Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 25,188 times

Advertisements

Chaining a dog should be illegal ...
It either makes a dog crazy or breaks his spirit...
Just think what the dog is feeling - an isolated companion animal -that is also a pack animal . Made to live alone without contact with another living being ..
It's beyond cruel.
Also a criminal loves to see a chained or caged dog -- he knows exactly where the dog is & can break into your house or car undisturbed .
If you aren't going to give a dog a good , forever home -- Please Don't get a Dog .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 PM

24 posts, read 82,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyT View Post
Chaining a dog should be illegal ...
Just think what the dog is feeling - an isolated companion animal -that is also a pack animal . Made to live alone without contact with another living being ..
It's beyond cruel.
Also a criminal loves to see a chained or caged dog -- he knows exactly where the dog is & can break into your house or car undisturbed .
If you aren't going to give a dog a good , forever home -- Please Don't get a Dog .
You are right,In Orlando it is Illegal to chain a dog from 9.00AM to 5.00PM all year around.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:20 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_87 View Post
Hey guys, just to add my thoughts...

The South African Boerboel, is an amazing guard dog and ideal for the hot weather, ... Ad.
Got to second What Ad says re the South African Boerboel, I have been doing lots of research as we are planning to get a second dog and these dogs get rave reviews, they are obviously used to the heat coming from South Africa, they are highly loyal to their family and protective and their mere size I think would be enough to deter any potential criminal

Oh and I forgot to add, highly patient and tolerant! .... check this out!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vsjcB1...eature=related

Last edited by mr&mrssunshine; 10-08-2008 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: add text

Old 10-08-2008, 11:08 AM

598 posts, read 2,268,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45 View Post
You are right,In Orlando it is Illegal to chain a dog from 9.00AM to 5.00PM all year around.
So where is the dog during the day then? Most likey in the hot garage, shed or other crappy place since people who chain them outside at all do NOT want a dirty dog in their living space! And I'm sure these people's neighbors just love hearing the poor dog bark and carry on all night (they WILL release their pent-up energy somehow) after being cooped up all day, then chucked outside on a chain untill morning.

If people would just do what's right and keep them in the house as part of the family and give them the love and respect they deserve, 99% of dog troubles would be non-existant.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:16 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Please..stay on topic about a good guard dog for FL.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,688 times
Fila brasilia is the only dog that are genetically hard wired to "hate strangers." they can be in and out of your house as much or little as you would want. Only problem is say you bring a friend over, youll have to put your dog outside and restrained/secured because it will attack them, brutally.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:35 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I agree. We don't have a guard dog we have a Basset Hound. Would anyone be afraid of a Basset?

Believe it or not, I've seen people who are. Granted, maybe they're afraid of being drowned in drool, or squashed to death....

We got him from the Basset Rescue in our area

Bravo! The best move you could have made. Our younger Basset is a rescue, and she holds a huge chunk of my heart. She follows me everywhere, and goes to sleep in my arms almost every night.

and we paid a pretty low adoption fee which included shots and neutering.

Emily hadn't been neutered when we got her, and the rescue offered to pay for the surgery, but we paid for it ourselves. There was no reason why they should have stretched their already-thin resources to take care of our girl once she was our responsibility (they were shocked that we wanted to pay -- they said no one had ever offered to do that before). We had her spayed two weeks after we brought her home, then sent them the proof from our vet.

We gave an additional donation because of all the good work the rescue folks do,

And I know they appreciated it. Rescues are stretched so thin now, it isn't funny.

but 2 grand for a dog is insane.
A lot of people will pay that for a scarce breed. I'd rather give a needy dog a good home (though we did go to a breeder for our two Jack Russells -- who are wonderful intruder alarms).

You don't really want a guard dog -- what you want is a dog who will make a lot of noise and alerd you that an intruder is nearby. Nine times out of ten, that takes care of the situation. Burglars don't want any attention called to themselves. Little yappy dogs are great for this.

And Bassets, with their deep barks (Emily sounds like a German Shepherd) provide obfuscation.

Last edited by KathyA11; 03-17-2009 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Added material

Old 03-17-2009, 01:36 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyt View Post
chaining a dog should be illegal ...
It's beyond cruel.
If you aren't going to give a dog a good , forever home -- please don't get a dog .

amen!!!!

Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
They may be the worst guard dogs you could get. While you are being robbed they would go off chasing a squirrel. Pit bulls can't even be taught to stay out of the road, they will walk right into traffic and get hit. A trainer will tell you that both those breads are smart. They can be taught tricks pretty quick but can't be depended on to do what you want when you want them to. A guard dog has to be dependable.
Would have to disagree, I have a female boxer and she is a great guard dog and defends my gf mercifully on walks, etc... If somebody came in our back yard I would feel VERY sorry for them. She absolutely HATES males that she doesn't know. Other good besides that, 1/2 the people that see her THINK shes a pit and they'd probably assume that seeing her say at night. Other than that she is loveable and great with kids who approach her to pet her.

Most thing that has problems if stupid people put their hands in the air or carrying a stick or something or try to look at them at eye level. Uhh yeah, my dog is not going to like that you dumbass so why you surprised when they lunge and bark at you?

That being said, she is an inside dog... not gonna let her stay in the backyard, hell I wouldn't wanna stay in the backyard... too hot for any dog if you care about them.

I have 2 other dogs besides this one but small dogs that are loud and the barkers.

Don't get a dog if you aren't planning on keeping it like its part of your family. There are plenty of people who want them as that and they are better off with them than keeping a dog in the back yard all the time.

Last edited by grapico; 03-17-2009 at 07:08 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 12:31 AM
TPL

136 posts, read 317,641 times
The Best Guard Dog is a dog that you treat as part of your family. Dogs are Pack Focused animals, and as such, they will readily defend and give their lives for another member of their pack.

I have three dogs right now:

-The first of the three is a Jack Russell Terrier of 7 years (From a Breeder on a Farm). She is a complete Alpha dog, and runs the others both in the house, and at the park lol. Whatever she does, the other Dogs of my pack will soon follow suit. If she barks at something, especially around my house, the others know that a situation is forming. Not to mention the sharp teeth which she has, which when combined with her speed, she could easily decapitate a Male attacker if you know what I mean

-The second is my sis' dog, a JRT, mixed with a Schnauzer (2 Years Old- Rescued from a Cardboard Box which was left at a Gas Station in SC). She is now the constant alarm, and she barks at ANYTHING which might be suspicious. She has a really loud, high pitched bark, and I can even hear it up the street when she is inside my locked/shut house. It is MORE than enough to deter someone who doesn't seek attention being drawn towards their nefarious activities.

-The third dog is my Alaskan Husky (2 Years Old- From a Local Pet Shop which was supposed to be in Good Standing. Turns out, we essentially rescued her, as we found out later on how they willfully neglected the Pups), whose Non-Sibe Breed make-up consists of Akita. She stands about 24 Inches at the withers, and weighs in the 50lb. range, and she can pull like a Bucking Bronco/Bulldozer. She has EXTREMELY territorial and protective instincts, and at night she will Howl at people or dogs walking by. Just the other night I was out walking towards Blockbuster to drop a movie off at 1 AM, and even though it was mighty cold, I ran into two different strangers. The first began to approach down a path, and my AK Husky froze and went into that rigid Alert stance. She made a little grumble sound, and wouldn't move. As the person walked by, she started a deep guttural growl and became as firm as a rock. She then proceeded to actually PULL towards the person when he got too close, and I had to yank her back to prevent her from what seemed like her wanting to piece the stranger up. Then on the way back we ran into some Teens up to no good, and one got out of a car to walk by us, and she went ballistic barking at him. He walked WAAAAY around us in the grass as I held her back. Then just past the house where that occurred, she suddenly looked and barked towards the yard between houses, then I saw some kids running and hiding behind bushes while cussing, because they got busted toking some joints lol. She is also the First dog to charge the door when it opens, and if I walk somewhere out of sight, she will step in front of anyone who attempts to follow me, and proceed to growl at them.

Bottom line, I concur with some of the others on here (Kathy A11, Grapico) that the ideal situation is to get a Smaller, Alert Dog (Such as a Jack Russell Terrier), and if you wish, you can also get a bigger dog to enforce that Alert (Such as an Akita, or Huskies with Akita blood in them. Even Pure Siberian Huskies can be Protective if they see the need, but the Akita side adds even more Territoriality (which is seperate from the Pack factor in this case) ).

I will say however, that Akitas and Huskies really get dragged down in the heat. I live in VA, and we have some serious Summer Heat as well, which I hate, and my Husky hates it too. I also keep all of my dogs inside, except for walks, runs, or the park.

If you so choose to either invest in a cooling vest however, or to simply make your dog an indoor companion such as mine, then they will do alright in Florida. You just have to remember to take extra precautions against the possibility of them overheating.

BTW, NONE of my dogs are vicious. I cannot stress this enough. They are all the biggest goofs on the face of the Earth, and I treat them like family. I never beat them, always take them to their Vet, and always work them back to health when they fall ill. I absolutely love my Dogs, and I train them for the basics (Sit, Lay, Drop It, Leave It, Come Here, and even "Home" (They will dart to the Front Door and wait) ). I have NEVER trained them to Attack, or Guard, Bark, Howl, or Growl. My dogs are great with Friends and Family, and they all love even little kids, Cats, and non-Hyper Neighborhood Dogs. Through this regime, and through the way in which I include them in my "Pack", they are naturally Protective of my Family (lol even my Cat became Protective, she was the Toughest One), and even our Property to a certain extent. REMEMBER: There is a MAJOR difference between "Aggression", and "Protectiveness". If you cannot recognize the difference, please educate yourself further on the matter before looking into the purchase of a "Guard Dog".

I do not know the laws in your jurisdiction, but fortunately where I live they have laws on the books which protect Dogs in certain cases wherein they attack an Individual.

In my State (The Commonwealth of Virginia), a Dog is justified in an attack if the "Victim" was:

"(i) committing, at the time, a crime upon the premises occupied by the animal's owner or custodian, (ii) committing, at the time, a willful trespass upon the premises occupied by the animal's owner or custodian, or (iii) provoking, tormenting, or physically abusing the animal, or can be shown to have repeatedly provoked, tormented, abused, or assaulted the animal at other times."

and in regards to the Dog itself:

"No animal that, at the time of the acts complained of, was responding to pain or injury, or was protecting itself, its kennel, its offspring, a person, or its owner's or custodian's property, shall be found to be a dangerous dog or a vicious dog."

As an end note, If you are willing to Take Care of, Protect, and Risk your life for your Dog, they pick up on this emotion, and reciprocate it towards you a Hundred Fold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida