Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:02 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times

Advertisements

oh ... and for what its worth .... was just on petfinder for a while.... starting my search for another dog for bailey......

and there are LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of pit bulls..... some just designated as "terriers," i'm guessin' so people might look closer.........

i have nothing against this breed.... the APBT's I have known personally over the years have been absolutely wonderful pets and companions..... just a real shame what human mistreatment has done to the breed and its reputation.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 01:26 PM

737 posts, read 2,588,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
That's frankly just not realistic. I've adopted 2 shelter dogs in the past year. I wanted to adopt them all. It broke my heart. How in the heck am I going to take care of them all? Two is enough . I have a house on a 1/5 acre lot, a 3 year old and another on the way. I can't fix the world's problems by myself, you just have to do your part. Plus, it would just encourage these idiots to breed more. That would be a big score for someone just to drive by and buy them all, talk about an easy payday!
I'm not going to fix the world's problems - as I've said and I'm quite consistant about my message... one at a time or as many as possible. Yes, I believe I could find homes or can take them on if need be. I don't have a 3 year old or a 1/5 acre lot, so yes, I do what I can which is a lot of hard work. I trap, sponsor, adopt and that is what I can do. Others are much more big hearted in fostering and setting up adoptions at Petsmart. That is not something I'm capable of doing.

We all do our part and we're all quite passionate, so please do not judge me. I do my small, quiet part and share my experience with this forum. If it is an unwelcomed experience, then I apologize. But am truley passionate about the canine companions and I do whatever it is that I can do as do so many others.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:45 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
good for you getting your pit bull and kitties out of the shelter .... made room for those that are coming in next after having been sold through a hand painted sign on the road, or on the walmart parking lot, or through a newspaper ad, or at a flea market or at a pet store......
You don't get it. The OP had no idea what was at the other end of that hand painted sign..she saw the sign and a phone number and ASSUMED that there were dogs there who were in trouble and ASSUMED that these people were not responsible because of a hand painted sign..RIDICULOUS assumption on her part. We have an old beat up pickup in our driveway that we want to refurbish....does that mean that the inside of our house is all beat up as well just because we have this old truck in our yard?? NO..I actually have a very nice home..clean, decorated tastefully by professionals...so don't assume that because there was a hand painted sign there that these dog breeders were not responsible. AND...yes, I am glad I took my pets out of the shelter and I would do it again and if you are also a concerned individual, the next time YOU want a pet, go to the shelter as well. If people are going to be RIGHT FIGHTERS for causes like dogs and overbreeding then be the right kind of a RIGHT FIGHTER and physically follow up with your ideals....work at the shelter, provide some care and love for these animals.

Now, you tell the rest of us who "get this" just what you think would have happened to this OP had she called the phone number on that "hand painted sign" and complained about these people selling puppies?? What do you suppose would have happened had the OP driven up the driveway to ths home and spouted off about this family selling dogs?? Like I said, had she been overly concerned about what they were doing, she should have called the SPCA...but only after she took a look at what was going on. She was basing her post on seeing a phone number and a puppies for sale sign and how does that qualify for cruelty to animals???

Because I am who I am and believe what I believe with regard to rescue, I probably would have taken a walk up to the door and asked to see these puppies for sale. Next, I would have acted like I may be interested so I could see the female and male who were bred to have these puppies then asked a few questions. This is what you do....you go see what is going on before you jump on the phone and harass someone. The OP made a smart decision to NOT simply call and state her case to these people and if she is still bothered by the "HANDPAINTED SIGN" then go back there and see what the story is............good grief!!

Old 06-20-2009, 05:55 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,552,952 times
Default After FINALLY getting to that answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
I probably would have taken a walk up to the door and asked to see these puppies for sale. Next, I would have acted like I may be interested so I could see the female and male who were bred to have these puppies then asked a few questions.
Thanks, Connecticut, for your eventual answer. Without all the accusations and attacks, it was helpful. Had we not been driving down the road in a 38' RV, towing a Wrangler, this would've been a good option.

~ OP

Old 06-20-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
You don't get it. The OP had no idea what was at the other end of that hand painted sign..she saw the sign and a phone number and ASSUMED that there were dogs there who were in trouble and ASSUMED that these people were not responsible because of a hand painted sign..RIDICULOUS assumption on her part. We have an old beat up pickup in our driveway that we want to refurbish....does that mean that the inside of our house is all beat up as well just because we have this old truck in our yard?? NO..I actually have a very nice home..clean, decorated tastefully by professionals...so don't assume that because there was a hand painted sign there that these dog breeders were not responsible. AND...yes, I am glad I took my pets out of the shelter and I would do it again and if you are also a concerned individual, the next time YOU want a pet, go to the shelter as well. If people are going to be RIGHT FIGHTERS for causes like dogs and overbreeding then be the right kind of a RIGHT FIGHTER and physically follow up with your ideals....work at the shelter, provide some care and love for these animals.

Now, you tell the rest of us who "get this" just what you think would have happened to this OP had she called the phone number on that "hand painted sign" and complained about these people selling puppies?? What do you suppose would have happened had the OP driven up the driveway to ths home and spouted off about this family selling dogs?? Like I said, had she been overly concerned about what they were doing, she should have called the SPCA...but only after she took a look at what was going on. She was basing her post on seeing a phone number and a puppies for sale sign and how does that qualify for cruelty to animals???

Because I am who I am and believe what I believe with regard to rescue, I probably would have taken a walk up to the door and asked to see these puppies for sale. Next, I would have acted like I may be interested so I could see the female and male who were bred to have these puppies then asked a few questions. This is what you do....you go see what is going on before you jump on the phone and harass someone. The OP made a smart decision to NOT simply call and state her case to these people and if she is still bothered by the "HANDPAINTED SIGN" then go back there and see what the story is............good grief!!
my ex and i restored several mid-60's muscle cars in our time together... but never had them out on the driveway in the process.... but that is beside the point...... i don't judge like you seem to think i do .... but we will have to agree to disagree ...... i suggest you take a look at the other thread that the op started about what constitutes a responsible breeder and you will see the vast difference in what the op described in her op and what is in reality a responsible breeder.

and i NEVER ONCE said anything about the op jumping on the phone and harrassing someone about the sale methods..... that would have been the wrong thing to do and more likely than not, created a wall of hostility and accomplished nothing positive..... i GET that........

and btw EVERY SINGLE ONE of my animals for the last 45 years has come out of the pound or a shelter or some other sort of rescue..... ie: out of a junkyard, taken from family or friends who did not want the animal anymore.... after they got it or bought it from something similar to what was described originally........

its possible that the dogs may not be in trouble right at this moment, but i will BET MONEY that some, if not most, of those puppies wind up in a shelter or worse at some point in their lives...... after the puppy cute has worn off.......one of the things noted quite often in the responsible breeder thread is that responsible breeders stand behind the pups, are careful about where they are placed and will take them back, no questions asked, if the buyer for whatever reason must give the puppy or dog up..... do you REALLY think that someone who hangs a sign about pups for sale on a HIGHWAY, or even a back or side road, is going to be willing to do THAT??

didn't think so......

i suspect that my perspective is likely tainted by living in a state that is known for puppy mills and i see the ads ALL THE TIME for these pups for sale.......

but again, i am willing to agree to disagree with you on this subject.......

Old 06-20-2009, 01:39 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,635 times
I think that maybe,...

the male and female mated by "accident", meaning that it was not planned and neither were "fixed" yet and well it happened, there are puppies...

now if it was a mistake (because there are too many for people to plan to make more baby doggies, esp. pits!!!...),... well, so if it was an "accident"...
what to do now!?!?
take good loving care of mom and babies and keep in good health,... find good homes...

How do you find good homes... for pits (or any dog, but pits are, well you know, used for fighting...)

So, do you advertise at all, well I guess you must, ... in some way,
do you post a sign on the street?
do you post an ad on craigs list?
post ad on just animal sites?
just tell rescue group, hope they have room
contact humane society, hope they have room
screen people intensely and hope they are a great fit?

do you ask for money at all, selling these dogs???

For me, if this "happened" (actually, never see it to ever be possible but just let me say that it did!), now at this moment, I am not sure what I would do...

I suppose I would plan before they were born, find fosters when they would be ready to leave mom and get help!
ok... as for finding them all homes...
I suppose I would plan before they were ready to go too, finding them good homes, working hard, talking to rescue org's and explaining situation.

IF in fact all that didn't work out well, and they had to go (space limited in home) to a new home pretty soon,
I would, if need be pay money to an organization that is a no kill rescue group, give them food, money, supplies for them to be the ones to find a great home for these puppies...

Gosh, that would be a lot of work, but I would do it all, everything that I can to ensure a quality life for the future for these dogs. that is the right thing in my mind and for my conscious.
...glad I would never "put" myself in that position though...!

So, the "Sign", for me it is not that fact of the way the sign looks, it is that I just see soooo many signs selling doggies, are all these "mistakes"? probably not...
are there lots of dogs at the shelters, rescue groups, in foster care... Yeah!
So, to me it is the fact that I keep seeing these signs and ads everywhere, when there are Still sooo many dogs waiting at a shelter, (of some sort) waiting for you, waiting to be adopted, before being killed...

if we kept on "buying" pups from the road side, it will demand more pups and then more pups... the cycle will continue...

for Me, I don't want to be part of that cycle, I want to be a part of the cycle that agrees there are too many and choose to get them altered to hopefully slow the cycle down!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Thanks, Connecticut, for your eventual answer. Without all the accusations and attacks, it was helpful. Had we not been driving down the road in a 38' RV, towing a Wrangler, this would've been a good option.

~ OP
What do you mean "eventual answwer"...good grief. There were no accusations or attacks in my posts, just frustration over the fact that you simply cannot and should not poke your nose into anyone elses business until you have more facts. People don't like intrusion into their "stuff" and sometimes it can get dicey when you choose to get in someones business.

What's the fact that you were driving down the road in your big RV towing a Wrangler got to do with the sign? Do you perhaps think that you would have been intimidating them or is it simply a case of not having anywhere to put your RV and Wrangler? I am assuming it is a case of not having a place to stop and park while you investigated.

Look, this whole post got out of hand and I wasn't the only one who got in YOUR stuff over this. No harm was meant and no foul intended. As I mentioned over and over and over...I too am a huge advocate of rescue but am also a huge advocate of live and let live. If we could all right all the wrongs of the world by simply challenging a sale sign handwritten on wood, life would be so easy...it is what lies at the end of the road from that sale sign that is the challenge and it could have been something you may not have wanted to be involved in.

So....Peace out my friend and happy RV-ing!!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
my ex and i restored several mid-60's muscle cars in our time together... but never had them out on the driveway in the process.... but that is beside the point...... i don't judge like you seem to think i do .... but we will have to agree to disagree ...... i suggest you take a look at the other thread that the op started about what constitutes a responsible breeder and you will see the vast difference in what the op described in her op and what is in reality a responsible breeder.and i NEVER ONCE said anything about the op jumping on the phone and harrassing someone about the sale methods..... that would have been the wrong thing to do and more likely than not, created a wall of hostility and accomplished nothing positive..... i GET that........and btw EVERY SINGLE ONE of my animals for the last 45 years has come out of the pound or a shelter or some other sort of rescue..... ie: out of a junkyard, taken from family or friends who did not want the animal anymore.... after they got it or bought it from something similar to what was described originally........its possible that the dogs may not be in trouble right at this moment, but i will BET MONEY that some, if not most, of those puppies wind up in a shelter or worse at some point in their lives...... after the puppy cute has worn off.......one of the things noted quite often in the responsible breeder thread is that responsible breeders stand behind the pups, are careful about where they are placed and will take them back, no questions asked, if the buyer for whatever reason must give the puppy or dog up..... do you REALLY think that someone who hangs a sign about pups for sale on a HIGHWAY, or even a back or side road, is going to be willing to do THAT??didn't think so......i suspect that my perspective is likely tainted by living in a state that is known for puppy mills and i see the ads ALL THE TIME for these pups for sale.......
but again, i am willing to agree to disagree with you on this subject.......
For starters, our old pickup is COVERED during the bad weather, put inside during the COLD weather and is waiting to be taken to someone to help with the refurbishing. We have a two car garage that is full and have hired someone to help us get the refurbishing done. You said you don't judge...so why start your post with this statement to begin with? Oh, I see, you felt I hit low on this one so you had to hit back...not my intention to start world war 3 over this whole puppy for sale sign issue.

If you read the original post you will see that the poster was kind of on the fence over what to do about this sign and was tossing around the idea of calling the sellers. This poor person who merely put up a sign to sell puppies got crucified and pre judged for doing so. No one, especially anyone on this forum has the right to assume that these are irresponsible breeders who would sell their puppies to abusive people....AND..how would they know a buyer was abusive until it actually happened. My God....leave this one alone.

You can buy a puppy directly from a pet store and it can die from Parvo...heartworm or other birth defects. People do get dogs from breeders and STILL give them to the shelter. My husband and I visit the local shelter all the time and visit with the kitties and dogs there...walk the dogs too. I saw a young couple walk into the shelter with pure bred chocolate lab and leave it there...they were moving and had no place to put the dog. It broke my heart. It isn't just people in the country with a sign up who have nasty puppy breeding issues going on. When I was a kid, I got a puppy from someone in our neighborhood....he lived 17 years and was very healthy.

Look, I am glad you have been an adopter for the past 45 years...good for you. I have never purchased a dog from a breeder because there are too many people out there who abuse and dump animals. I have an adopted pit bull and two adopted kitties and will continue to take in unwanted animals until I am 90 if need be.

My point was totally misconstrued....I will still maintain that if you or anyone else believes that there is pet abuse, puppy milling, or any other type of animal abuse going on...call the SPCA or your local canine officers. It is just simply not a great idea to go and get in someone elses business with no basis for the intrusion.

Oh.....we have already been offered cash on the spot for our old pickup...un-refurbished...so much for keeping it covered all the time, huh?

Old 06-21-2009, 05:12 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,378,674 times
In my area there are a fair number of hand painted signs for Labs 4 Sale, Aussies 4 Sale, etc. Most are on wood and have been up for years. So those are not a one time thing. On my photo album of foster dogs you can see 3 Aussie pups that my HS pulled from the pound. They were the remaining dogs from a litter of 7. The owner had sold 4 and these were getting too old so he surrenders them to the pound. An then he breeds another litter.

We also get lots of calls from folks who say they have an "oops" litter, meant to get mom fixed just didn't get to it in time. Then we often discover that this is the second, third or fourth "oops". We now only take the kittens or pups if and when they bring mom to our low cost spay shuttle and end the cycle. We learned the hard way by taking the youngsters and then 6 months later another call for help with another batch of accidental pups or kittens because they did not follow through.

But as maddening as those situations are it is the large commercial puppy mills that I really hate. I'd read about mills and seen pictures but it wasn't until my group, along with many others, participated in a huge local rescue of over 700 dogs and pups. The operator had over 1,100 dogs, a city permit for 500 dogs max and had 2 employees to care for 1,100 dogs and puppies. The one good thing that came out of this case was that it brought so much attention to the problem that the VA legislature enacted new laws regulating commercial "kennels". It won't completely solve the problem but it has given AC more power to inspect, really reduced the number of animals allowed etc and will in time make a big difference. The miller in the above case has now moved to OH but the local authorities at least are aware of his presence and may be able to keep his operation to a minimum.

One of his employees, in talking to the press early on, claimed that we had "stolen" $500,000 worth of inventory just before the Christmas season. I've always wondered if that's how much the owner reported to the IRS.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
For starters, our old pickup is COVERED during the bad weather, put inside during the COLD weather and is waiting to be taken to someone to help with the refurbishing. We have a two car garage that is full and have hired someone to help us get the refurbishing done. You said you don't judge...so why start your post with this statement to begin with? Oh, I see, you felt I hit low on this one so you had to hit back...not my intention to start world war 3 over this whole puppy for sale sign issue.

If you read the original post you will see that the poster was kind of on the fence over what to do about this sign and was tossing around the idea of calling the sellers. This poor person who merely put up a sign to sell puppies got crucified and pre judged for doing so. No one, especially anyone on this forum has the right to assume that these are irresponsible breeders who would sell their puppies to abusive people....AND..how would they know a buyer was abusive until it actually happened. My God....leave this one alone.

You can buy a puppy directly from a pet store and it can die from Parvo...heartworm or other birth defects. People do get dogs from breeders and STILL give them to the shelter. My husband and I visit the local shelter all the time and visit with the kitties and dogs there...walk the dogs too. I saw a young couple walk into the shelter with pure bred chocolate lab and leave it there...they were moving and had no place to put the dog. It broke my heart. It isn't just people in the country with a sign up who have nasty puppy breeding issues going on. When I was a kid, I got a puppy from someone in our neighborhood....he lived 17 years and was very healthy.

Look, I am glad you have been an adopter for the past 45 years...good for you. I have never purchased a dog from a breeder because there are too many people out there who abuse and dump animals. I have an adopted pit bull and two adopted kitties and will continue to take in unwanted animals until I am 90 if need be.

My point was totally misconstrued....I will still maintain that if you or anyone else believes that there is pet abuse, puppy milling, or any other type of animal abuse going on...call the SPCA or your local canine officers. It is just simply not a great idea to go and get in someone elses business with no basis for the intrusion.

Oh.....we have already been offered cash on the spot for our old pickup...un-refurbished...so much for keeping it covered all the time, huh?

goes again to a responsible / reputable breeder being careful and particular about the homes the pups go to ..... and then being willing to take the pup or even grown dog BACK if for some reason the buyer can not keep it....... that breeder is doing everything in his or her power to ensure that the carefully bred pups do NOT wind up in shelters or worse......

puppies bought from pet stores are typically from puppy mills or profit motivated back yard breeders that have no care, thought or regard for the health of the pups or parents.......your pit bull is likely a representation of THAT.......so it is hardly surprising that they are so prone to health problems, congenital and acquired.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
In my area there are a fair number of hand painted signs for Labs 4 Sale, Aussies 4 Sale, etc. Most are on wood and have been up for years. So those are not a one time thing. On my photo album of foster dogs you can see 3 Aussie pups that my HS pulled from the pound. They were the remaining dogs from a litter of 7. The owner had sold 4 and these were getting too old so he surrenders them to the pound. An then he breeds another litter.

We also get lots of calls from folks who say they have an "oops" litter, meant to get mom fixed just didn't get to it in time. Then we often discover that this is the second, third or fourth "oops". We now only take the kittens or pups if and when they bring mom to our low cost spay shuttle and end the cycle. We learned the hard way by taking the youngsters and then 6 months later another call for help with another batch of accidental pups or kittens because they did not follow through.

But as maddening as those situations are it is the large commercial puppy mills that I really hate. I'd read about mills and seen pictures but it wasn't until my group, along with many others, participated in a huge local rescue of over 700 dogs and pups. The operator had over 1,100 dogs, a city permit for 500 dogs max and had 2 employees to care for 1,100 dogs and puppies. The one good thing that came out of this case was that it brought so much attention to the problem that the VA legislature enacted new laws regulating commercial "kennels". It won't completely solve the problem but it has given AC more power to inspect, really reduced the number of animals allowed etc and will in time make a big difference. The miller in the above case has now moved to OH but the local authorities at least are aware of his presence and may be able to keep his operation to a minimum.

One of his employees, in talking to the press early on, claimed that we had "stolen" $500,000 worth of inventory just before the Christmas season. I've always wondered if that's how much the owner reported to the IRS.
stolen $500K worth of inventory????

and would that missouri legislators enacted tougher kennel controls...... we are trying, but it is a long and difficult road........

i suspect my baily is from at minimum a 2nd "oops" litter..... i have met other people a couple of times with dogs that are built and look very similar to her, adopted from the same shelter as she was, but are a year or so older than she is......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs