Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:24 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times

Advertisements

and would that missouri legislators enacted tougher kennel controls...... we are trying, but it is a long and difficult road........

Here's good info from the HSUS about puppy mill regulations for every state. If you read what is now the law in VA you'll see that things are much better here than they were just a year ago. No more having several hundred females producing endless litters.

http://www.hsus.org/web-files/PDF/legislation/puppy-mill-laws-chart.pdf (broken link)

So write to your elected reps and tell them you would like them to sponsor a bill similar to what VA now has or even tougher. The fees to operate a kennel should be high enough to fund all the municipal shelters in the state at a very high quality of care level since many of the pups produced by the millers will wind up there. Ask others to do the same. Keep up the pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 01:00 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
thanks for that!! printing it out now for closer review..... all TEN PAGES.....

oh... and as an aside.... i checked out your profile pics.... what a menagerie you have.... and what a beautiful place for it.....

all those sweet faces....

Old 06-22-2009, 10:55 AM

947 posts, read 3,409,221 times
If the sign was all Pretty and professionally done,
I still would have the same reaction...

"Puppies for Sale"

it is what it is, how it looks, good or bad does not disguise the fact... *selling puppies when shelter animals are dying.

I have re-read OP over again... I do Not think the 1st and Main concern is the way the sign looks...
It is the Fact of the matter...
Selling puppies!
The sign could be in a bad area or nice area, either way it could be a painted sign or a profession sign...
So the need to "educate" others of the Over Pet Population is in my heart where ever the sign is and however it looks...
although I would not knock on their door or call them,...
I help in other ways by volunteering at shelters... not imposing on others, But yes there is a pet over population problem if some of us didn't know,
dogs awaiting homes are dying in the shelters!!!

Old 06-22-2009, 03:04 PM

41 posts, read 106,857 times
Selling puppies/dogs in a parking lot, along the road, etc., is illegal where I live. If one sees it you are to call the police.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:34 PM

34 posts, read 95,366 times
I adopted a beautiful pit bull and had her as a pet for 15 years. After she passed I couldn't get another( too sad) but adopted a lovely shnauzer. adoption is really the only way to go! Unfortunately the world is full of fools and people who are greedy enough to think they'll make a bundle by breeding.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:06 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
iolagranola: remember - ya can't fix stupid. That story makes me sad.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:54 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,629 times
The likely outcome is that these pups will be impulse buys from people with no idea of costs and tribulations involved in puppy rearing. Some will likely end up in a shelter. Anyone ready to buy a dog off the roadside has to be ill-informed about the responsibilities of pet ownership by default.

They do not have a right to sell puppies on the roadside if the city has an ordinance against it. Also, there could be educational billboards, literature and promo spots put out locally to discourage purchase of such pups. When it becomes more trouble than it is worth it will stop--eventually. (How about setting up shop next to them with signs and literature about the diogs euthansized that week at the local shelter?)

In our city there is a code against it and I call law enforcement whenever I see it. It is only through the pocketbook that it will stop.

Backyard breeding for profit should not remain an acceptable respectable practice despite the points to the contrary from posters on this thread. Public backlash, education of potential buyers, and city codes might combine to slow down these "out to lunch" folks and maybe shame will play a role as well.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:00 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
My first inclination was to call them, and try to help them understand that this breed is already way, way over-represented in Animal Shelters, and if they wanted to support the breed, adopt. Of course, I immediately realized that would be stupid. (My first ideas usually are, darn it.)

Anyway, my question is, what SHOULD one do, when one sees such a sign. Obviously, the person hasn't been enlightened, and I wouldn't want to alienate them by being presumptuous, but then I don't want to read more sad stories about pits, either.
enlightened? if people want to get a puppy and not an abused or abandoned dog in a shelter then thats what they should do. "support the breed," what does that mean? who cares to support a breed?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:30 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
enlightened? if people want to get a puppy and not an abused or abandoned dog in a shelter then thats what they should do. "support the breed," what does that mean? who cares to support a breed?
It is perfectly within your right to not care about the quality of a breed. If you do not care, so be it.

But for your info--if one wants a good solid well-bred dog with a good temperment that fills the expectations from a particular breed then good breeders are striving for that. If you want an animal wihout serious and expensive health issues then that is what a good breeder strives to provide.

What is a "good" breeder? Go to the web site of the breed club for a particular breed and they will list Best Practices for breeders and a list of those who follow them. This produces a quality pet for people putting their
money and emotion into the purchase.

If you do not care about the suffering of poorly bred sick or crippled animals, no one can force you. But there is a plight out there that many find abhorent and plead with all to consider.

FYI-If you want a dog that has not been abused and you want a good specimen---rescues have those as well. Sometimes a child develops an allergy, an elderly owner dies, or a marine is deployed--leaving excellent healthy wonderful dogs for adoption. Or you could buy from the above responsible breeder.

Saying you don't care suggests lack of knowledge or lack of heart--I am sure it is the former.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
It is perfectly within your right to not care about the quality of a breed. If you do not care, so be it.

If you do not care about the suffering of poorly bred sick or crippled animals, no one can force you. But there is a plight out there that many find abhorent and plead with all to consider.

Saying you don't care suggests lack of knowledge or lack of heart--I am sure it is the former.
i do care about the quality of the puppy that i purchase. however, thats not what the poster was talking about. she was suggesting that you are supporting the breed by "rescuing" dogs of that breed from a shelter. ultimately, i dont care enough about a breed so that i will compromise my future by getting a shelter dog.

i think its a sad situation for the dogs and its unfortunately. but that doesnt mean that we should have to get 2nd hand dogs when we can buy top quality 1st hand dogs.

saying i dont care doesnt suggest a lack of knowledge or lack of heart. it suggests that i have other things to care about that make more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs