Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:47 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times

Advertisements

Why do you folks think that these puppies will not go to good homes?

What makes you think that buying a puppy from a "reputable breeder" is better than from the person with the sign in their yard?

And why should anyone have to deny themselfs a litter of pups if they want if they can find homes for them because of others irresponsibility. It is like saying no one should have their own child because there are orphans in the world.

Just some questions to think about. Before you yell at me, I am all for spay/neuter I even preach it. All my dogs are fixed. Although, most all of my animals have been rescues, I have bought puppies from individuals and they have all lived long happy lives. I have also sold puppies in the past that went to loving homes. "reputable breeders" often are no better than "backyard breeders" They just charge more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 02:09 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why do you folks think that these puppies will not go to good homes?

What makes you think that buying a puppy from a "reputable breeder" is better than from the person with the sign in their yard?

And why should anyone have to deny themselfs a litter of pups if they want if they can find homes for them because of others irresponsibility. It is like saying no one should have their own child because there are orphans in the world.

Just some questions to think about. Before you yell at me, I am all for spay/neuter I even preach it. All my dogs are fixed. Although, most all of my animals have been rescues, I have bought puppies from individuals and they have all lived long happy lives. I have also sold puppies in the past that went to loving homes. "reputable breeders" often are no better than "backyard breeders" They just charge more.
someone who hangs a hand painted sign on a road advertising puppies for sale, i'm guessin', is NOT going to be really particular about who buys the pups........ and yeah, maybe some will go to good, forever homes.... but odds are stacked against that being the case for all of them..... particularly with them being pit bulls...... thats just reality......

deny themselves a litter of puppies????

and human orphans are not killed because there are too many to take care of properly.......

Old 06-16-2009, 02:11 PM

261 posts, read 943,911 times
Default One of these things is not like the other....

Quote:

If human orphans were euthanized at the same rate as animals, you better believe the cry for their protection would be heard around the world. This is no comparison at all, too many animals with no home to go to equals animals put to death for the mere fact too many people want the so called "joy" of breeding or the "joy" of blissful ignorance, oops the pet is pregnant

Old 06-16-2009, 02:14 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
I think the most frustrating and damaging thing you can do to yourself is get worked up about how most people on this planet are inconsiderate, selfish, a bit stupid, thoughtless, etc. You'd be in a constant tizzy.

You can only control you and lead by example.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
someone who hangs a hand painted sign on a road advertising puppies for sale, i'm guessin', is NOT going to be really particular about who buys the pups........
And breeders who advertise via the internet or in the paper do? Im not saying it is a good thing, but I dont understand responses like titans in which people automatically think these animals will be abused and neglected.

Quote:
deny themselves a litter of puppies????
Perhaps a person has an animal they love and it possesses all the traits that are desirable, why is it so bad that person bred their dog to produce one of its offspring providing they sell or find homes for the others. Isnt that what breeders do except it just for the $$$?

Quote:
and human orphans are not killed because there are too many to take care of properly.......
No, but its the same premise. As long as there are unwanted children living in orphanages and passed from foster home to foster home, why dont we chastize all that choose not to adopt and insist on creating more children? Should all couples not have their own child because they have to pick up the slack of others who are irresponsible?

Again, Im all for spay/neuter, but I dont call people idiots and wish to starve and beat them because they are selling a litter of puppies. That sure beats seeing them dumped at a shelter or on the side of the road. Nor would I jump in their business. I have encouraged quite a few ppl to spay and even neuter their dogs. There is a right way and a wrong way to go about it.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think the most frustrating and damaging thing you can do to yourself is get worked up about how most people on this planet are inconsiderate, selfish, a bit stupid, thoughtless, etc. You'd be in a constant tizzy.

You can only control you and lead by example.
excellent point........

Old 06-16-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
And breeders who advertise via the internet or in the paper do? Im not saying it is a good thing, but I dont understand responses like titans in which people automatically think these animals will be abused and neglected.

Perhaps a person has an animal they love and it possesses all the traits that are desirable, why is it so bad that person bred their dog to produce one of its offspring providing they sell or find homes for the others. Isnt that what breeders do except it just for the $$$?

No, but its the same premise. As long as there are unwanted children living in orphanages and passed from foster home to foster home, why dont we chastize all that choose not to adopt and insist on creating more children? Should all couples not have their own child because they have to pick up the slack of others who are irresponsible?

Again, Im all for spay/neuter, but I dont call people idiots and wish to starve and beat them because they are selling a litter of puppies. That sure beats seeing them dumped at a shelter or on the side of the road. Nor would I jump in their business. I have encouraged quite a few ppl to spay and even neuter their dogs. There is a right way and a wrong way to go about it.
ACTUALLY..... the very fact that there ARE a huge number of children in need of homes, foster and permanent, factored heavily in my decision not to give birth to my own.....

but THAT is a whole 'nother topic in a whole 'nother forum.......

sorry .... as much as i love my bailey-dog, even if she had not been spayed at 4 months, i still would have never bred her, or even allowed an "accidental" pregnancy, just for the joys of a litter of pups, only one of whom would i have been ABSOLUTELY sure did not wind up in some shelter or worse......

Old 06-16-2009, 06:44 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I had a similar frustration today.

I was in the vet's lobby, and a woman with an 8 week old black lab came in, talking about first shots and such. The tech asked about spaying, and she said "no, we're going to breed her".

The tech asked her to spay after a litter, and listed some health reasons. After a min to get my courage up, I said "you know, our state euthanizes 32THOUSAND dogs a year" and she just said "yeah. But my brother in law has a nice chocolate lab."

me: "a YEAR".

Oh...this was at the vet at PetSmart, where she had to walk through an adoption event to get to the vets. There were at least 8 black labs out there

ugh Ugh UGH!!!

that is how i feel!!!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
well, this is how it was done back in the day and how it's still done in some parts of the country. neighbor's dog has pups, neighbor puts up a sign, other neighbors come by and buy the pups. in some cases like these, esp. in rural areas, these pups are crazy cheap so there isn't some massive profit to be had. I remember seeing these signs when visiting family friends in rural Alabama.

there are still places in the US where the idea of neutering your pet is almost unheard of. some parts of the US, like the NE, have few puppies due to successful neuter programs and education, but some other places, like the South and Midwest still have issues w/ this. sadly, signs like those are probably pretty common in some areas, but there really isn't much you can do about it and many people don't believe in neutering, which is sad, but you can't expect to educate them while driving through on your way to another location

Old 06-16-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
ugh Ugh UGH!!!

that is how i feel!!!
me too....... particularly living in missouri .... puppy mill capital of the country....... combine that with the backyard breeders and the people who just want to breed ONE LITTER....... well, you get the picture...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs