Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:01 AM

16,551 posts, read 8,589,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
I am not sure about the neighborhoods for I never lived in some of the ones you describe. But I can say for a fact that women truly appreciate the fitted/tailored look on men, rather than loose.

I put a pic up in my album where I have brooks brothers shorts which end a few centimetres over the knee. It's got pineapples embroidered in them

Shorts should end at the right spot or they look really awkward and old men wear that. It's also a sign of being fashionably challenged. But nothing wrong in wearing them though. Also, when shorts are on, socks should not be visible. It's more awful when dudes have loose over the knees shorts and have socks popping out of the shoes and worse, going all the way up the ankles
I do not mean any personal offense, but you sound like a very young guy to get caught up so much with fashion and what others think about your appearance. Granted we do not want people looking like slobs if we can help it within our own family and circle of friends. However the specificity of needed conformity with regards to sock height is way over the top.

Sure knee high socks have been out of style for some time now, but this need to keep socks below the sneaker line is just the opposite of what some rant about here. The only guys who had the sockless look with shorts were guys wearing Dockers (above the knee) and not wearing any socks with boat shoes, which I think might be called top siders? The only people wearing really short socks below the sneaker line were women, typically while wearing tennis sneakers. To keep them from sliding down too much, many had little fluff balls on the back.
If a guy wants to go for the Don Johnson look he shouldn't wear socks at all, but trying to thread the needle and wear low socks without them showing, seems like a lot of effort for a guy just to wear socks.

Anyway, wearing white crew high socks were always considered athletic looking. Then a strange thing happened when guys in the NBA started wearing black crew high socks. It used to mean you were a dork wearing what were essentially black or colored dress socks when playing a sport. Picture a guy with glasses and a pocket protector at PE wearing dress socks. Yet somehow it became fashionable with a certain segment of the population. Then the height of the socks went down to the sneaker itself.

Now I have no clue if it is still in fashion, nor do I care because I am a guy, not a gal. I don't get manicures, nor do I spend time in the mirror other than to brush my teeth and hair. The only advantage I see for wearing baggy pants/clothes is it makes it easier for concealed carry (i.e. not printing). Other than that, I couldn't care less why others wear what they do, nor what they think of me because they can see my legs. I am not sure why guys would be looking at my legs anyway, nor do I want to know.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:09 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,034 times
Dude, spare me. Things I post are relevant to the fashion board. If you don't like it, don't shop. Money left in the bank is good.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:07 AM

693 posts, read 1,137,860 times
All my shorts are above the knee. I am happy to be moving to Florida where I can wear them near year round.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:12 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
There are two Americas, now. In White, Middle-to-Upper-Class America, shorts above the knee are perfectly acceptable. Colors in menswear are acceptable. Well-fitted clothes are acceptable. In fact, the trend among the higher classes of athletic young white guys is for shorter shorts. It sets them apart from "thuggish" guys.

For the "others" (people in bad neighborhoods, or people who belong in bad neighborhoods), long shorts, shapeless clothing, and colorless grey/black clothing seems to reflect fearfulness and insecurity. All of the current Body Image hyper-insecurity in lower class males (including the white ones) is symptomatic of deteriorating social conditions and changing demographics in America.

Believe me: if there's truly a "majority" of young women where you live, who disapprove of above-the-knee shorts, they're the kind of women whose brothers think it's cool to push dogs into the street, to be run-over. In other words, you need a change of address, not a change in your clothing. And by "young", are you thinking in terms of still in highschool? Highschool girls live in extremely small worlds, totally ruled by conformity. Their opinions are utterly valueless. Just comfort yourself with the sure knowledge that those little skanks will soon be on welfare, and ballooning to two and three hundred pounds - within the next decade. It's amazing how quickly women like that become unattractive and over-the-hill. Fried food and sugary sodas will make their skin bad. They'll be so ugly and pitiful and unwanted... Let them have their little laughs while they can. Very soon, they'll know nothing but sadness and desperation.

Grandview Gloria, thanks for the rep comment. Now, I will only try to sue her if I find my picture posted on the internet and referenced in a negative manner. I know that realistically, the chances of that happening are extremely slim. I imagine the picture will get posted on her Facebook or other social media page, where only her "friends" will be able to see it. I can almost bet that I know nobody in her network. Also, the shorts I was wearing were mid-thigh length, not daisy dukes. I just made that statement because on a blog on this topic, 2 guys said that they found unauthorized pictures of themselves online and they were being made fun of. I almost confronted the woman yesterday, but decided not to waste my time. When I say young, I mean older than high school - more like very late teens to about 30 years old or so. The woman yesterday was a black woman, I'd say in her mid to late 20s. Again, not to bring race into it, but I have only noticed reactions from black and hispanic women, and one time, a group of younger white guys. Until yesterday, it was nothing but brief laughter or me overhearing comments I was not meant to hear.
What is ironic about the whole thing is that I see the mid-thigh look coming back, especially in bigger cities and among younger, mostly white males. I remember over the summer attending a baseball game in one of this country's larger cities and a young, early 20s guy, was wearing shorter than mid-thigh shorts. Nobody of any gender or ethnicity seemed to care and most people sitting in the area were in the age group I'm talking about.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:10 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
...replies only, but unless I am mistaken, why is it that a lot of women have a real problem with men wearing regular shorts. Notice I didn't say all women because I know that it is certainly not the case.
*shrug* shorty shorts must have seemed like a good idea in the 80s but we thankfully changed our mind about that

I personally never wear shorts except when I'm on a sports court.

I noticed that during the summer here, men of immigrant background do not wear shorts at all.
I've seen black men wearing shorts but they were native born black men, not immigrant ones.

I was on a caribbean island not too long ago and was surprised to see that men
simply did not wear shorts. The only shorts wearing men were tourists or other foreigners.

I have a feeling that in latin america and in the caribbean, wearing shorts is appropriate only
for children and the extremely destitute.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:17 PM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Glad you brought up body hair, Victor.

What is it with men shaving off all their body hair nowadays?

How feminizing and gay is that?
I'm so glad that my chest and back are naturally hairless.
I'd so much hate to look like some bear
I don't shave my legs though. There's a bit of hair on them but not too much.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I'm that old LOL.
So why are you fretting about this nonsense? Nobody cares, but you. Nobody on city-data can possibly have an informed opinion about you and the length of your freaking shorts. Nobody's opinion matters, but yours. So what are you really asking? Are you looking for permission to wear above-the-thigh shorts, or what?
Are you having a bad day? What an aggressive post

Obviously other people *do* care about his shorts, because someone thought it hilarious enough to photograph him without his permission. If people starting doing the same to you with the intent to ridicule you online, I wouldn't be surprised if you started asking people if your clothes were silly looking too.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:44 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
I live in Arizona so I see shorts all year every day. You want to wear them, gentlemen, it's your business. But please be aware it does inspire assumptions on the part of the viewer. For example, if I see you out and about constantly in shorts in public places that are not associated with recreation I assume that you are not not a serious adult. I think you might be retired if you are of a certain age or just unable to let go of your youth if you are a bit younger. Unless the shorts are greyish-blue, in which case I wonder if you are a mailman (or a park ranger if your shorts are khaki). If I see you in shorts in inappropriate places (like church or nice social events), I assume you are snubbing your nose at your surroundings in an immature way. I think that's also true of women who dress in "barely there" outfits in places where something more covered-up is called for (office, school, community meetings, church, etc.) I assume those women are more interested in drawing attention to themselves than they are in participating seriously in the event they are attending. The VAST majority of places in Arizona (even churches, schools, shops, etc.) are all air-conditioned, so the heat is no excuse.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:07 PM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I live in Arizona so I see shorts all year every day. You want to wear them, gentlemen, it's your business. ....
It seems to me that when everyone does something it stops telling you much about a particular person.

In some countries, wearing jeans is an actual statement.
Wearing jeans obviously isn't any kind of statement in the United States or Canada.

Wearing shorts everywhere in NYC or in Toronto probably says something about the wearer.
If almost everybody wears them in AZ then it starts to lose meaning doesn't it ?

Old 11-11-2013, 08:24 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
if I see you out and about constantly in shorts in public places that are not associated with recreation I assume that you are not not a serious adult. I think you might be retired if you are of a certain age or just unable to let go of your youth if you are a bit younger. Unless the shorts are greyish-blue, in which case I wonder if you are a mailman (or a park ranger if your shorts are khaki). If I see you in shorts in inappropriate places (like church or nice social events), I assume you are snubbing your nose at your surroundings in an immature way.
Wow, you sure are judgmental. Some of us would rather be comfortable than worry about impressing shallow strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty