Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 05:14 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were driving to our next RV park here in the Catskills, and I saw a hand-painted sign: "Red Pit Bull Puppies for Sale" and the phone number.

My first inclination was to call them, and try to help them understand that this breed is already way, way over-represented in Animal Shelters, and if they wanted to support the breed, adopt. Of course, I immediately realized that would be stupid. (My first ideas usually are, darn it.)

Anyway, my question is, what SHOULD one do, when one sees such a sign. Obviously, the person hasn't been enlightened, and I wouldn't want to alienate them by being presumptuous, but then I don't want to read more sad stories about pits, either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 06:52 AM

314 posts, read 1,104,910 times
It s wonderful that you care enough to want to stop, but I really doubt you will get quite the result you hope for. One person's attempt to enlighten can be seen by the enlightenee as an intrusive, unwanted attempt at proselytizing. Did you ever have Jehovah's Witnesses show up on your doorstep? Same thing.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:04 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
I agree, it woudln't have done any good. People like that are too dense to see reality. They never visit shelters and think that as long as they know a couple people that want a puppy, they've got good enough reason to breed. And hey - added bonus - it'll make them a few bucks.

Nothing you can do in situations like that other than shake your head and know that the moron that put up the sign just made life more difficult for many of us out there, all in the name of a few hundred dollars.

My solution is to talk to as many people as I can. Get the facts out there somehow. Every now and then you find someone that listens and a light goes off and you know you've helped a little. Honestly, I've given up hopes on most adults. I think change will come from the kids. I have all my hope and prayers in them.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:24 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,164 times
I had a similar frustration today.

I was in the vet's lobby, and a woman with an 8 week old black lab came in, talking about first shots and such. The tech asked about spaying, and she said "no, we're going to breed her".

The tech asked her to spay after a litter, and listed some health reasons. After a min to get my courage up, I said "you know, our state euthanizes 32THOUSAND dogs a year" and she just said "yeah. But my brother in law has a nice chocolate lab."

me: "a YEAR".

Oh...this was at the vet at PetSmart, where she had to walk through an adoption event to get to the vets. There were at least 8 black labs out there

Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 AM

I congratulate you on your effort. Perhaps it didn't wake her up at the time, but I pray your words cycle through her thoughts. Sometimes, I have to let an idea "gel" for awhile -- sometimes a DECADE or TWO, before it really hits me. Worst case, she'll complain to a friend about this rude person she encountered at the Petsmart -- and then THAT person will "get it."

Life happens in the strangest ways...

Old 06-14-2009, 08:26 PM

68 posts, read 220,959 times
There is just no excuse for stupidity. PERIOD Those are the kind of people I would like to chain somewhere and starve them for a week, let them lay out there with no shelter, beat them a few times, put them in as a bait " person " and then shove their sorry asses in a 2 by 4 cage and oh gee and if nobody wants them walk em to the gas chamber cause a lot of states still use gas chambers for these poor innocent babies that STUPID PEOPLE LIKE HER allow to be born in the first place. And putting signs like that up is just asking for trouble of course not for the stupid person but for the POOR DOG who winds up God knows where. HOW DO THESE FREAKING PEOPLE SLEEP AT NIGHT IDIOTS !!!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2009, 12:43 PM

Exclamation Aggression kills any chance for positive change

Whoa, Titan -- deep breaths, slow and easy. I understand how one can get worked up, but don't let your anger disable you. Go punch a wall, or jump rope for awhile, and then remember that no one can be taught by abusive actions -- not animals, not people. Keep your heart open to the good, okay?

We're all in this world together. Let's make it a nice place to be. Okay?

Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
My husband and I were driving to our next RV park here in the Catskills, and I saw a hand-painted sign: "Red Pit Bull Puppies for Sale" and the phone number. My first inclination was to call them, and try to help them understand that this breed is already way, way over-represented in Animal Shelters, and if they wanted to support the breed, adopt. Of course, I immediately realized that would be stupid. (My first ideas usually are, darn it.)Anyway, my question is, what SHOULD one do, when one sees such a sign. Obviously, the person hasn't been enlightened, and I wouldn't want to alienate them by being presumptuous, but then I don't want to read more sad stories about pits, either.
Why would this sign be an issue for you? People have the right to sell puppies if they want no matter what the breed. It could have been a sign that was "Kittens for Sale"....There are lots of kitties in the shelters as well. Why would these people adopt a puppy when they have pups for sale?? Maybe they didn't plan on their dog having puppies?? Anyway you look at it it would have been a REAL bad idea had you called them. chances are you probably would have gotten told to MYOB...know what I mean? Unfortunately, you cannot control what people do with animals and for all you know, this could have been a nice family with nice puppies....better off left alone.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:05 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Why would this sign be an issue for you? People have the right to sell puppies if they want no matter what the breed. It could have been a sign that was "Kittens for Sale"....There are lots of kitties in the shelters as well. Why would these people adopt a puppy when they have pups for sale?? Maybe they didn't plan on their dog having puppies?? Anyway you look at it it would have been a REAL bad idea had you called them. chances are you probably would have gotten told to MYOB...know what I mean? Unfortunately, you cannot control what people do with animals and for all you know, this could have been a nice family with nice puppies....better off left alone.
WOW..........

if the seller was a reputable breeder, i'm guessing a hand-painted sign on the road would not have been necessary...... sure people have the "right" to sell puppies (and kittens for that matter) and keep breeding more to "sell" ..... but they should also be aware of what they are doing .... contributing to the ridiculous over-population of unwanted pets that are abandoned, tortured, starved until they are finally put to death .... humanely, one would hope.... but no guarantees there either....... it is a PRECIOUS FEW that wind up in good homes......

i am inclined to agree with the sentiment that the sellers are just trying to make a few bucks for themselves off of their dog..... with no thought at all to what is likely to happen to those pups that are sold through that sign......

didn't plan on the dog having puppies?? there is a very simple way to prevent that before the dog even goes through her first heat.......

Old 06-16-2009, 01:23 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,695,297 times
While I am not inclined to think that the puppy breeders were were that smart for selling puppies I think just showing up and yelling at people is way wrong I'm hoping nice people will drive past and happen to purchase these puppies. I am sure you can put your good intentions to far better use
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs