Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 07:47 PM

76 posts, read 50,039 times

Advertisements

What dog do you love but would never have?

My answer would be the same for cats: all of them.

I can no longer stand the heart ache that comes with their passing. It is too much for me to bear. So as much as I love furry little buddies I content myself with playing with other people's dogs at the dog park. It is just how it is. How Mark Levin does what he does with shelter dogs is beyond me; I am not strong enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 08:07 PM

1,824 posts, read 800,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
They generally won't jump fences unless trained to or at least strongly encouraged. Ours has never gone over our fence and it's less than 5 feet. Neither has our Belgian Malinois, and he will jump ON to things higher than our fence if encouraged. We had a GSD and she never jumped a fence until I told her to, and even then she stayed within the yard (respected the fence) unless a frisbee or something went over it.

We had a Vizmaraner (Weimaraner/Vizsla mix) with bad separation anxiety and she immediately jumped over the 6 foot kennel we put her in, and then over an 8' exterior fence to get back to me. She was a rescue dog so no idea if somebody trained her to jump, but no practical fence could contain her. She also once jumped out of a second story window because I left the house and didn't realize this was going to be a thing. Somehow she wasn't injured from it.

There are other reasons to avoid Dobermans, mostly all the genetic health problems they inherit and their shortening lifespans. Fortunately, it's relatively inexpensive to test for them now, but it doesn't help one much if you already have the dog.

I have my fifth Doberman. They are/were all rescues, all females, none of them attempt/ed to jump fences, although one leapt out the window of our SUV in the middle of the woods to chase elk.

They are much maligned. They are loving, loyal, protective family dogs. I didn’t intend to fall in love with them, but I did. However, as noted above, they have many genetic issues that shorten their lifespans & that kills me a little every time.

Old 11-27-2023, 12:53 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Adore the Irish setter and the Border collie.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:44 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
First, of course, whatever dog, has to be cat friendly. So Heelers and Aussie sheepdogs may be out of the question. The second item is that while such dogs may appeal to a time when I was Kara (you might know her as Supergirl), I may no longer have the energy nor agility for such a dog.......just lots of land.

I seem to have this thing for Labradors. Are they cat friendly?

But what dog I am to have is not my choice for when I am to have a dog, the Angels will send the dog or dogs to me. I am a rescuer and a foster and take them as they come.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:24 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
First, of course, whatever dog, has to be cat friendly.
Amen to that! Years and years ago, I had to rehome a rescue dog I got from Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah. They told me she was cat friendly, but within just a couple of days after she became part of our family, she became hellbent on killing our cat. We worked with her for a solid year before we finally gave up and rehomed her to a home without any cats. She was the sweetest little dog imaginable to both people and other dogs, but boy! did she have a thing for cats.

Quote:
But what dog I am to have is not my choice for when I am to have a dog, the Angels will send the dog or dogs to me.
I know what you mean. Two of the last three dogs I've had, I could swear God led me to find.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:24 AM

2,023 posts, read 1,313,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
For me, it's an Afghan Hound. Every time I see one in a dog show, I'm absolutely mesmerized by the way their hair flows when they're walking and how regal they look when they're just standing still. I would never have one for a number of reasons, but I absolutely love them!
I've had two Afghans. I think they're great dogs, but they're not like any other dog I or family have had.
I would not get another unless I moved to a place with some land to run around on, and they're truly a joy to watch. Otherwise, they spend their days lying on the sofa while planning their next escape.

They have a reputation for being dumb, but if you're not looking directly at them, they're incredibly crafty.
One of mine figured out to operate doorknobs, so I was often was visited in the bathroom. It surprised some guests from time to time, lol.
I would come home from work, and the dog would be lying apparently asleep on the sofa, but when I went into the bedroom, the waterbed would be rocking as if a dog had just jumped off it. Huh.
I've also come home and caught the dog in the bed a few times The odd thing was that the weirdo had pulled the bedroom door shut before getting in bed. Oh, and I had never told the dog she couldn't get on the bed.

Old 11-27-2023, 10:22 AM

579 posts, read 432,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
First, of course, whatever dog, has to be cat friendly. So Heelers and Aussie sheepdogs may be out of the question.
Aussies vary on this. I have a mini currently, and had a Standard before that, and neither had any interest at all in the cats.

I only really love a couple of breeds, and I would still get those. But others that I like and probably wouldn't get: Huskies, Malamutes. I like the way they look, but I don't think they'd be as trainable. I had an Aussie/Husky mix once, and she was completely uncooperative. She ended up running out into traffic.

I'm really more of a cat person.

Old 11-27-2023, 10:36 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post
Aussies vary on this. I have a mini currently, and had a Standard before that, and neither had any interest at all in the cats.

I only really love a couple of breeds, and I would still get those. But others that I like and probably wouldn't get: Huskies, Malamutes. I like the way they look, but I don't think they'd be as trainable. I had an Aussie/Husky mix once, and she was completely uncooperative. She ended up running out into traffic.

I'm really more of a cat person.
A not so close friend of mine needed to rehome her Husky but since Huskies came up as seeing cats as chasable munchies, I could not help her.

I can probably isolate such a dog in the house for a while, but I have been in such housing arrangements before and it is hell. That is, when I lived in two apartments and some cats had one and others had the other, I had to make the decision where to sleep each night to be with who.

Being under the same roof but with two locked doors in between is really not the answer.

Old 11-27-2023, 10:37 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times
love dogs.
Shih tzu are lap dogs and need to be with a companion practically all the time. Very stubborn and they know it.

Old 11-27-2023, 11:49 AM

816 posts, read 444,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
love dogs.
Shih tzu are lap dogs and need to be with a companion practically all the time. Very stubborn and they know it.
My 75 lb mutt rescue thinks he's a lap dog too. Spoiled baby. My wife works from home, so the spoiling is quadroupled.

He's too cute though, so he gets away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs