Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 08:50 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
Florida Highway Patrol cars and as far as I know really any modern Law Enforcement vehicle that is not an SUV are ridiculously, insanely fast. I watch the chase videos and I'm 90% sure 90% or more of cars on the road CANNOT get away in out-speeding. Hellcats etc are maybe the one exception, this is why the police tend to have those.

If you're passing a cop at like 100plus and gun it, they will catch up to you... Have you seen the chase videos I watch? They can get up to 150 like really no problem. I have gotten to almost that speed once and I was damn lucky to have blended in with traffic afterward (Massachusetts, yes they were coming for me, lost line of sight in the tunnel, I got lucky. Obviously not doing 140 IN the tunnel but the point has been made.) They can probably go faster than that. I think I saw one video where they were chasing a speeding Hellcat and eventually gave up the chase (pretty sure you have to be going faster than 150 for awhile to even have a shot) but.. I mean, I think it's all about like where you are. Some people in Florida, I don't know Florida that well, I used to see people with videos of cars that can do like 170 or better say things like "I don't even stop for the police" like.. I'm sure they may have just hit the gas sometimes, I am not an expert on these things.

If you're going to speed... I would say make DAMN SURE you know where the police are, and always use your judgement and act accordingly if you think someone called you in.

The Chargers they have are not the Scatpack with the 392s or even the slower RT hemi. I believe they're the v6 ones. They're not super slow but not nearly as fast as a camaro SS or Mustang GT.

They used to have fast cars. Remember in the late 90s, early 2000s when they were using the 4th generation Camaro SS? Those were fast cars, faster than a v6 hemi. 0-60 in about 5 seconds.

In high school I wanted a Camaro SS, Z28 or the Transam but dad said it was too much power.

Law enforcement is getting away from muscle cars. a very select few depts use the newer Camaros though, but not many. Most are not thinking a speed first mentality anymore from back in the day with they were using the Camaro and also the Mustang 5.0 which FHP and a lot of agencies used at one time too.

I recall many of the 5.0 Foxbodies law enforcement like CHP was using were manuals as well! Seems tough to operate a manual, plus the radio and that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 04:21 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I drive a Camaro SS and typically I get into the left lane and drive 90mph on I75.
Why not just learn time management?
Leave for wherever you’re going on time….so you’re not always in such a rush?

Old 10-03-2021, 05:56 AM

451 posts, read 457,306 times
There's also the fact that some people regard their cars as an appliance and want to operate it in the most efficient manner possible. I had sports cars when I was younger and really enjoy driving but at some point I bought a Prius and have had a hybrid ever since. Just another game of strategy. Instead of handling you go for max mpg.

Old 10-03-2021, 06:30 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,280,188 times
I would beat em all with my modded 650hp C6 Vette brette.

Old 10-03-2021, 06:56 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I would beat em all with my modded 650hp C6 Vette brette.
They no longer need to outrun anyone with coordinated chases using techniques like blockades, aerial pursuit and my favorite end to foolish stupidity....the spike strips.

Old 10-03-2021, 06:57 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
They no longer need to outrun anyone with coordinated chases using techniques like blockades, aerial pursuit and my favorite end to foolish stupidity....the spike strips.
I know. Not like i am gonna run from the law.

Old 10-03-2021, 04:23 PM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Wow! I thought of this post today as I drove along I-75 in Sarasota County. Geez people, if you want to drive 65 , that is perfectly okay, but don't do so in the left or middle lanes.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:06 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
Advertising that you do 90MPH on the interstate is dumb. Like, no one cares what kinda care you drive. It's dangerous, and endangers everyone else's life on the interstate. I can under stand 70.....maybe 75 max, but c'mon man. 90? Thats just asking for trouble. I hope a cop pulls you over one day while you're doing that and suspends your license.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:32 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Advertising that you do 90MPH on the interstate is dumb. Like, no one cares what kinda care you drive. It's dangerous, and endangers everyone else's life on the interstate. I can under stand 70.....maybe 75 max, but c'mon man. 90? Thats just asking for trouble. I hope a cop pulls you over one day while you're doing that and suspends your license.
Well law enforcement does. Naturally when they're behind you you slow down. But if you're going like 75 on the highway and one is behind you they start tailgating you and then weave around you when they can and speed up.

On city streets they usually speed too.

I was on the highway here in SWFL and a Hialeah squad car was driving like a typical crappy Miami driver

Old 10-04-2021, 07:29 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Well law enforcement does. Naturally when they're behind you you slow down. But if you're going like 75 on the highway and one is behind you they start tailgating you and then weave around you when they can and speed up.

On city streets they usually speed too.

I was on the highway here in SWFL and a Hialeah squad car was driving like a typical crappy Miami driver
Mommy - everyone else is speeding. Why can't I? Please can I? can I? can I?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida