Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:17 AM

732 posts, read 970,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I carry a "satchel" or messenger bag with me daily. Sure I've heard the whole "man purse" thing but don't really care.

As far as a "tote" bag , I don't think that is the what most men would want to carry it seems more like a womans bag.

Bexar Goods Co :: Texas Makers of Durable Goods — Mustang Carry

This seems much more manly
Chicago

This is what I carry, large in dark coffee brown
Saddleback Leather Co.
The style you linked to at the Bexar site is the kind of tote bag I was carrying except it's made of canvas, is larger, and is khaki-beige.

Those other bags look good, but I wouldn't want one only because they're made of leather and too expensive (vegan and cheap).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 07:07 AM

29,611 posts, read 14,753,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Where are you located?
Metro Detroit

Old 04-02-2015, 07:31 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,544,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I carry a "satchel" or messenger bag with me daily. Sure I've heard the whole "man purse" thing but don't really care.

As far as a "tote" bag , I don't think that is the what most men would want to carry it seems more like a womans bag.

Bexar Goods Co :: Texas Makers of Durable Goods — Mustang Carry

This seems much more manly
Chicago

This is what I carry, large in dark coffee brown
Saddleback Leather Co.
2nd and 3rd selections for men: nice

1st one: I wouldn't laugh, but it looks like a tote bag. when i see tote bag i see females headed for the beach (like the pic above), or old ladies toting groceries. I don't care how "cool" or "hipster-ish" the material is.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:15 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,773,133 times
For urban guys who go everywhere using subways and not driving cars, this is ubiquity. You should know that.
The reason being when you drive a car, you can put all your junks in the car. But if you are taking public transportation and / or riding bike, where else to put your gym towel, extr pair of sneakers for work out and so on?
It is normal to carry totes for men in Asia and Europe. It is just in the US, where some men in usually more remote areas and afraid they would look feminine, they think it is girly.

Maybe you can also laugh at how fat this cops are.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:51 AM

22 posts, read 18,657 times
I like your idea about Men with tote bags. It is a fashion still following by many. The bags are made of sturdy cloth, thick leather at its handles or bottom, pebbled surface. Common fabrics are also used. It is portable and carried with necessary things.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:36 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,619,863 times
I use an army surplus khaki shoulder bag bought for a few pounds off a stall in a market.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 10,131 times
I know this thread has gone quiet for a bit but I just had to say something.

I find it ridiculous that people make fun of men with bags. What are we expected to do? Carry all of our stuff in our hands? Women aren't the only ones who need to carry things. There are many men who are fathers that need diaper bags. You got your diabetics and other medical patients who have their equipment to carry around. Then there's businessmen who have their laptops and documents (including real estate agents). Don't forget your photographers and gamers. Not to mention the construction guys who have tools.

I use a Man-PACK myself. It's pretty comfortable, fits all my stuff and I don't have to take it off to get my stuff. It's got this military design to it and I believe it was designed by a veteran. The model I bought was the Man-PACK Classic 2.0 XL so that I could put my laptop in there. Fits my wallet, keys, water bottle on the side pocket, business cards, books, iPad... Comes in real handy! And no one has made fun of me for having it.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:30 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,977,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAmpa View Post
I know this thread has gone quiet for a bit but I just had to say something.

I find it ridiculous that people make fun of men with bags. What are we expected to do? Carry all of our stuff in our hands? Women aren't the only ones who need to carry things. There are many men who are fathers that need diaper bags. You got your diabetics and other medical patients who have their equipment to carry around. Then there's businessmen who have their laptops and documents (including real estate agents). Don't forget your photographers and gamers. Not to mention the construction guys who have tools.

I use a Man-PACK myself. It's pretty comfortable, fits all my stuff and I don't have to take it off to get my stuff. It's got this military design to it and I believe it was designed by a veteran. The model I bought was the Man-PACK Classic 2.0 XL so that I could put my laptop in there. Fits my wallet, keys, water bottle on the side pocket, business cards, books, iPad... Comes in real handy! And no one has made fun of me for having it.
As mentioned above, I think you will only ever encounter this attitude in places where nobody walks or takes public transit. People's cars just become a "purse on wheels".

Go to any big city where people are on the subway, buses, rail, walking around, and you will see men all over the place with satchels, messenger bags, backpacks- you name it.

If someone is making fun, odds are they haven't seen much of the world.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:41 PM

5 posts, read 10,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Go to any big city where people are on the subway, buses, rail, walking around, and you will see men all over the place with satchels, messenger bags, backpacks- you name it.

Amen to that. I think many of the naysayers don't leave their house and interact with very many human beings much.

I've got a friend who runs lights and djs and he needs bags to carry his laptops and controllers.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,864,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
As mentioned above, I think you will only ever encounter this attitude in places where nobody walks or takes public transit. People's cars just become a "purse on wheels".

I think people are making fun of the feminine qualities of some of the bags, not the fact guys have to carry a bag with them. Men have been carrying things with them in bags for basically forever, nothing new, but the feminine design perception of some of these bags is what is getting made fun of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty