Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 12:43 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Six years? That's awful!
I think it's actually closer to 8 years, but it is still awful. Quite a few of the extra large breeds have extremely short lifespans (eg Bernese, Great Danes). Some large LGD that are recently closer to landrace than breed are exceptional (eg Kangal, 12-15). Others which are still recently landrace rather than breed, like Ovcharkas, are in between at 10-12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 02:15 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I absolutely adore Golden Retrievers! But they shed so much, I just wouldn't be able to deal with it. Great Danes--the short life span would be so difficult and we just don't have a big enough house (or food budget ).
Both of them have fierce dispositions. I prefer to admire and pet other people's dogs than walk any in all kinds of weather. So I love dogs; would not have them.

Old 11-27-2023, 03:34 PM

661 posts, read 2,897,260 times
Love, love, love Irish Wolfhounds. I worked at a kennel that bred them and had a neighbor with two, so I've had quite a bit of time around them. I love how they look and I love their sweet dispositions. I always thought someday I'd have one. But at 70 years old with both hips replaced, and finding i can just about handle walking a Boston and a Cairn, I feel like that ship has sailed.

Old 11-27-2023, 03:41 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Pugs…they’re so ugly that I think they’re adorable, but I just can’t do small dogs anymore.
Sheltie. The HAIR!!!!!

Old 11-27-2023, 04:20 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
I've had an Afghan. Sweet dog, but she could clear a fence like it wasn't there. A doberman. A very good dog , protective and smart. He would run pff if he wasn't under constant surveillance. If he got to the woods he would pretend he couldn't hear you. The best dog I had was a Bouvier des Flanders. If I ever get another dog, that's the breed for me.

I did once want an Irish Wolfhound but was put off by the short life span. Sweet dogs, tho.

I think the french bull dogs are adorable but I would never own a dog with a snout that guarantees breathing issues. I think it should be illegal to breed for smashed faces.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:35 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,672,910 times
Shiba Inu and Basenji..love the two breeds but have read they are difficult to train..don't know if that's true or not?

We had a Norwegian Elkhound once--a really teriffic dog but the two annual sheds were incredible...tumbleweeds of hair clouds blowing everywhere--even with daily brushing...

Old 11-27-2023, 07:15 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Pugs…they’re so ugly that I think they’re adorable, but I just can’t do small dogs anymore.
Sheltie. The HAIR!!!!!
I just lost a dog that was 55% Pomeranian ands 45% Pug. He was the cutest, sweetest thing you ever saw. I didn't know what breed he was when I rescued him, and if anyone had told me that one day I'd own a Pug, I would have said "No way!"

Old 11-27-2023, 07:16 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I've had an Afghan. Sweet dog, but she could clear a fence like it wasn't there.
OP here. I'm jealous!

Old 11-27-2023, 08:39 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,671,627 times
I always wanted a cocker spaniel but you don’t hear much about them these days. I think there was a problem with inbreeding that caused health issues. Hopefully that is sorted out.

It took me so long to get over the loss of my only dog that I can’t go through it again, so I enjoy my grand dogs whenever I can.

Old 11-28-2023, 03:13 AM

7,597 posts, read 3,254,071 times
Bouvier des Flandres (I met one once), but, I do not do dogs as I am a cat person with her final two cats already.

About the Breed
They don't build 'em like this anymore. Burly and barrel-chested, the tousle-coated dog of Flandres is from a time and place where a dog had to work like '¦ well, a dog. These smart and steady all-purpose workers make excellent watchdogs. Standing as high as 27.5 inches, with heavy bone and powerful muscles beneath a weatherproof coat, and an impressive head accented by beard and mustache, Bouviers can do anything that needs doing in a barnyard or pasture except milk the cows. And yet, Bouviers are more than just farm equipment. Their sterling character, huge heart, and keen intelligence endear them to dog lovers the world over. The Bouvier work ethic must be accommodated, and happily the breed's versatility allows them to do myriad tasks. Bouviers are excellent watchdogs and guardians, and eager participants in dog sports, especially herding trials. These strong-willed dogs do best with owners who can devote ample time and space to a top-of-the-line working dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs