Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 12:10 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltic_Celt View Post
Hello All -

Is FL, in general, that crime-ridden that so many have guard dogs, or mainly specific larger cities? Is it mainly folks with kids, so the dog is more of a family companion, or are you protecting yourself inside your homes?

Just curious... Baltic_Celt
Florida has very easy gun laws. You can get a permit to carry a concealed weapon easier then a drivers license. My wife and I both have concealed weapons permits and shoot about once a week to stay in practice.

A barking dog is a real deterrent because it will wake up the owner and the odds are good he will be armed. Break in artists stay away from houses with dogs. It could be a poodle, as long as it is noisy it will do the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 12:42 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,583 times
Quote:
Is FL, in general, that crime-ridden that so many have guard dogs...
Lots of folks have dogs, but I'd say that very, very few have guard dogs.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:28 PM

165 posts, read 653,070 times
Smile answering quote

Quote:
Hello All -

Is FL, in general, that crime-ridden that so many have guard dogs, or mainly specific larger cities? Is it mainly folks with kids, so the dog is more of a family companion, or are you protecting yourself inside your homes?

Just curious... Baltic_Celt
Some people and businesses do use guard dogs for protection, but the vast majority just have ordinary dogs in the St. Petersburg area for companionship ---and the fact they bark. There are some "bad" areas where this may be more common, but that is found anywhere. I live in a working class area....and the people around here don't act the least bit scared. Nearby middle class area people seem relatively unconcerned. People do use alarms, especially in middle class neighborhoods, but the main reason to prevent being robbed, not so much personal safety. Many of our kids run around the house.....though it isn't like it used to when I was a kid in NJ. ....The amount of crime like everything is relative. But I personally don't find it much different than my area of NJ in the summer. (I want to compare warm weather to warm weather.)

Old 09-13-2006, 11:40 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,922 times
I think guard dogs are only good at guarding if they are inside your house. Here in the city, there are tons of backyard "guard" dogs (seems like every other house has one) and they bark at nothing, possums, each other, a twig falling and any good robber knows... the house is unguarded when the "guard" dog is out back! lol. My pits live inside with me as part of the family, so I'm safe at night and my house is safe during the day. Works like a charm

macguy - sorry but your trainer is a quack if he really told you that about pit bulls or are these just your assumptions? Pit Bulls are extremely intelligent and trainable. They are totally loyal and will defend you to the death against any threat. Ya know, a dog's obedience is only as good as his trainer's abilities. To say they can't even be taught to stay out of the street is complete hogwash. I see plenty of well trained Pits walking beside their owners, without any leash, right there next to the knee in perfect shadow fashion, all around these busy 6-lane streets of Tampa. Perfect obedience. Sorry, but you just are flat out incorrect.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:35 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,396 times
I wish all pit bull owners were like you, it breaks my heart when I see so many of these tethered in the back yard and barking at will, and often getting loose. These poor dogs have gotten a bad reputation because of the owners who bought them and think putting them in the back yard is all they need, no walks, no petting, no hugs, often no fresh water. I think if someone plans on getting a good guard dog look into a reputable place that trains them, often these dogs stay right in the house and noone would realize they are a guard dog unless needed.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 10,872 times
Anyone who tethers their dog unsupervised should be chained to a tree for the rest of their lives to see how it feels.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:06 AM

88 posts, read 413,859 times
Anyone know a good humane society to pick up a dog in PBC?

Old 09-14-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
macguy - sorry but your trainer is a quack if he really told you that about pit bulls or are these just your assumptions? Pit Bulls are extremely intelligent and trainable. They are totally loyal and will defend you to the death against any threat.
If someone attacks me within sight of my Pit, I'm screwed. The best I can hope for is some serious face licking and tail wagging while I'm getting mugged.

Quote:
To say they can't even be taught to stay out of the street is complete hogwash. I see plenty of well trained Pits walking beside their owners, without any leash, right there next to the knee in perfect shadow fashion, all around these busy 6-lane streets of Tampa. Perfect obedience. Sorry, but you just are flat out incorrect.
What kind of trainer says you can't train a dog to stay out of the street?

1. You should never walk any dog, no matter it's training level, without a leash inside city limits.

2. Moderator cut: Hostile language

If I wanted to, I could very well walk either of my dogs off leash, right at my side. Neither of my dogs, one Pit and one doberman will leave their proper spot whether I'm holdig the leash or not.

My Pit took some training to learn that he doesn't get to go up to every new person we meet and get pet and give kisses, but he's picking that up. And when we DO come across a person on our walks, all it takes is a word from me to keep his focus on his proper heeling.

I suggest you find a trainer. Moderator cut: Hostile Language

Old 09-14-2006, 11:26 AM

598 posts, read 2,268,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanFl View Post
Anyone who tethers their dog unsupervised should be chained to a tree for the rest of their lives to see how it feels.

I wholeheartedly agree with you!!

All our pits were "rescues", two of them being tethered and ignored, starved and without water (the owner thought a slimy, murky, green, mosquito infested bucket of "water" and a handful of chow once a week was good enough). Yeah nice neighbor... it was heartbreaking and had us in tears many times as the humane shelter would not do anything because they are Pits. Luckily we were able to get them from the scumbag. Now we feel good knowing they will have great, well-deserved love and food filled lives

Gosh I wish there were more people that treated their dogs like they should. Ya know, you wouldn't chain your 3 year old outside like that. Why your pup? They (all dogs) have a great need to be within a pack. It's how they are wired...

Old 09-14-2006, 12:34 PM

Summergal, I'm glad to hear you take care of your dogs like I take care of mine.

Our AmStaff died back in April and because the house just wasn't the same without him, we had to go out and get another. I don't normally get puppies, but we found a cute APBT through PetPal rescue here in St. Pete that we just couldn't say no to.

He's turned out to be as cuddly as my AmStaff was and fits right in with the family.

I'd say what should happen to the guy you got your dogs from, but apparently the moderator of this site feels my language is too hostile

A very frightening scenario is playing out on my street. I walk my dogs every day, twice a day 20-30 minutes per walk.

About 2 blocks down, one of the homeowners has a new, full grown Doberman that is tethered on the side of the house, no fence to keep him in, just a little rope on a clothesline.

Everytime I walk by with my dogs, the Dobie thrashes and snarles and does his best to try to break that line. Looking at it, I can say it's only a matter of time before he suceeds.

I'm not inherently afraid of Dobies (or any big dog for that matter) as one of my pups is a 3 1/2 year female Dobie. But it's just a matter of time before that pouder keg blows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida