Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:41 PM

732 posts, read 968,128 times

Advertisements

Is it considered effeminate for men to carry tote bags or does it depend on the kind of tote bag? The reason I'm asking is because several weeks ago a couple of cops were laughing & pointing at me, but I didn't give it much thought about what they found amusing until now. I'm wondering if it was about the tote bag I was carrying?

A lot of male & female cyclists here where I live carry tote bags, but they're usually the kind that have a shoulder strap that's longer than the handles whereas the tote bag I sometimes carry is a large canvas shopping or beach bag type of tote bag with long handles.

I don't see much difference between tote bags, a big tote bag is a big tote bag to me, and it's not as if the bag was pink or had a big flower on it.

Could the cops have been laughing about the bag? I can't think of anything else they could have found funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 05:41 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Why worry about it? If you have things to carry and prefer to use a tote bag, do so. No reason to let a couple random people affect your self confidence.

Oh, and no, it is not effeminate to have a tote bag (despite the "man show" style adolescent jokes some people make about man purses).

Old 12-15-2014, 05:44 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
only jack bauer can pull that one off

in the real world its a feminine trait

man bag and murses are in the same category as russell brand skinny jeans

Old 12-15-2014, 06:07 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
the only guys who would typically view a men's leather or canvas tote bag as effeminate are overly worried about appearing manly themselves so don't worry about it. I have a nice leather messenger that works as a briefcase during the week and a more casual laptop bag on the weekends and traveling. I really don't care if any guys thing it's effeminate as it is functional, I think it is stylish, and I also get lots of compliments on it.

Who cares what they thought OP.

Last edited by Sunbather; 12-15-2014 at 06:17 AM..

Old 12-15-2014, 06:21 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
As long as it's not flowered or covered with a cute theme (kitty cats, cartoon characters, etc.) you might be alright, I guess.

Me, I'd go with a backpack if I had to but I really don't leave the house with anything more than a wallet and keys.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:27 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
As long as it's not flowered or covered with a cute theme (kitty cats, cartoon characters, etc.) you might be alright, I guess.

Me, I'd go with a backpack if I had to but I really don't leave the house with anything more than a wallet and keys.
for every day use, I don't either. A very thin wallet and keys is what I typically bring out if I am leaving the house for leisure. However, for work (engineering) I bring a laptop back and forth as well as some drawings or other documents. And for my hobbies outside of work (in this case mainly photography and interior design) I sometimes will bring my laptop out with me to get out of the house while 'working' on these projects and I might go to a park or coffee shop. Having a nice bag like this is useful for that. I used to use a laptop but I find the messenger more functional and versatile.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:26 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
It's a bag. To carry stuff. Men (and women) have needed to carry stuff since the invention of the most basic tools.

Find one that suits your personal style (be it ultra-masculine, suave, or effeminate) and enjoy not having to carry your laptop, umbrella, lunch, and thermos in your hands, because that could really make you look silly.

I can't tell you how many men I see commuting with some kind of satchel, messenger bag, or whatever in my city. It's common anywhere that a sizable fraction of the workforce doesn't commute by car.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:42 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
"Tote bag" is a pretty broad term. It's impossible to say without seeing the particular bag in question. If it bothers you so much, get a simple black messenger bag or backpack. They're fairly unisex, and (IMO) easier to carry than a short handled tote.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:30 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Oh God, here is another one of those retarded threads about what a "man" can have.

it is the year 2104, are you kidding me?

Old 12-15-2014, 11:40 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
I personally leave the handbags and purses to the women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty