Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 09:50 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC_WA View Post
I'd agree.

I've been in FL on a work related project for the last 5 months and am about to head back to the PNW in a couple weeks.

My impressions of Florida drivers? Crazy as hell. I have never EVER seen such insanity like I've seen on the roads here. I've seen it every day... total disregard for safety at ridiculous speeds well above the speed limit.

Let me also say I'm 47 and drove my SRT Challenger here so I'm definitely not some out of state 80 year old with a PA tag driving his Cadillac at 55 mph. What do I consider insanity? Me driving 75-80 on 408 and 417 around Orlando (60-70 zones) and getting passed on both sides by cars going 90+... in some cases faster. Many times they were going at least 100 mph. I think I've seen 2 cases where a car was pulled over and both times were on 408 at 4:30 am when I was on my way into work. During the afternoon 3:30pm commute I see all the speeders but haven't seen much for enforcement. The handful of wrecks I've came up on were no doubt due to recklessness like this... and nothing much has been left of the cars involved.

Is that why the insurance is so high here? I read that FL is one of the highest states for insurance and out of curiosity I called Progressive for a quote as if I was moving here. They quoted me DOUBLE my current WA rate and I don't have any accidents or tickets.

LOL?

I've seen cars cut across 4-5 lanes of traffic at 90+ mph weaving in and out between cars... speeding down the far right lane and then cut all the way across to the far left lane only to cut all the way back across to the far right lane to take an exit... all this within a 1/2 mile stretch of the road. I mean WTH? Is getting to your exit 18 seconds faster really worth putting all these people at risk?

Pure insanity. They don't drive like this around Seattle metro. Everyone in Florida is in a hurry and it's too bad more cops aren't out catching these grossly negligent speeders because they'd definitely boost their monthly ticket quota.

Ya'll be safe out there.
This.

I’m in my 30’s and the only place I’ve seen such disregard for the safety of other drivers, the way I have in [South] FL, is Los Angeles.

It’s pure insanity. Savage, almost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 01:11 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This.

I’m in my 30’s and the only place I’ve seen such disregard for the safety of other drivers, the way I have in [South] FL, is Los Angeles.

It’s pure insanity. Savage, almost.
Yea I watch the lln labs channel on YouTube from Los Angeles cars crashing into trees on residential streets at 100mph into buildings and trees daily. Never seen the wrecks like I see in Southern California. What is wrong with la?

Old 10-14-2021, 01:59 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakDoc View Post
^^^glad you're not on a law-making/legislative body
Was that for my benefit? I hate to break it to you but that's essentially already what the law is in Florida. The only missing components are the lower points threshold and the enforcement . . . which already exist in a lot of other states and which we seem to be getting to slowly but surely.

The highway fatality rate in Florida is so bad that the only states that are worse than us are Louisiana, Mississippi, Arizona, New Mexico, Montana, and Wyoming.

There's no constitutional right to kill people with your car just because you say "it was an accident." Vehicular homicide carries a 15 year sentence in Florida. If we don't let felons carry guns we shouldn't let people who refuse to follow the rules behind the wheel.

It sounds like we know where to start.

Old 10-14-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Yea I watch the lln labs channel on YouTube from Los Angeles cars crashing into trees on residential streets at 100mph into buildings and trees daily. Never seen the wrecks like I see in Southern California. What is wrong with la?
Miami/Ft. Lauderdale is much the same!

Old 10-14-2021, 02:37 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC_WA View Post
I'd agree.

I've been in FL on a work related project for the last 5 months and am about to head back to the PNW in a couple weeks.

My impressions of Florida drivers? Crazy as hell. I have never EVER seen such insanity like I've seen on the roads here. I've seen it every day... total disregard for safety at ridiculous speeds well above the speed limit.

Let me also say I'm 47 and drove my SRT Challenger here so I'm definitely not some out of state 80 year old with a PA tag driving his Cadillac at 55 mph. What do I consider insanity? Me driving 75-80 on 408 and 417 around Orlando (60-70 zones) and getting passed on both sides by cars going 90+... in some cases faster. Many times they were going at least 100 mph. I think I've seen 2 cases where a car was pulled over and both times were on 408 at 4:30 am when I was on my way into work. During the afternoon 3:30pm commute I see all the speeders but haven't seen much for enforcement. The handful of wrecks I've came up on were no doubt due to recklessness like this... and nothing much has been left of the cars involved.

Is that why the insurance is so high here? I read that FL is one of the highest states for insurance and out of curiosity I called Progressive for a quote as if I was moving here. They quoted me DOUBLE my current WA rate and I don't have any accidents or tickets.

LOL?

I've seen cars cut across 4-5 lanes of traffic at 90+ mph weaving in and out between cars... speeding down the far right lane and then cut all the way across to the far left lane only to cut all the way back across to the far right lane to take an exit... all this within a 1/2 mile stretch of the road. I mean WTH? Is getting to your exit 18 seconds faster really worth putting all these people at risk?

Pure insanity. They don't drive like this around Seattle metro. Everyone in Florida is in a hurry and it's too bad more cops aren't out catching these grossly negligent speeders because they'd definitely boost their monthly ticket quota.

Ya'll be safe out there.
Unless it has changed fairly recently…….Florida is a no fault insurance state.

Old 10-14-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Miami/Ft. Lauderdale is much the same!

Yep. From what I've seen on the videos though, and not using racial stuff, but a lot of the people wrecking these cars look to be from other countries that are used to poor driving like Mexico, Cuba, Haiti.

Especially LA when they show the people wrecking a lot of times. I hear illegals out there are terrible drivers as well. That's why you hear about them if they're able to they run from the scene and just leave the car there.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:32 AM

42 posts, read 30,973 times
Yes yes, it would be safer if drivers would move out of the left lane! You want to drive 60? that's fine and great! just don't do it in the left lane, thereby other cars wouldn't weave across lanes and trucks to pass. Ever notice that truck and big rigs don't travel in the left lane unless they are passing slower traffic? Drivers don't use their rearview mirrors either. I see more dangerous activity in being distracted rather than speed demons. Drivers on the phone, texting, arguing, eating/drinking, talking, putting on makeup (see it ALL the time), dancing in place/playing loud music etc etc.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakDoc View Post
It's not going to be a problem on the highway if you simply don't camp out in the left lane even if you're doing the speed limit (75 or <), be aware, pay attention, and get out of the passing lane, which is the left lane, people !
If you stick to the middle lane it clogs up the road then. Even state troopers drive the left lane most of the time. Plus in this parts you got TONS of dump trucks driving slow in the right lane. If everyone uses just the middle lane it clogs the highway.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:27 AM

71 posts, read 56,089 times
I rarely rarely see Florida State Troopers camping out in the left lane unless they are on a call and have to speed by, you simply don't know WHAT the troopers are doing - on a call, going to a wreck, following a reckless driver, locating a missing child, following a stolen vehicle, aiding another Agency, etc etc....even then they don't 'light up', they run 'stealth' for a variety of good reasons.

The right lane is for 'slower' traffic' according to the Law of the State and in most states. Signs are abound: "Slower Traffic Keep Right" ! it doesn't mean even you get to camp out in the middle lane either if a car is approaching your rear! it means MOVE over also into the most righthand lane and allow the vehicle to pass, yes, even if you're in the middle lane!

Slower Traffic Move Right. If most did that, by looking in their damn rearview mirror, there would be a smooth flow of traffic rather than having a moving road block which is also a culprit in blocking passers. The effect would be a leap-frog unencumbered flow as long as some jackazz doing 65 in the middle lane blocking a car in the rear of him doing 70 in the middle lane - the jackazz in the middle lane should move to the right as soon as safely possible.

Blocking the center lane doing 65 is just as stupid, blocking the center lane doing 70 is also stupid - blocking the right lane doing the speed limit ain't no big deal - simply safely pass the guy or truck that is creeping where he is entitled to creep, but creep safely lol.

Use the damn rearview mirrors! if you gauge a vehicle approaching rapidly even if you're safely in the center lane, simply move to the right lane when safe to do so ! easy easy stuff. The problem many times is the jackazz in the middle lane maintains his speed and doesn't move to the right - sometimes they even slow down and just sit there, knowing and seeing another vehicle is behind him a wee bit too close - just move out of the damn way, wave them by - even if they're doing 85-90 on the highway. Problem solved.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Yep. From what I've seen on the videos though, and not using racial stuff, but a lot of the people wrecking these cars look to be from other countries that are used to poor driving like Mexico, Cuba, Haiti.

Especially LA when they show the people wrecking a lot of times. I hear illegals out there are terrible drivers as well. That's why you hear about them if they're able to they run from the scene and just leave the car there.
In my experience, it’s every demographic that’s aggressive behind the wheel, here. White, black, Hispanic, wealthy, middle class and poor.

South Florida has zero chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida