Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 09:09 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times

Advertisements

I live in Punta Gorda and lately when I drive in Lee and Charlotte Counties especially on the highway I'm running into SLOW drivers.

I don't mean your typical northerner in a Cadillac, 80 years old driving below the speed limit with NJ or PA plates, but regular type cars with Florida plates.

All over I'm noticing this. Like on 75 in the left lane driving 70mph, or 65mph in the middle lane. Even driving local roads by my house people going 40 in a 45 zone on a 2 lane road and you can't pass them.

This started happening more I'd say the last year or so.

Very annoying. I drive a Camaro SS and typically I get into the left lane and drive 90mph on I75. In a safe manor of course.

I don't notice anymore speed enforcement than normal on I75. Just the one spot in Charlotte and one spot in North Ft Myers. I know all their hangout spots and have a radar detector.

It screws the flow up. You can have just four cars in the area of the highway and all going slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2021, 04:28 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,694,174 times
We need to have POLICE moving the SLOW people on the fast lane to the right....

We dont have the Law that some States enforce where driver policing the left lane at slow speeds get ticketed.

I drive from Miami to Mid Pinellas County right by Indian Rocks Beach quite frequently and if Im going to be on the road during the day, I avoid I-75 all the way to 4/5 mls from the Skyway Bridge Turn to the West.

I only use I-75 if driving at nite or I get on the road either way Going there or Back at 4 AM.

Last edited by Huasho; 10-02-2021 at 05:45 AM..

Old 10-02-2021, 08:04 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
"I drive a Camaro SS and typically I get into the left lane and drive 90mph on I75. In a safe manor of course."

oxymoron

Old 10-02-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
"I drive a Camaro SS and typically I get into the left lane and drive 90mph on I75. In a safe manor of course."

oxymoron

Regardless., the left lane it's really a passing lane, you pass, speed up and move right because certainly there will be someone behind wanting to go faster than you.

If you're doinn 90 mph or 110 mph on the passing lane that is your business and the Sheriffs or Troopers will also eventually catch up with you too.

Speed Limits are there for a REASON and so is the Passing Lane too

Last edited by Huasho; 10-02-2021 at 10:24 AM..

Old 10-02-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Regardless., the left lane it's really a passing lane, you pass, speed up and move right because certainly there will be someone behind wanting to go faster than you.

If you're doinn 90 mph or 110 mph on the passing lane that is your business and the Sheriffs or Troopers will also eventually catch up with you too.

I agree with the first part of that sentence. Do you?

Old 10-02-2021, 03:19 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Another reason might have to with the popularity of the discounted rate programs initiated by the insurance companies where your driving is monitored for 90 days via a chip installed in your car. Allstate, State Farm and Liberty Mutual are three I know of.

Old 10-02-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Another reason might have to with the popularity of the discounted rate programs initiated by the insurance companies where your driving is monitored for 90 days via a chip installed in your car. Allstate, State Farm and Liberty Mutual are three I know of.
Well, IF THAT IS THE CASE . . . then those people NEED to get off the Interstates and go crawl away from there in the Florida Rural Roads. Or the Parking Lots known as US HWY 41, HWY 19 US 1 Or HWY 27 for example.. . .

Old 10-02-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Well, IF THAT IS THE CASE . . . then those people NEED to get off the Interstates and go crawl away from there in the Florida Rural Roads. Or the Parking Lots known as US HWY 41, HWY 19 US 1 Or HWY 27 for example.. . .
Yes, oh sure. Certainly don't want anyone driving the legal speed to be on the highway. Mustn't block the speeders and daredevils.

Old 10-02-2021, 05:48 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,841,261 times
Quote:

Florida Highway Patrol cars and as far as I know really any modern Law Enforcement vehicle that is not an SUV are ridiculously, insanely fast. I watch the chase videos and I'm 90% sure 90% or more of cars on the road CANNOT get away in out-speeding. Hellcats etc are maybe the one exception, this is why the police tend to have those.

If you're passing a cop at like 100plus and gun it, they will catch up to you... Have you seen the chase videos I watch? They can get up to 150 like really no problem. I have gotten to almost that speed once and I was damn lucky to have blended in with traffic afterward (Massachusetts, yes they were coming for me, lost line of sight in the tunnel, I got lucky. Obviously not doing 140 IN the tunnel but the point has been made.) They can probably go faster than that. I think I saw one video where they were chasing a speeding Hellcat and eventually gave up the chase (pretty sure you have to be going faster than 150 for awhile to even have a shot) but.. I mean, I think it's all about like where you are. Some people in Florida, I don't know Florida that well, I used to see people with videos of cars that can do like 170 or better say things like "I don't even stop for the police" like.. I'm sure they may have just hit the gas sometimes, I am not an expert on these things.

If you're going to speed... I would say make DAMN SURE you know where the police are, and always use your judgement and act accordingly if you think someone called you in.

Old 10-02-2021, 06:42 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You think? I thought that at first, but I don’t know that the popularity is so widespread that it would have a noticeable affect on driving habits in a region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida