Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 09:23 PM

10 posts, read 73,766 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have a Rottie/Doberman mix, 3 years old, named Rocko that I saved from the pound 3 years ago. He went from 35 pounds (around 4 months old) to now over 105 pounds.

He is a very good dog in the sense that he listens if you make sure he knows that you are the pack leader and do not give in to him when he tries to test you. He is an EXCELLENT guard dog.

The only bad things about Rocko is he hates moving things: skateboards, bicycles, cars, Harley motorcycles... and he does not realize his own strength. He has pinned down two of my younger cousins (2 years old and 8 years old) just to play. Today he chased a little girl on her bike and scared her to death. Once he got to her he stopped because he just didn't like her bike. When I take him on rides he tries to bite each vehicle we pass. I have taken him to the beach and had 4 kids pulling on his hair and ears and he didn't seem to mind at all...but I'm worried that the potential for a dangerous dog is there.

I am torn because I know I need to find him a better environment to live in. I live in a city with a fenced-in area that my dogs live in. They actually have their own little room on the second story of our garage, overlooking the yard. Rocko needs a home with plenty of room to run around and no children or other small pets. He has lived with my older Lab since we got him, but he plays too roughly with smaller dogs and HATES cats.

What is the best way to find a good home for him? Is there a Rottie Rescue program in NE FL? I would hate to place a newspaper ad and the wrong person get him...

Last edited by kristendunlap; 12-30-2006 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 09:45 PM

Default Picture of Rocko

Guard Dogs breeds in Florida-miscellaneous-116.jpg

This is Rocko. He is so cute...I really truly love him but I need to give him to someone who can give him a good life but doesn't have any kids or small animals around...

Old 12-30-2006, 09:49 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
www.rottrescue.org/national_list_rott_rescue.html (broken link)

Do you have to give him up? I would take him-we have a big yard; but shar-pei and an adult rottie may not mix.

sunny.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:26 PM

Unfortunately yes, we do need to get rid of him. I feel it is unfair to him and to the kids in our neighborhood. It's getting to be a constant worry that my family does not want to be under anymore.

I'm not sure how he would react to a new dog. As long as he is not in "his" territory he's usually fine with other dogs and people. I would like for him to have a fellow dog friend, he tortures my poor 12 year old lab. He always wants to play and she just glares at him and won't budge. But, he is very strong. So, he would need a dog that can put him in his place or be able to handle the constant bugging.

He is great with the vet. I think because he's terrified to go there. He will just sit on the table and let them take blood or give him shots like nothing's going on.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:59 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
I'm surprised no one has brought up the issue of homeowners insurance and dogs. Many companies won't insure you if you have certain breeds of dogs. I had to change companies because one of my charming mix breeds was part shepherd.

There is plenty of info on this situation and may be of more impact to many families than the other increases in insurance costs.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Last edited by ellie; 01-01-2007 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-11-2007, 08:05 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,619 times
Alot of people might jump on me for saing this but.. I am from Jacksonville and right now I kind of live in between north east FL and central FL (we are trying to get back to jacksonville thought) and we have 2 american pit bull terriers. They do well in the heat and they can be trained to be great gaurd dogs. Alot of people think they arent good dogs because they always hear all of these horror stories, but the truth is most of those dogs were abused or trained to be vicous. Tests, statistics and the facts show that american pit bull terriers (and the other 2 breeds that people call "pit bulls") are great family companions. They always test way above most popular family breeds in temprament tests and they are very smart! They can be animal agressive but MOST of them are not people agressive unless trained to be that way. They have an uncanny ability to tell when someone or something is really a threat or not and they are very obidiant and devoted! They can make great gaurd dogs, (they need to be trained to be gaurd dogs because most of them love people.. lol) simply because alot of people arent very educated about them and they tend to believe all of the myths and false stories they hear in the media and from other people... so they are scared of them whether they are really mean or not. Like with any breed they must be properly trained and socalized and they should never be left alone with children.... American Pit Bull Terreirs need a strong "pack leader" because they tend to be somewhat stubborn at times, and they need alot of exersize. Also, an APBT probably wouldnt do to good as just an outside dog or if they are going to be left alone for long periods of time because they get very attached to their families and need alot of love!.. But as far as a gaurd dog I would say that they can be great but they also really need to be a family companion at the same time.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:22 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I'm surprised no one has brought up the issue of homeowners insurance and dogs. Many companies won't insure you if you have certain breeds of dogs. I had to change companies because one of my charming mix breeds was part shepherd.

There is plenty of info on this situation and may be of more impact to many families than the other increases in insurance costs.

Has anyone else dealt with this?
Yes. Our insurance underwriter would not write a policy if we owned any of the dogs on the "bad dog" list: German Shepards, Rottweilers, Chows, Pit Bulls or Dobermans. (And due to the age of our house, we were having enough trouble getting anyone to insure us without the dog issue.) I'm sure it's based on some sort of statistic, but nevertheless.....Instead of one of my brother's pure-bred shepard's puppies, we have mixed breed terriers from the shelter.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:02 AM

45 posts, read 305,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Alot of people might jump on me for saing this but.. I am from Jacksonville and right now I kind of live in between north east FL and central FL (we are trying to get back to jacksonville thought) and we have 2 american pit bull terriers. They do well in the heat and they can be trained to be great gaurd dogs. Alot of people think they arent good dogs because they always hear all of these horror stories, but the truth is most of those dogs were abused or trained to be vicous. Tests, statistics and the facts show that american pit bull terriers (and the other 2 breeds that people call "pit bulls") are great family companions. They always test way above most popular family breeds in temprament tests and they are very smart! They can be animal agressive but MOST of them are not people agressive unless trained to be that way. They have an uncanny ability to tell when someone or something is really a threat or not and they are very obidiant and devoted! They can make great gaurd dogs, (they need to be trained to be gaurd dogs because most of them love people.. lol) simply because alot of people arent very educated about them and they tend to believe all of the myths and false stories they hear in the media and from other people... so they are scared of them whether they are really mean or not. Like with any breed they must be properly trained and socalized and they should never be left alone with children.... American Pit Bull Terreirs need a strong "pack leader" because they tend to be somewhat stubborn at times, and they need alot of exersize. Also, an APBT probably wouldnt do to good as just an outside dog or if they are going to be left alone for long periods of time because they get very attached to their families and need alot of love!.. But as far as a gaurd dog I would say that they can be great but they also really need to be a family companion at the same time.
American Pit Bull Terreirs are impossible to get Home owners insurance, most places won't even rent with them. I have 2 Boxers and I was still questioned by the agent. Boxers are great guard dogs, have a great temperment, are great with kids, great with other dogs and cats and they look mean and the best thing is Boxers are not on the bad dog list.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:45 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
Default It's Breed Discrimination....plain and simple

It's a terrible reality, but yes, homeowner's insurance needs to be considered in regards to the original poster's query.

The list of dog breeds being discriminated against is growing. Shar Peis are even being added to the list with some insurers because of their history as a fight breed...yeah, the cute little wrinkly guys !

As I know it, these are some of the breeds that insurers are taking issue with:

German Shepards
Akitas
Bully breeds (Pit Bulls, BullMastiffs, Bull Terriers....)
Dalmations (yes!)
Dobermans
Chow Chows
Shar Peis

I'm sure there are more that I'm just forgetting right now.

I tried to fight it when the issue came up over my dogs - I said "they're mutts, I don't know who their parents were", but my insurance agent told me he had to put down actual breed names, that "mutt" would not suffice. So I made up breed names that they resemble and that I knew would not be on the list.

I'd prefer to pay a slightly higher premium for having dogs on the premises - no matter what their breed - but the insurance companies know they have the upper hand....if you have a mortgage, you have to have insurance.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:46 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
I just have to add that I hate the term "bad dog" list because it's not the dogs who are bad......it's the insurers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida