Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 04:35 PM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times

Advertisements

I was driving 78 mph on I-75 yesterday, in the left and center lanes, & I was cut in front of too many times to count.

I normally look in my rear view and move over accordingly, but they came up on me so fast, I had no time to move over...they are super speeders doing 90+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 06:13 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsha7277 View Post
Lucky you're not in Germany. The police would FINE you for slow and dangerous driving -- Yes, slow driving can also be dangerous!!

The Turnpike is a highway. There are alternatives if you prefer to drive slower, which is fine of course, but Turnpike is a funny place to try.
Driving the speed limit is not "slow and dangerous" driving. And drivers who run up behind a driver going the speed limit, tailgaiting and blowing their horns, flipping birds or whatever other adolescent behavior they're engaging in, are practicing aggressive and dangerous driving. Especially if this is occurring in the right lane. Or even the middle lane.

Old 03-10-2023, 06:21 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsha7277 View Post
Lucky you're not in Germany. The police would FINE you for slow and dangerous driving -- Yes, slow driving can also be dangerous!!

The Turnpike is a highway. There are alternatives if you prefer to drive slower, which is fine of course, but Turnpike is a funny place to try.
No, German police will not fine you for driving at or around the speed limit.

Old 03-10-2023, 07:48 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I'll note that nowhere in my post did I suggested that crappy behavior was a uniquely Floridian, or Floridian native thing; rather, that we just have an awful lot of it here. I don't care where people come from, I care that roadway lunacy increases the odds that I won't be able to provide for my family—or perhaps not even make it home. Quit being a screwball.
I've lived in CA, NC, SC, FL, PA, NJ, and spent a lot of time on the roads in NY, VA, MD, and DE. There are aggro drivers everywhere, reckless drivers, careless drivers, road ragers, yes they're everywhere . . . but it's on steroids here. The truth is in the crash and fatality statistics. Florida comes in at 15 in road deaths per capita and it makes into the 10 worst when you look at deaths per million miles of travel. The odds are not good and that's why car insurance here is so ridiculous.

People think it's their god given right to drive 55 in a 40, kill a pedestrian with their car, and then blame it on the pedestrian (I heard exactly that last night at a community meeting in Orlando - they literally blamed someone being killed in the crosswalk on people walking in "the wrong clothes" and not on the person speeding).

The idea that crazy driving here is because of "people from out of state or from the islands" (which I hear constantly) is positively bonkers. When someone passes me on the right going 50 in a 30 there's a 4:1 chance they have one of the following stickers and/or specialty plates on their car: FloGrown, Native, UCF, 'Noles, Gators.

Old 03-10-2023, 08:18 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,216,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Driving the speed limit is not "slow and dangerous" driving. And drivers who run up behind a driver going the speed limit, tailgaiting and blowing their horns, flipping birds or whatever other adolescent behavior they're engaging in, are practicing aggressive and dangerous driving. Especially if this is occurring in the right lane. Or even the middle lane.
We need to up the penalties substantially to stop aggressive drivers. Automatic jail time if you’re caught tailgating for longer than 3 seconds if the posted speed limit is over 45, for example. There would have to be specific laws of course but we need to up the penalties!!

My theory is a sizable portion of society is depressed and angry. They feel they have little control in their lives so they take that energy out when driving. Also, a lot of people in our society are stressed and have chronic cortisol levels, and this also causes them to drive aggressive or erratic. Last, it’s just plain egos out of control, border line narcissism, “I’m the most important person in the world and I own this road”

Old 03-10-2023, 08:32 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
We need to up the penalties substantially to stop aggressive drivers. Automatic jail time if you’re caught tailgating for longer than 3 seconds if the posted speed limit is over 45, for example. There would have to be specific laws of course but we need to up the penalties!!

My theory is a sizable portion of society is depressed and angry. They feel they have little control in their lives so they take that energy out when driving. Also, a lot of people in our society are stressed and have chronic cortisol levels, and this also causes them to drive aggressive or erratic. Last, it’s just plain egos out of control, border line narcissism, “I’m the most important person in the world and I own this road”
Gonna need to build many more jails dale.

Old 03-15-2023, 02:46 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
Statewide FL might have the most jerks per capita on the roads. I've travelled extensively throughout the US and the road rage has gotten noticably worse since the late 1990s. Plenty of areas have drivers not paying attention and being clueless but in FL you have that too combined with unstable, pissed off people behind the wheel. Other areas with some real entitled aholes on the road include NJ, VA, and the Atlanta area. I found northern New England, KY, WV, MO, and Plains states to have polite drivers

Old 03-15-2023, 03:53 PM

846 posts, read 682,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelassie View Post
driving the speed limit is not "slow and dangerous" driving. And drivers who run up behind a driver going the speed limit, tailgaiting and blowing their horns, flipping birds or whatever other adolescent behavior they're engaging in, are practicing aggressive and dangerous driving.
thank you!

Old 03-15-2023, 03:58 PM

846 posts, read 682,980 times
Florida drivers are the worst in the nation. I've lived in NJ, and I've never seen it that bad.

The worst part is that FL drivers are unpredictable. They'll stay at 45 mph, and only after you signal and start making a turn or changing lanes, they'll instantly speed up to 80mph just to cut you off.

The drivers on the road don't care if your life is in danger, so long as they get to their destination 1 minute faster.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:10 PM

835 posts, read 476,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Anytime ya wanna race me slice let me know bro. I will eat that twin turbo up like a pup. My modded Vette is always ready to play.
Nah, let’s work together, you can be my wingman and guide me through the people holding everyone else up doing 50 on the interstate. A modded Vette is indeed faster than my sportback, but we can still work together. I actually just learned that when another sporty vehicle is tailing you on the highway, it’s a way of asking to be your wingman. It really helps to have a faster car “clear a path” through the don’t-know-where-we-are-going dingalings on the interstate.

Also it’s not a twin turbo, it’s “TwinPower” Turbo (meaning only one turbocharger with a twin scroll system). It’s a proprietary family of BMW engines used by BMW and MINI. Pic.

Cars cutting you off dangerously on turnpike?-img_1055.jpeg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida