerous driving -- Yes, slow driving can also be dangerous!!

The Turnpike is a highway. There are alternatives if you prefer to drive slower, which is fine of course, but Turnpike is a funny place to try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida