Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 05:04 PM

820 posts, read 446,817 times

Advertisements

I'm with Wartrace, I love the Great Pyrenes. I dig the huge dogs (smallest dog I ever had was 50 lbs), but they shed sooo much and droll like an open faucet. Plus, they need a job or they get destructive. Been around them enough, although I know there are always unique ones that break the common traits in the breed.

They are a beautiful dog though.

I need to add the BEAUTIFUL Bernice Mountain Dog. But their life span is an average of only 6 years. I would be so sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2023, 06:11 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
I need to add the BEAUTIFUL Bernice Mountain Dog. But their life span is an average of only 6 years. I would be so sad.
Six years? That's awful!

Old 11-25-2023, 06:12 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
St. Bernard. Lovable dogs but I don't want to pay so much to feed them or pick up their turds.

Old 11-25-2023, 06:18 PM

1,827 posts, read 806,114 times
I love German Shepherd dogs but I don’t know if I could keep up with their activity level at my life stage.

We had a rescue Pomeranian who thought he was a big dog, so fun & full of energy. But he had a congenital heart problem, don’t think I could handle the vet bills now, or my own broken heart.

Old 11-25-2023, 10:06 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,899,912 times
I always wanted a collie, but the long heads turn me off and the problems with getting their ears to tip aren't something I want to deal with. And I especially don't want a prick eared collie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
or train them better! I've owned several and in some cases never even had a fenced yard (had the yard but no fence!).

I had a big male years ago that I could leave him sitting at the front door (outside) and go to work and he would be sitting there when I got home. That dog was all business and really was keyed in on stranger danger vs not. He was a silent thinker, but if he did bark the show was on and you better look because something isn't right.

Dobermans are really homebodies, they don't wander much
Cough Cough The hell they don't. LMAO!

Have you never heard what the difference between a Doberman and German shepherd is?

If you take a German shepherd puppy out into a field and leave him there, he'll start crying for you to come back for him or he'll follow you out. If you take a Doberman puppy out into a field and leave him there, you'll eventually have to go back looking for him because being as independent as they are, a Doberman puppy will just get up and start exploring and exploring and exploring.

You're right, though, you can train them to not jump fences except under command. My Dobe could jump 6 55-gallon barrels laying side by side (12 1/2 feet length), jump up a 6ft A frame and clear 4ft without touching the jump, but I kept him fenced in with a 3ft fence around my yard.

Old 11-25-2023, 11:17 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,911,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

Doberman - Love them but I would have to install a taller fence.
They generally won't jump fences unless trained to or at least strongly encouraged. Ours has never gone over our fence and it's less than 5 feet. Neither has our Belgian Malinois, and he will jump ON to things higher than our fence if encouraged. We had a GSD and she never jumped a fence until I told her to, and even then she stayed within the yard (respected the fence) unless a frisbee or something went over it.

We had a Vizmaraner (Weimaraner/Vizsla mix) with bad separation anxiety and she immediately jumped over the 6 foot kennel we put her in, and then over an 8' exterior fence to get back to me. She was a rescue dog so no idea if somebody trained her to jump, but no practical fence could contain her. She also once jumped out of a second story window because I left the house and didn't realize this was going to be a thing. Somehow she wasn't injured from it.

There are other reasons to avoid Dobermans, mostly all the genetic health problems they inherit and their shortening lifespans. Fortunately, it's relatively inexpensive to test for them now, but it doesn't help one much if you already have the dog.

Old 11-26-2023, 08:03 AM

820 posts, read 446,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Six years? That's awful!
I know. How sad.

Old 11-26-2023, 11:29 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,239,268 times
Any dog that isn't a rescue, I have 3 - one was a foundling - she was dumped in a local park. I prefer medium to large dogs but love all dogs, pedigrees included, I just wouldn't purchase one.

Old 11-26-2023, 02:16 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Any dog that isn't a rescue, I have 3 - one was a foundling - she was dumped in a local park. I prefer medium to large dogs but love all dogs, pedigrees included, I just wouldn't purchase one.
I admire you; really, I do. Right now, I have two dogs and two cats. Both cats were rescues in the truest sense of the word. I just lost a dog that I rescued (also in the truest sense of the word) from a so-called rescuer. I have two other dogs whose owners needed to rehome. You may not consider these two to be actual rescues, but in a sense they were. If someone is looking to rehome a dog and no one comes forward to take that dog, it ends up in a shelter.

Now, back on topic...

Old 11-26-2023, 07:32 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,184,967 times
I absolutely adore Golden Retrievers! But they shed so much, I just wouldn't be able to deal with it. Great Danes--the short life span would be so difficult and we just don't have a big enough house (or food budget ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs