Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 PM

947 posts, read 3,414,318 times

Advertisements

I see signs all over ONE is TOO many...

yorkies
pits
shih tzus
labs
yeah, you can guess that most all of these people Selling these dogs for money are not caring about the individual animal, the health, their future etc etc etc, it is about the Money...
wow, It just SUCKS
I feel helpless and that itself makes me much more upset!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 05:45 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,582,574 times
Lightbulb Start HERE ... Together, WE can make a difference

Don't get mad, get active. The more I dig into this problem, the more I believe that ignorance, and not ill-intention is the problem.

If you are concerned about this situation, here's a few suggestions I am finding might make a difference:

Contact your local animal shelter(s) and ask them what the problems are in their view. Let them know YOU care, and even if you don't have time or money, your attention to the problem could very well make the difference. (Of course, if you do have the time or money -- those are good things to contribute, too.)

Write your local, state, and national government officials and tell them about your concerns.

Contact the schools in your area, and ask them if there are programs to educate the young people about responsible animal care and training.

Ask others you know to do the same thing.

Try to remain calm and communicate nicely. Venting doesn't help anything. (Remember how you feel when someone is aggressive with you about something that's irritated them.) Phrase your concerns positively, and include lots of well-thought out suggestions. Think before you speak or write -- what's the most effective way I can make my sentiments known?

Remember, every person whose mind you change is another person that can help.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:45 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,542,630 times
Here is a similiar thread with my comments. I commend the people who stand up against this type of situation! For someone to say, "I want to allow my dog/cat to have one litter" is simply an individual that is misinformed and not aware of the facts.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...ml#post8878606

Old 06-17-2009, 07:00 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,157,898 times
Some people will just never get it and they think because their dogs are papered they wont end up in shelters . I want to take those people through the shelter and let them see how many papered dogs are in there at one time . Obviously the dog got too big or whatever reason . Papers dont mean a thing when it comes down to it . It makes me crazy to see people still breeding their dogs knowing that most of those litters will end up in the kill shelter . No matter how hard you try then just cannot wrap their head around that thought . good luck

Old 06-17-2009, 07:19 AM

Dear 2Mares;

Your heart is kind, and you are unaware of some of the dangers that befall animals sold or given away to people less kind-hearted as yourself. I, too, once felt the same way. I have since learned that there are many, many people that through ignorance or neglect, (some by intention), add to the suffering of animals.

If you are concerned about the well-being of animals, you might do as I've done, and visit some shelters near you. Ask the shelter officials about the problems they experience. Many animals are given up, or dropped off because of behavioral issues. My research has revealed that many of these issues result from poor breeding, poor environment, or poor training.

As humane persons, I believe it is my obligation to help raise the human consciousness to an informed level. It starts with education of the general population. It continues by screening of potential owners to be certain they are selecting an animal that they can form a lasting relationship with throughout the animal's lifetime. It takes hold through successful individual training of an animal's owner WITH the animal.

Hope that clears up any confusion you might've had about the concerns.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:04 PM

737 posts, read 2,592,553 times
Just buy all of them, if you can, and then find good homes for them. Maybe you are supposed to have them... I don't know but if it was me was me, just buy them and the mom and dad. I know it hurts the pocket book but sometimes, you just gotta give up the bucks and eat rice and mac and cheese. But that's just me... poor in money but rich in canine love.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:40 PM

36,792 posts, read 31,072,414 times
Quote:
Dear 2Mares;

Your heart is kind, and you are unaware of some of the dangers that befall animals sold or given away to people less kind-hearted as yourself. I, too, once felt the same way. I have since learned that there are many, many people that through ignorance or neglect, (some by intention), add to the suffering of animals.

If you are concerned about the well-being of animals, you might do as I've done, and visit some shelters near you. Ask the shelter officials about the problems they experience. Many animals are given up, or dropped off because of behavioral issues. My research has revealed that many of these issues result from poor breeding, poor environment, or poor training.

As humane persons, I believe it is my obligation to help raise the human consciousness to an informed level. It starts with education of the general population. It continues by screening of potential owners to be certain they are selecting an animal that they can form a lasting relationship with throughout the animal's lifetime. It takes hold through successful individual training of an animal's owner WITH the animal.

Hope that clears up any confusion you might've had about the concerns.
That is a very nice post, thank you.

I am well aware of the things that happen. I live in an area where I see stray dogs on the side of the road, I see them tied to trees, I know hunters that just shot their hound because it didnt do something right, I seen animals covered in fleas and mange, I listen to susposidly educated who got a dog or cat for all the wrong reasons and ended up taking it to the pound and these include ppl who paid alot from a "reputable breeder". I hear the "why should I get my dog neutered, he cant have puppies". One guy thought his female wouldnt get pregnant because the male was tied up, I know ppl who had their pet euthinized because it bit them once or barked at a kid or because they were going on vacation and didnt want to bother with it. I could go on and on. I have seen improvement over the years in the number of abandon animals and the attitudes toward spay/neuter.

What I dont agree with is assuming that purchasing an animal from what is considered a "reputable breeder" is any better than and indiviudal selling a litter. I realize there are people that breed indiscriminately just to make some cash, but some "breeders" do this as well. Perhaps it is more of a problem in other areas.

Just for example. I had a couple come to buy a rott pup (a long time ago). They had purchased one from a breeder and it died (hit by a car I think). The breeder told them to keep the registration papers and buy another pup and use those papers. I didnt sell them one. I have a friend that bought a pup from a breeder that had etopic ureter. The breeder knew it and bred and sold anyway. I also took a dog from someone "byb" that had the same medical condition. So how is one so much better than the other.
I totally agree education is the key. I try all the time to get people to fix their animals and I have had some successes, but I will not get on a high horse and tell them they are idiots because they had a litter of pups.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:55 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,718,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Don't get mad, get active. The more I dig into this problem, the more I believe that ignorance, and not ill-intention is the problem.

If you are concerned about this situation, here's a few suggestions I am finding might make a difference:

Contact your local animal shelter(s) and ask them what the problems are in their view. Let them know YOU care, and even if you don't have time or money, your attention to the problem could very well make the difference. (Of course, if you do have the time or money -- those are good things to contribute, too.)

Write your local, state, and national government officials and tell them about your concerns.

Contact the schools in your area, and ask them if there are programs to educate the young people about responsible animal care and training.

Ask others you know to do the same thing.

Try to remain calm and communicate nicely. Venting doesn't help anything. (Remember how you feel when someone is aggressive with you about something that's irritated them.) Phrase your concerns positively, and include lots of well-thought out suggestions. Think before you speak or write -- what's the most effective way I can make my sentiments known?

Remember, every person whose mind you change is another person that can help.
I sooo agree with you! I really don't think calling up the person and yelling is going to help one tiny bit

Old 06-17-2009, 08:55 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,140,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Just buy all of them, if you can, and then find good homes for them. Maybe you are supposed to have them... I don't know but if it was me was me, just buy them and the mom and dad. I know it hurts the pocket book but sometimes, you just gotta give up the bucks and eat rice and mac and cheese. But that's just me... poor in money but rich in canine love.

Are you being facetious? I'll assume you're not, that you are serious...

Buying them all (or any) just feeds the "supply & demand", they'll get more and keep on with it.

(Mayberry, I can't rep you anymore!!)

Old 06-18-2009, 03:40 AM

Dear 2Mares;

Thank you for taking the time to share, so the readers (including me) can understand your views more fully. It's always better to speak from our own experiences than to reference things heard or read about.

I understand your optimism that good can happen from any source, and also realize the opposite it still true. My view is that I would rather curtail the potential dangers, even at the expense of the potential good.

Your elaboration brought another point to consider: what makes a RESPONSIBLE breeder. I've wondered that for sometime in the back of my mind, but it was just a vague notion until I read your post. Rather than add that to this thread, I will start another. I hope you will post your views, there.

Thanks, again, for your insights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs