Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 04:29 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,465 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZhdvl_P1Zc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 07:18 AM

16 posts, read 10,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Advertising that you do 90MPH on the interstate is dumb. Like, no one cares what kinda care you drive. It's dangerous, and endangers everyone else's life on the interstate. I can under stand 70.....maybe 75 max, but c'mon man. 90? Thats just asking for trouble. I hope a cop pulls you over one day while you're doing that and suspends your license.
I'd agree.

I've been in FL on a work related project for the last 5 months and am about to head back to the PNW in a couple weeks.

My impressions of Florida drivers? Crazy as hell. I have never EVER seen such insanity like I've seen on the roads here. I've seen it every day... total disregard for safety at ridiculous speeds well above the speed limit.

Let me also say I'm 47 and drove my SRT Challenger here so I'm definitely not some out of state 80 year old with a PA tag driving his Cadillac at 55 mph. What do I consider insanity? Me driving 75-80 on 408 and 417 around Orlando (60-70 zones) and getting passed on both sides by cars going 90+... in some cases faster. Many times they were going at least 100 mph. I think I've seen 2 cases where a car was pulled over and both times were on 408 at 4:30 am when I was on my way into work. During the afternoon 3:30pm commute I see all the speeders but haven't seen much for enforcement. The handful of wrecks I've came up on were no doubt due to recklessness like this... and nothing much has been left of the cars involved.

Is that why the insurance is so high here? I read that FL is one of the highest states for insurance and out of curiosity I called Progressive for a quote as if I was moving here. They quoted me DOUBLE my current WA rate and I don't have any accidents or tickets.

LOL?

I've seen cars cut across 4-5 lanes of traffic at 90+ mph weaving in and out between cars... speeding down the far right lane and then cut all the way across to the far left lane only to cut all the way back across to the far right lane to take an exit... all this within a 1/2 mile stretch of the road. I mean WTH? Is getting to your exit 18 seconds faster really worth putting all these people at risk?

Pure insanity. They don't drive like this around Seattle metro. Everyone in Florida is in a hurry and it's too bad more cops aren't out catching these grossly negligent speeders because they'd definitely boost their monthly ticket quota.

Ya'll be safe out there.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:25 AM

30 posts, read 26,919 times
Agreed...get HELL out of the left lane, even if you're doing 70, just move the hell over to the right lane for godsake.

The left lane is for passing. If the prevailing speed on the interstate, such as I75, is 82mph, NO FHP is going to stop you with a bunch of other cars doing a similar speed.

Speed limits are there for a reason. Careless driving creates dangerous conditions, not merely going 79 in a 70 zone. There's speeding, then there is reckless driving. For instance, if you're weaving in and out of traffic, doing 85, you're probably going to get stopped by FHP.

Another problem is PASSING ON THE RIGHT - mainly because jackasses are camping out in the left lane doing 70, and NOT LOOKING in their damn mirrors.

If the jackazzes didn't think "well I'm doing the speed limit so I don't have to move", then it's likely that nobody would be passing on the right and/or weaving in and out of other lanes.

People, real dummies, think it's their RIGHT to just camp out in the left lane...LOL...NO, you morons, it's the PASSING LANE !

Some others think "the guy behind me is going too fast, I think I can just slow him down" ....thereby creating another hazard in thinking he's empowered to slow another vehicle down, rather than moving the hell out of the way in the first place.

I could care less if someone is doing 82-85 on the Interstate - few troopers are going to make a stop. on you for doing 82 or so - 90?? yes if they clock you two or three times with the radar hit and you're sustaining that speed - they will NOT stop you if you're accelerating to PASS in the left lane and you MOVE over to the right or center lane and reduce your speed.

Inattentive drivers, distracted drivers , and slow drivers are known by FHP to present to be far more dangerous. Speeders?? yes, and no ...it depends. In heavy, fast moving traffic, FHP is not going to "LIGHT YOU UP" to chase you from a dead stop to weave around other fast-moving traffic to catch you - their own actions will put others at risk - they *might* join the traffic calmly to follow you only then LIGHT UP UP when both can pull over to the emergency lane or an exit ramp.

Bottom line, get the hell out of the LEFT LANE and never create a 'rolling road block' across three freakn lanes.

Pay attention, drive safely, use your signals, and get out of the left lane and don't worry about the guy or gal doing 85....unless he or she is presenting a clear danger to YOU.

If he or she pulls out a gun, you might want to mind your own business and exit the road.

Simple.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:05 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,126,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC_WA View Post
I'd agree.

I've been in FL on a work related project for the last 5 months and am about to head back to the PNW in a couple weeks.

My impressions of Florida drivers? Crazy as hell. I have never EVER seen such insanity like I've seen on the roads here. I've seen it every day... total disregard for safety at ridiculous speeds well above the speed limit.

Let me also say I'm 47 and drove my SRT Challenger here so I'm definitely not some out of state 80 year old with a PA tag driving his Cadillac at 55 mph. What do I consider insanity? Me driving 75-80 on 408 and 417 around Orlando (60-70 zones) and getting passed on both sides by cars going 90+... in some cases faster. Many times they were going at least 100 mph. I think I've seen 2 cases where a car was pulled over and both times were on 408 at 4:30 am when I was on my way into work. During the afternoon 3:30pm commute I see all the speeders but haven't seen much for enforcement. The handful of wrecks I've came up on were no doubt due to recklessness like this... and nothing much has been left of the cars involved.

Is that why the insurance is so high here? I read that FL is one of the highest states for insurance and out of curiosity I called Progressive for a quote as if I was moving here. They quoted me DOUBLE my current WA rate and I don't have any accidents or tickets.

LOL?

I've seen cars cut across 4-5 lanes of traffic at 90+ mph weaving in and out between cars... speeding down the far right lane and then cut all the way across to the far left lane only to cut all the way back across to the far right lane to take an exit... all this within a 1/2 mile stretch of the road. I mean WTH? Is getting to your exit 18 seconds faster really worth putting all these people at risk?

Pure insanity. They don't drive like this around Seattle metro. Everyone in Florida is in a hurry and it's too bad more cops aren't out catching these grossly negligent speeders because they'd definitely boost their monthly ticket quota.

Ya'll be safe out there.
I don't drive to work any more but when I did this was the worst on 408 and 417. It's pretty bad on I-4. I also used to see it on the Turnpike but it was the least frequent there.

Don't get me wrong, It was pretty bad in the Bay Area but it's definitely special here.

I think it's down to a few things here - 1. You can drive at a younger age here and because there's not much of an alternative to having a car here every late teen/early 20-something d-bag has a car.
2. It's still a very much a small town attitude of being able to get everywhere in 20 minutes and everyone else on the road is just "in your way." 3. An insane sense of superiority, entitlement, and general narcissism. You can see it in this thread. "The rules are for other people. I'll drive as fast as I need to. Everyone is in my way. There are no consequences for my actions." 4. Lack of enforcement (this was also a big problem in California).

There are 6.8 million licensed drivers in Florida. If police spent a year looking to get 6,800 of the most sociopathic drivers off the road it would probably save at least a dozen lives in that first year, would bring our insurance rates down, and send a message to everyone else. Slow down, learn the rules of the road, then follow them.

The points system needs to be lowered to license suspension at 5 points. If you're breaking the law and you crash your car - instant suspension. 30 days is not enough time. First suspension should be 60 days and subsequent suspension should be much longer. After a 3rd suspension it should be years without a license.

Jail time should happen way more often.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...ears-in-prison

Old 10-08-2021, 07:37 AM

71 posts, read 56,043 times
^^^glad you're not on a law-making/legislative body

I agree, don't be stupid, but get out of the left lane, it's a passing lane, even if you're doing the speed limit ! just move out of the lane! easy

Old 10-12-2021, 02:59 PM

141 posts, read 115,407 times
This thread identifies two things that are true simultaneously. First, the left lane should be reserved for passing. Second, speed limits aren't a mere suggestion.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:30 AM

71 posts, read 56,043 times
Around here I've witnessed as much of a hazard, driving too slow as driving too fast...driving fast isn't automatically driving recklessly (which can kill you and others)

In very very light traffic on the interstate, (e.g. early early morning or super late at night) I rarely drive under 80 on cruise control....in traveling interstate....but I'm in the center and right lanes, and there is little to no traffic.

Old 10-14-2021, 03:51 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
"I drive a Camaro SS and typically I get into the left lane and drive 90mph on I75. In a safe manor of course."

oxymoron
OP is probably the person that speeds aggressively to red lights and tailgates slower drivers. His sense of self worth is low so he compensates with his “cool” sports car.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 10-14-2021 at 04:11 AM..

Old 10-14-2021, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I live in Punta Gorda and lately when I drive in Lee and Charlotte Counties especially on the highway I'm running into SLOW drivers.

I don't mean your typical northerner in a Cadillac, 80 years old driving below the speed limit with NJ or PA plates, but regular type cars with Florida plates.

All over I'm noticing this. Like on 75 in the left lane driving 70mph, or 65mph in the middle lane. Even driving local roads by my house people going 40 in a 45 zone on a 2 lane road and you can't pass them.

This started happening more I'd say the last year or so.

Very annoying. I drive a Camaro SS and typically I get into the left lane and drive 90mph on I75. In a safe manor of course.

I don't notice anymore speed enforcement than normal on I75. Just the one spot in Charlotte and one spot in North Ft Myers. I know all their hangout spots and have a radar detector.

It screws the flow up. You can have just four cars in the area of the highway and all going slow.
You’re a perfect example of what’s wrong with our society. There’s this sense of entitlement going around and it’s a cancer people like you have. Most people are in a rush, living life with chronically high cortisol levels.

You sound like a whiny you know what. You clearly have no patience, because objectively that extra 10-15 mph only might get you somewhere 2-3 mins faster on short trips, but in your eyes you feel entitled for everyone to just get out of your way so you can get to the red light faster then they do.

Old 10-14-2021, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC_WA View Post
I'd agree.

LOL?

Ya'll be safe out there.

It’s pathetic these entitled ego driven maniacs, like OP, and then actually having the audacity to whine about people driving too slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida