Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 09:16 AM

389 posts, read 692,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I have wanted to ask this for a while, but held back because I figured the answer would come in the other mens shorts threads. While the trend has been for men to wear long, baggy shorts to the knee and below, I have felt more comfortable in mid-thigh length or slightly longer shorts, but above the knee. I am NOT talking about upper thigh length. I have read several things online about men who choose to wear shorter shorts and the constant harassment they face for doing so, from people laughing to making comments to even taking pictures and posting them online. In most of the posts I have read the person claimed that it was a young female making fun of them. In my personal experience, I have overheard rude comments made from one person to another and have had people giggle. I would say that with 1 exception, the people were all female and usually late teens to about 30. I don't mean to bring race into it, but most have been Hispanic and Black females. Some of the posters on the sites that I read stated that also. The incident that took place today is what inspired me to ask this question. It was very warm today where I am, so I decided to wear mid-thigh shorts. I noticed in the parking lot of a business that a young woman was looking at me and when I was walking back into the store, I turned around and there she had her phone, turned sideways, up to eye level and taking a picture of me. I ask for respectful replies only, but unless I am mistaken, why is it that a lot of women have a real problem with men wearing regular shorts. Notice I didn't say all women because I know that it is certainly not the case.
girl legs = pretty and sexy
guy legs = definitely not pretty and sexy, plus we don't want to see...anything...hanging out the sides of them (not that I speak from experience )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Perhaps it's the outdoor lifestyle associated with Colorado, but my husband has been wearing Patagonia stand-up hiking shorts, which hit well above the knee, for the last twenty years at least, and he's never been ridiculed for it.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:09 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Perhaps it's the outdoor lifestyle associated with Colorado, but my husband has been wearing Patagonia stand-up hiking shorts, which hit well above the knee, for the last twenty years at least, and he's never been ridiculed for it.
The long, baggy shorts make little sense for any real physical activity. I plan to get rid of my long baggy gym shorts and replace them with shorter ones with a closer cut.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
guy legs = definitely not pretty and sexy, plus we don't want to see...anything...hanging out the sides of them (not that I speak from experience )
This sounds strange coming from a woman. I often hear from women that I have very nice legs. I've never really gotten the sense that most women don't appreciate male legs.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:19 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
Girl legs: shaved, moisturised, often with fake tan.
Guys legs: au naturale

Plus why should your balls be hanging out? Even if a guy wears shorts that show off most of the thighs his balls aren't going to 'hang from the side of them'. What about all the girls who wear 'shorts' that basically expose their labia? Plus who wants to see all those girls with huge cellulite-ridden legs wearing short shorts? No thanks.

What is it you find so objectionable about male legs? Hair? Is it hair that scares you? What if women didn't shave...What if men shaved? Would that be more acceptable to you?

Old 01-19-2014, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
This sounds strange coming from a woman. I often hear from women that I have very nice legs. I've never really gotten the sense that most women don't appreciate male legs.
Good to hear, I think women need to re-learn how to appreciate men with good legs, and men need to start showing them off. As a straight male I find it peculiar how legs have been associated with females simply because you have girls always walking around showing thigh, while male thighs remain hidden. Can anyone give any logical reason why this should be so?

Old 01-19-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Good to hear, I think women need to re-learn how to appreciate men with good legs, and men need to start showing them off. As a straight male I find it peculiar how legs have been associated with females simply because you have girls always walking around showing thigh, while male thighs remain hidden. Can anyone give any logical reason why this should be so?
I totally agree. I don't think there's anything wrong with a guy showing off his legs and I think plenty of women like male legs, as they should. The idea that a guy's private parts might be hanging down if the shorts don't go at least to the knees is one of e most ludicrous things I have ever heard. People really need to start thinking for themselves using logic rather than getting caught up in distorted thinking like that. There's a very strange and harmful puritanical streak in our society.

Last edited by dazzleman; 01-19-2014 at 06:03 AM..

Old 01-19-2014, 06:14 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Girl legs: shaved, moisturised, often with fake tan.
Guys legs: au naturale

Plus why should your balls be hanging out? Even if a guy wears shorts that show off most of the thighs his balls aren't going to 'hang from the side of them'. What about all the girls who wear 'shorts' that basically expose their labia? Plus who wants to see all those girls with huge cellulite-ridden legs wearing short shorts? No thanks.

What is it you find so objectionable about male legs? Hair? Is it hair that scares you? What if women didn't shave...What if men shaved? Would that be more acceptable to you?
Good question.

Young women nowadays seem to be turned off by men with body hair.....they have them shaving their chests and privates.

If men wearing mid thigh length shorts is "gay".......what the hell would you call men shaving the hair on their chests and privates.....so they look like prepubescent boys?

Can't get more "gay" than that, IMO.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I totally agree. I don't think there's anything wrong with a guy showing off his legs and I think plenty of women like male legs, as they should. The idea that a guy's private parts might be hanging down if the shorts don't go at least to the knees is one of e most ludicrous things I have ever heard. People really need to start thinking for themselves using logic rather than getting caught up in distorted thinking like that. There's a very strange and harmful puritanical streak in our society.
Yes, or even male private parts. Why should it turn off women?

The fact is, one that is seldom even noticed, is the male form is STILL not eroticised to the same extent as the female. Maybe it's partly because women aren't as 'visual' and partly because men aren't the 'object of sexual desire' so much, since in a way it is still the male who f**ks the female. I feel the imbalance is ludicrous at times and has even led to some women becoming confused about their sexuality due to the male POV.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Good question.

Young women nowadays seem to be turned off by men with body hair.....they have them shaving their chests and privates.

If men wearing mid thigh length shorts is "gay".......what the hell would you call men shaving the hair on their chests and privates.....so they look like prepubescent boys?

Can't get more "gay" than that, IMO.
Yeah exactly...shaving chests is okay but not legs? It's just whatever is conventionally accepted.

There are some who think women shaving their public region is unnatural and makes them look like little girls. But is not shaving legs/armpits also making one look like a child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty