Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:16 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Sounds like you're ready for a nuclear attack!
One has to be prepared. Early this year I was caught in a flood, had to leave my car and walk a few miles until someone was able to pick me up. That was a 7 hour commute home, I had food, batteries for the phone and a rain jacket. I was inconvenienced but other than that no big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 10:13 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,529 times
I think the cops were laughing at something else.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:04 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,648,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Who carries a iPhone, iPad, AND iPod? Most guys I know carry a wallet, keys, and phone. That's it.

then you must not know that many guys.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:09 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Eh, I live near NYC and MANY guys carry messenger type bags which are functionally equivalent to purses. My brother favors timbuk3 as it works well when he is riding his motorcycle. I do a lot of field work as part of my job and see guys who carry bags all the time. The salty tough guy captain of our boat has a bag he brings with him to the boat everyday. It holds his phone, some drinks, his wallet, knife, first aid kit, etc basically everything that would be annoying to carry around when crewing a work boat.

I think it is silly that we have decided that needing to store items in a bag is related to gender. Get over it already.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:27 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Keys
Phone
flashlight and spare batteries
knife
firearm and spare mags
extra contact lenses
contact lense solution
Kindle
Charger for phone and kindle
emergency charger for phone and kindle
first aid kit
emergency blanket
thermos
hat and gloves (winter)
energy bars
rain jacket (spring/fall)

Working 36 miles from home I need to carry more than just keys, wallet and phone. Also since I work in an office I have to carry something "sheeple" friendly since a tactical type pack draws too much attention.
Are you actually saying you carry these things on your person each day? Or that they are stashed in your vehicle? First aid kit and emergency blanket? Flashlight & spare batteries? Emergency charger for your Kindle?

Last edited by rugrats2001; 12-16-2014 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 12-16-2014, 06:39 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Are you actually saying you carry these things on your person each day? Or that they are stashed in your vehicle? First aid kit and emergency blanket? Flashlight & spare batteries? Emergency charger for your Kindle?
Everyday ....

Old 12-16-2014, 09:06 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
One has to be prepared. Early this year I was caught in a flood, had to leave my car and walk a few miles until someone was able to pick me up. That was a 7 hour commute home, I had food, batteries for the phone and a rain jacket. I was inconvenienced but other than that no big deal.
Where are you located?

Old 12-17-2014, 12:34 AM

732 posts, read 968,982 times
I'm surprised at how many replies this thread got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Why worry about it? If you have things to carry and prefer to use a tote bag, do so. No reason to let a couple random people affect your self confidence.

Oh, and no, it is not effeminate to have a tote bag (despite the "man show" style adolescent jokes some people make about man purses).
I'm not really worried about it, I was just curious of what those cops might have found funny about me, and the only thing I could think of when I created the thread was the tote bag I was carrying.

They didn't affect my self-confidence, and I'm going to continue to carry the tote bag when I have a lot to carry, especially for grocery shopping, but I've already been thinking of sometime getting one of those messenger type bags or a backpack to use when cycling because the tote bag tends to slide off my back & shoulder a lot while cycling. I have a backpack, but it doesn't hold as much volume of stuff.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Eh, I live near NYC and MANY guys carry messenger type bags which are functionally equivalent to purses. My brother favors timbuk3 as it works well when he is riding his motorcycle. I do a lot of field work as part of my job and see guys who carry bags all the time. The salty tough guy captain of our boat has a bag he brings with him to the boat everyday. It holds his phone, some drinks, his wallet, knife, first aid kit, etc basically everything that would be annoying to carry around when crewing a work boat.

I think it is silly that we have decided that needing to store items in a bag is related to gender. Get over it already.
I also think it's silly.

I'm glad a lot of men in large metropolitan places are grown up & secure about carrying bags.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
I think the cops were laughing at something else.
Possibly, but I can't think of what. My bike helmet looks like any other, so I doubt it was that. Maybe the cops were just stoned since it was on a Saturday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty