Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 06:21 AM

5,511 posts, read 7,104,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Six years? That's awful!
Their average lifespan is seven years. I had two, first one lived 8 years the other 7.
I'll still get another as it's the best 7 years of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 06:28 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Imagine if people bought dogs that matched their needs, climate, geography. How different the dogs would be.

I need a single coated dog, who likes the water, can deal with hot weather, has herding characteristics, will hunt, good watch dog, family friendly, doesn't bark a lot, tough and resilient... who isn't dumber than a bag of rocks.

Find my dog.

Old 11-29-2023, 06:47 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Imagine if people bought dogs that matched their needs, climate, geography. How different the dogs would be.

I need a single coated dog, who likes the water, can deal with hot weather, has herding characteristics, will hunt, good watch dog, family friendly, doesn't bark a lot, tough and resilient... who isn't dumber than a bag of rocks.

Find my dog.
Standard Poodle. Portuguese Water Dog.

Old 11-29-2023, 07:44 AM

11,001 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Are you saying Golden Retrievers have fierce dispositions?

I guess any dog can be an anomaly, but my experience with Goldens are that they're big happy love bugs who want to be lap dogs, unless you have a tennis ball. lol
That's generally true. I've only met 2 goldens that were fierce. One of them killed a cat I had years ago. I think those 2 were anomalies. They just weren't happy dogs and had a mean streak. Who knows why those 2 had tweaked brains... it could be nature, could be nurture, or both. I'd have a golden in a heartbeat.

Old 11-29-2023, 08:42 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Standard Poodle. Portuguese Water Dog.
PWD is close... but isn't the best watch dog, way too friendly and can be vocal. Lots of long fur and need grooming. I Like dogs with skin coats (short-tight-fur).However... I like Portuguese Water dogs.

SPD is also close... but is too friendly and the hair must be cut (doesn't have fur). Super high energy. I like Standard Poodles.

I prefer dogs who are more independent and less "come pet me" type dogs. My dog of choice has been Catahoula's over the years.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/catahoula-leopard-dog/

Lost my last Catahoula recently to kidney disease. Currently I have a 5 month old Catahoula Cur. She was born to a farm dog that works cattle every day.

Old 11-29-2023, 09:01 AM

6,859 posts, read 4,853,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Bouvier des Flandres (I met one once), but, I do not do dogs as I am a cat person with her final two cats already.

About the Breed
They don't build 'em like this anymore. Burly and barrel-chested, the tousle-coated dog of Flandres is from a time and place where a dog had to work like '¦ well, a dog. These smart and steady all-purpose workers make excellent watchdogs. Standing as high as 27.5 inches, with heavy bone and powerful muscles beneath a weatherproof coat, and an impressive head accented by beard and mustache, Bouviers can do anything that needs doing in a barnyard or pasture except milk the cows. And yet, Bouviers are more than just farm equipment. Their sterling character, huge heart, and keen intelligence endear them to dog lovers the world over. The Bouvier work ethic must be accommodated, and happily the breed's versatility allows them to do myriad tasks. Bouviers are excellent watchdogs and guardians, and eager participants in dog sports, especially herding trials. These strong-willed dogs do best with owners who can devote ample time and space to a top-of-the-line working dog.
Ours was blond with a black beard. He was very smart. We had to spell in front of him if we were discussing things about him, whether he could go with us, whether he needed a bath. Little everyday things. He would herd the cats into what became their chair He'd herd children into it also.

Old 11-29-2023, 09:28 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,964,723 times
We have had so many different breeds come through our home because we've fostered for many years. Although most were mixed breeds, their genetic make-up was often predominantly one breed from their mixed heritage.

We did however foster a full bred standard schnauzer and that boy was gorgeous! He was also a wonderful sweet tempered dog and very easy to train. We didn't foster him for very long because it was very easy to adopt him out (lucky lady who adopted him!) I did the home visit for him and he met his prospective adopter as if he had known her all his life and just made himself right at home. I don't know if all schnauzers have that kind of disposition but he stole my heart and made me a fan of schnauzers.

So, although I would love to have one for my own, the size of the standard schnauzer would be too much for me because of my current physical limitations. The schnauzer we fostered came to us over ten years ago but I'll never forget him

Old 11-29-2023, 11:07 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
I prefer dogs who are more independent and less "come pet me" type dogs.
Another reason I don't have a dog. A dog following me around the house literally drives me bonkers. Do they make any that leave you alone LOL??
Cats are so much better at that - guess that's why I always preferred them.

Old 11-29-2023, 03:11 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,172,411 times
Quote:
Belgium Malinois
They are a LOT of dog! I don't believe there is a better dog than a well-bred Mal/Dutch....they can do damn near anything and do it exceptionally well. My current KNPV female requires far more training, physical and mental exercise (4-5 hours every day) than most people would be able to accommodate. I spend a lot of time talking people out of purchasing these dogs because I know they won't follow through with what these dogs need. Unfortunately they have become pretty popular, which in the long run, will be detrimental to the breed.

Old 11-29-2023, 03:41 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Another reason I don't have a dog. A dog following me around the house literally drives me bonkers. Do they make any that leave you alone LOL??
Cats are so much better at that - guess that's why I always preferred them.
Considering that there are individuals within any breed or bloodline, there are more independent breeds:

Akita
Jindo
Shiba Inu
basenji
some herders that need to work stock independently (they'll make their own decisions. You can take it or leave it)
territory/flock guardians (they don't really care if you're there or not. They're on duty)
sled dogs (as long as they can run they don't care who comes along)

However, some herders are so called shadow or velcro dogs. Cattledogs tend to be IME. If you have one you'll never go to the bathroom by yourself again. Compared that to a sprawled out lab who probably won't move if you step right over them. As long as you're alive somewhere they'll be happy .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs