Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 12:33 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Oh God, here is another one of those retarded threads about what a "man" can have.

it is the year 2104, are you kidding me?
Quoted for truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 01:12 PM

49 posts, read 68,877 times
I don't see what's wrong with carrying a tote bag as a guy. You need something to hold your items in and it works. If this was Europe, OP wouldn't have thought twice about this.

It's the year 2104?

Old 12-15-2014, 05:31 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,791 times
What exactly is a male tote bag? Is that like a fanny pack? because if it is it's not cool.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:43 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
I prefer NOT to see men carry "tote" bags.. Women carry the bags.. men have always either carried what they needed in their pockets or in a briefcase....

Old 12-15-2014, 05:46 PM

99,555 posts, read 4,491,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
Is it considered effeminate for men to carry tote bags or does it depend on the kind of tote bag? The reason I'm asking is because several weeks ago a couple of cops were laughing & pointing at me, but I didn't give it much thought about what they found amusing until now. I'm wondering if it was about the tote bag I was carrying?

A lot of male & female cyclists here where I live carry tote bags, but they're usually the kind that have a shoulder strap that's longer than the handles whereas the tote bag I sometimes carry is a large canvas shopping or beach bag type of tote bag with long handles.

I don't see much difference between tote bags, a big tote bag is a big tote bag to me, and it's not as if the bag was pink or had a big flower on it.

Could the cops have been laughing about the bag? I can't think of anything else they could have found funny.
Really? This is San Francisco. Nobody cares about the tote bag you are carrying.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:12 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
The cycling shoulder bags are really backpacks, they have just as much interior capacity.

Anything smaller than that is for girls.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:13 PM

348 posts, read 327,480 times
Quote:
Is it considered effeminate for men to carry tote bags or does it depend on the kind of tote bag? The reason I'm asking is because several weeks ago a couple of cops were laughing & pointing at me, but I didn't give it much thought about what they found amusing until now. I'm wondering if it was about the tote bag I was carrying?

A lot of male & female cyclists here where I live carry tote bags, but they're usually the kind that have a shoulder strap that's longer than the handles whereas the tote bag I sometimes carry is a large canvas shopping or beach bag type of tote bag with long handles.

I don't see much difference between tote bags, a big tote bag is a big tote bag to me, and it's not as if the bag was pink or had a big flower on it.

Could the cops have been laughing about the bag? I can't think of anything else they could have found funny.
I have a man purse too bro.....nobody ever laughs. I'm not the only one to use one when I need it.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:39 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Depends on what the bag looks like....do you really mean a "tote bag" that goes over the shoulder? I'd be more in favor of a mini-backpack or kind of a sling that goes over your head and across your chest. I think it's a far better look than having all your pockets stuffed an bulging with stuff. It's not unusual to carry a tablet, or even with phone, wallet, keys, etc. it adds up - so go for it!

Old 12-15-2014, 09:49 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:

Just forget about them. This whole charade about what's manly and what's not is nonsense. Bet you if some celebrities were to wear it, they'd wear it too. Our society can be so laughable sometimes. You should be glad you're comfortable with yourself and are not afraid to don a tote. A lot of men tend to be cowards when it comes to this kind of thing. Bet you behind closed doors you'd see a different side of them.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:10 AM

555 posts, read 804,309 times
I'm guessing you probably have a smart phone/tablet/lap top/tech gizmos you have to carry, your wallet, keys, maybe sunglasses, maybe a reusable bottle (for water, coffee, etc.) and/or tupperware (for leftovers) if you're environmentally conscious, maybe even a change of clothes if you bike to work, are heading to the gym, etc. Well, you can't carry all that in your pants pocket, can you? Even if you wear cargo pants, you'd be hard pressed to carry all that (expensive) stuff in a secure manner in your pants or even jacket pockets, assuming it's cool enough to wear a jacket that day.

In the past, I've noticed men carried their stuff in their pants pockets (and jacket, if they were wearing one). If they had stuff that could not fit, it's been my observation they simply give it to their female companion (assuming she exists) to carry in her handbag. Don't leave women holding the bag, yah? ;-) Man up: Lug your stuff in the bag of your choice with pride and ignore what you think others might be saying. Security of your stuff and ease of transport should be your top concerns. Idle talk is easier to deal with than a lost or stolen smart phone/tablet/laptop/etc. or worrying all those things are gonna fall out of your pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty