Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 07:33 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,396 times

Advertisements

If the Dobie is on a short line you may want to call animal care and control, where I live they come right out and I do call a lot, even to the point of being threatened by my neighbors. I have four mixed breed dogs and I am one of the few in my neighborhood that has them all tagged, micro chipped and vaccinated. Thanks to a few neighbors and I we have seen a change in the amount of dog neglect here. How can fairly bright people think its good for dogs to be stuck in the backyard without no attention is beyone me. I too have friends who have guard dogs that live with them in the house, you would never know that they have been trained for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 03:12 AM

5 posts, read 18,647 times
Hello

whatever type of "guard" dog you get, if you raise him indoors with your family he will feel part of the pack and will want to protect them. Leaving any animal outside constantly in the Florida heat and humidity is cruel , especially if the dog is chained. It will result in an aggresive animal. The south is full of "mean" pit bulls, dobermans, that are actually really sweet dogs but were raised by some country yee'hah to become aggresive. Keep in mind if your dog does bite someone both you and the dog will have to pay the price -you legally, the dog with his life. I used to work in South Africa -dangerous place. Everybody had 2 dogs -a small yappy one to alert to possible intruders and a large, well trained dog for protection.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,490 times
Smile bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami View Post
Maybe somebody else can be more specific...........but the only dogs I know of that might have it easier are hairless dogs.......and I don't know any hairless breeds that are guard dogs. I'd stick to shorter haired breeds if I could and leave it at that. LOL

Hairless dogs accually would not be better...they are easily sunburned and sunscreen needs to be applied regularly, if you really want a dog for guard dog I would look into the Canis Panther, German Shepard, Rottie ect.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:14 AM

22 posts, read 146,388 times
Thumbs up Rotty or German Shepard

I agree that a Rottweiler or German Shepard is your best bet for a pet/guard dog. We have four rottys and they are all part of the family and do quite well in the summer. They are however, a very large and active breed that needs plenty of exercise. Ours love to swim in the summer so if you live someplace where you can take your dog for a cool refreshing dip that would probably be a good idea. Whatever you choose keep in mind that any breed in the Florida summer will need to be kept in a HEAVILY shaded area (never teathered) with access to lots of clean cool water and preferably some cool cement to lay on. Better yet is to keep your dog indoors during the hottest part of the day.

We breed AKC rottys so if I can help you in anyway please let me know. And just a friendly word of advice: If what you're looking for is a pet that will protect you and your property, then tell potential breeders whom you're interested in buying a dog from just that. Many reputable breeders (myself included) won't sell a dog to someone who simply says they're looking for a guard dog. Guard dog conjers up images of the dog teathered or left locked up in some business over the weekend. I want my dogs to be loved and well taken care of (as I'm sure you will your new dog).

Good luck & God bless,
Phil

Old 11-29-2006, 10:50 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
I love threads about pets. I used to have a 125 lb rotty. She was obedience trained and she had her own loveseat for a bed. She understood everything and if someone knocked on the door, she wouldn't bark IF you were there and went to the door and told her it was ok. She only liked to go out early in the AM and late PM. Otherwise, strictly AC!
Now I have a short hair catahula, lab, beagle, plus mix. He's 65 lbs. He barks if a fly comes near the house. He makes a LOT of noise but he's just another kid and loves to kiss. Tried training him too but never got as far as the rotty. I also have a min pin who is sooooooooo good and never barks UNLESS the big one starts barking. Their symphony can drive you insane. They are so funny. I also have 4 cats who zoom by constantly and follow the dogs around. But all my animals are indoors unless I'm outdoors with them. Lord forbid I ever see someone mistreat an animal. They'll have to deal with MY barking. :-))

Old 11-30-2006, 12:44 PM

25 posts, read 84,749 times
I may be Tampa bound very soon and have a 13yr. old AmStaff that is my baby. Any parts in or around the Tampa area that I should avoid due to the breed of dog that I happen to favor? Likewise any areas that you could suggest that might be a little more receptive to having one as a neighbor. As a guard dog - he's useless. As a friendly, loving, and loyal pet to myself and any stranger - he's perfect (sorry to disappoint you Nancy Grace ).

Old 12-22-2006, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,432 times
I live in gibsonton next to tampa.I don't think you have anything to worry about.I own a AM pitbull who is 5 years,a AM staff who is 1 yr,and we just rescued a 2 week old pup who is now 7 weeks.Every one I meet owns or have owed a loving bully breed.Some have douts because of the breed being mistreated by bad people but it is very easy to change thier minds when they see my 5 yr old son playing with them out side.Then they go into thier house that have ac,or my house to cool down and go to sleep.You should be fine.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:24 AM

251 posts, read 885,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudpapa View Post
Hello. I would like some advice from people who live in Northeast Florida. What types of guard dogs go well with the climate in this part of the state? Obviously a long-hair breed would not due well. I saw a cool looking dog called an Argentino Dogo that I thought might do ok since it was originally bred in Argentina? Any thought would be appreciated.
It looks like from your post that you want a dog for outside. I personally don't believe any dog should be an "outside" dog in Florida with temperatures as hot as they get...would you want to live out in that heat? I have had big dogs and small dogs, none of which ever lived outside....even my guard dogs (dobies x 3)

Old 12-22-2006, 10:18 AM

43 posts, read 208,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottysofpdl View Post
Guard dog conjers up images of the dog teathered or left locked up in some business over the weekend.
And this is why Rotties have a bad reputation in the public and the media. I have had 2 of them and I am a HUGE fan. Overgrown black and tan labradors in my opinion.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudpapa View Post
Hello. I would like some advice from people who live in Northeast Florida. What types of guard dogs go well with the climate in this part of the state? Obviously a long-hair breed would not due well. I saw a cool looking dog called an Argentino Dogo that I thought might do ok since it was originally bred in Argentina? Any thought would be appreciated.
well i'm a proud dogo owner an if you decide to get a dogo i'd also be proud of you as well.......lol

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida