Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 06:09 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roselover772 View Post
Not a good idea unless you have made the proper living arrangements for them...PLENTY of buckets of water and SHADE..plus flea,ticks, and misquitos are a big problem...
NO- dogs cannot be out all day and night in the Florida heat- NO

they dehydrate easily and the heat is excruciating------- Please dont ever chain your dog outside for long time periods........

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 06:53 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
I dont understand why they call "pit bulls" bulldogs either! lol.. The only thing I can really think of is that the three breeds that people call "pit bulls" (american pit bull terriers, american staffordshire terriers and staffordshire bull terriers) along with a few other breeds are considered bulldog breeds... also there are a few different types of bulldogs. There are atleast 14 breeds that are considered bulldog breeds...

I got all of this info and all of these pictures from.. http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/
I can only think of one explaination: "clueless and don't care". People/Insurance companies are lazy and don't do the research before condemming a whole group of dogs.

Thanks for the pics! OMG those are some cuties! Bully breeds are my absolute favorite...truly underrated by the masses.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:59 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Default I second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post

they dehydrate easily and the heat is excruciating------- Please dont ever chain your dog outside for long time periods........

sunny
As Sunny said, NO, NO, NO - not in Florida! The heat will fry your dog. And chaining a dog is bad for the dog on so many levels...they need to be fenced in - no chains.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:00 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
Quote:

sunny

Well said Helena, from what I understand in hot areas, leaving your dog chained out can get you Animal control taking your dog away because its cruel to treat a dog that way...nevermind that you would probably be sued if someone wandered onto your lawn and the dog bit them...

I would like to have a Rottweiler one day...one with a big enough jaw so that people thinking of breaking into my house would think twice, picturing their arm, leg, left butt cheek or whatever the case may be, in the dogs mouth...Its always a good idea to take the dog for a walk around the neighborhood, so they will know its there.

I used to babysit for a friend, I would go out to work in the garden, not for very long periods and I would attach Molly to the hitch of my truck, she loved to be sprayed with water, so I would water her down and work in the garden...this also helped people see that I had a dog.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:05 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times
Quote:

sunny
Wow! I couldnt agree more! I feel soo bad when I see all of these dogs outside .. even if they have shade, shelter, food, and water, it still breaks my heart!.. If I see a dog chained up outside I normally call animal services to go atleast check on them and make sure they can get to some kind of shelter, shade, food and water. In Florida (and in alot of other states) it gets WAY, WAY, WAY too hot for a dog to be outside! We will take our dogs for a 30min walk and by the time we get home they look like they are about to pass out!... I watch animal planet alot, especally the animal cops shows and the emergency vet shows... they have showed dogs that were out in the heat (even with shade and water) that end up going into shock, having heat strokes and even dieing! Even for a dog with short fur, that has shade and water, sometimes it just gets too hot! ... Plus, dogs are pack animals and they need to be with their family/ pack... I just feel so bad for these dogs that are left alone (or even with 1 or 2 other dogs) outside. It breaks my heart and I cant imagine that these dogs are happy or comfortable like that!

Old 05-12-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I can only think of one explaination: "clueless and don't care". People/Insurance companies are lazy and don't do the research before condemming a whole group of dogs.

Thanks for the pics! OMG those are some cuties! Bully breeds are my absolute favorite...truly underrated by the masses.
Thanks for the post! ... Those are some cute dogs! I would have to say that I LOVE bully breeds also! I wish more people knew the truth about them and understood them! They dont know what they are missing! lol

Old 05-12-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
It's a terrible reality, but yes, homeowner's insurance needs to be considered in regards to the original poster's query.

The list of dog breeds being discriminated against is growing. Shar Peis are even being added to the list with some insurers because of their history as a fight breed...yeah, the cute little wrinkly guys !

As I know it, these are some of the breeds that insurers are taking issue with:

German Shepards
Akitas
Bully breeds (Pit Bulls, BullMastiffs, Bull Terriers....)
Dalmations (yes!)
Dobermans
Chow Chows
Shar Peis

I'm sure there are more that I'm just forgetting right now.

I tried to fight it when the issue came up over my dogs - I said "they're mutts, I don't know who their parents were", but my insurance agent told me he had to put down actual breed names, that "mutt" would not suffice. So I made up breed names that they resemble and that I knew would not be on the list.

I'd prefer to pay a slightly higher premium for having dogs on the premises - no matter what their breed - but the insurance companies know they have the upper hand....if you have a mortgage, you have to have insurance.

I agree that this is breed discrimination and to put it simply, its just wrong! PERIOD! ... I understand that there are some breeds that ALOT of people will get just to make them mean, but that doesnt make all of them mean! I really think that the way everyone is going about this is just stupid! These "dangerous" breeds arent all bad. The ones that have been abused or trained to be that way are, but you can make any dog mean! I have two american pit bull terriers that are sweetys! They LOVE everyone!.. The people that I use to live next to have a yellow lab (well, they had a yellow lab she was put to sleep after what she did!) that attacked 5 people!.. My point is any dog can be mean and any dog can be nice! It doesnt matter what breed it is, what matters is how the owner is! I think instead of worrying about what breed the dog is they should make each owner and dog go through some kind of testing to make sure the dog is a nice dog and the owner is a responsible owner! That, to me, makes ALOT more sense!... Some places wouldnt allow my dogs, just because they are "pit bulls" (even though they have never and would never hurt anyone) BUT those same places would allow my ex-neighbors yellow lab (and she attacked 5 people!) umm.. to me, that would be a mistake!.. We need to worry about each individual dog and owner instead of not allowing certan breeds just because they are considered "dangerous" breeds.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:39 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Well said Helena, from what I understand in hot areas, leaving your dog chained out can get you Animal control taking your dog away because its cruel to treat a dog that way...nevermind that you would probably be sued if someone wandered onto your lawn and the dog bit them...

I would like to have a Rottweiler one day...one with a big enough jaw so that people thinking of breaking into my house would think twice, picturing their arm, leg, left butt cheek or whatever the case may be, in the dogs mouth...Its always a good idea to take the dog for a walk around the neighborhood, so they will know its there.

I used to babysit for a friend, I would go out to work in the garden, not for very long periods and I would attach Molly to the hitch of my truck, she loved to be sprayed with water, so I would water her down and work in the garden...this also helped people see that I had a dog.

I had a rotty a few years ago. She was a BIG girl, 125 lbs. but she was the biggest, heaviest lapdog baby you could ever have. She did get professionally trained and she was wonderful. That dog talked! She was strictly A/C and cold tile floor. We would walk her late at night for a really long walk. The only thing we had to be careful about was anything with wheels. Strollers, shopping carts, bikes. Had to hold her with both hands and we had to see it coming before she did and give her her commands.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:16 AM

97 posts, read 395,871 times
Can't leave dogs outside too hot.....alligators, snakes etc. Dogs need to be indoors. Small dogs better. Grass is not grass like up north so your yard never gets used down here.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:22 PM

266 posts, read 1,162,050 times
Would my Bichon qualify as a guard dog? Haha!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida